Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Urban
Great article from the most underrated coach in the league and best coach on the Bengals staff....

https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/28/nfl-james-urban-cincinnati-bengals-wide-receivers-coach
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Great read thanks for posting
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2017, 10:48 AM)jj22 Wrote: Great article from the most underrated coach in the league and best coach on the Bengals staff....

https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/28/nfl-james-urban-cincinnati-bengals-wide-receivers-coach

Great stuff!
Reply/Quote
Great. Now he'll be gone.....
Reply/Quote
He is a great coach. Certainly the next in line for OC for marvin.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2017, 10:48 AM)jj22 Wrote: Great article from the most underrated coach in the league and best coach on the Bengals staff....

Thanks for posting this Coach Urban. Ninja
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2017, 12:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Great. Now he'll be gone.....

haha that's what I was thinking!

Thanks for posting OP. 
Reply/Quote
Thanks for posting.  Great article.

Hopefully they find a way to keep and promote him here.   He's a pretty fiery dude too.   I remember when AJ Green made some pretty bad plays in either the 2014 or 2015 season - where AJ failed to come back to a ball that was intercepted and it cost s the game, Urban chewed his butt out as AJ returned to the sidelines (and everyone was slowly returning to the locker room).

There is so much we don't know about what goes on behind the scenes.   Either Zampeze is more brilliant than he appears or Marvin promotes the wrong guy and we lose the better guy.

I really don't know.

We'll see.  I'd really like to keep Urban.  He seems like a natural OC.
Reply/Quote
Interesting stuff, but it seems that the only ones actively studying all this would be offensive players except for defenders also study it.
All too often we'll hear fans tell us (insert offensive player) is a bum and so on. They didn't catch whatever pass, but completely discount the play(s) made by defenders. For every failed play by an offensive player there's probably a very successful play by the defensive player or players.. 
I really don't like the chess match metaphor comparisons.. It's comparing apples to oranges, but we hear it all the time or checkers v chess as if no thought is required to win in checkers.. There are just too many moving parts at once, but someone will always try to over simplify things to make it sound like just any old stooge could do this..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Most of the article went over my head (I'm just a casual fan), but one thing that impresses me about Urban is that he seems determined to give every player a fair shot. That has to be difficult in such a crowded position group. Good for him for not taking the easy way out or playing the seniority game.
Reply/Quote
Wow... Great read! Thanks for posting.

Sorry Paulie G... But if by some miracle Marvin does "retire" after this season, can we please make this guy our next HC? (Mostly because it's a forgone conclusion out next HC will be promoted in house)

If not, if we retain Marvin, conventional wisdom says Urban will leave for a higher position elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
Great article! Crazy to think that so much planning goes into every play, and players have to remember and process it all at game speed. Really makes you appreciate these guys' mental acumen.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2017, 03:14 PM)grampahol Wrote: Interesting stuff, but it seems that the only ones actively studying all this would be offensive players except for defenders also study it.
All too often we'll hear fans tell us (insert offensive player) is a bum and so on. They didn't catch whatever pass, but completely discount the play(s) made by defenders. For every failed play by an offensive player there's probably a very successful play by the defensive player or players.. 
I really don't like the chess match metaphor comparisons.. It's comparing apples to oranges, but we hear it all the time or checkers v chess as if no thought is required to win in checkers.. There are just too many moving parts at once, but someone will always try to over simplify things to make it sound like just any old stooge could do this..

One of my pet peeves. There are 11 guys also playing defense that are not bums that someone brings off the street to play on Sunday. They will make plays also. I used to a know a guy that whined and complained everytime Andy would throw the ball out of bounds or an interception. I'd have to remind him that sometimes the defense does there job...
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2017, 11:35 AM)shanebo Wrote: Great article!  Crazy to think that so much planning goes into every play, and players have to remember and process it all at game speed.  Really makes you appreciate these guys' mental acumen.

Imagine being the QB! 
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2017, 12:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: One of my pet peeves. There are 11 guys also playing defense that are not bums that someone brings off the street to play on Sunday. They will make plays also. I used to a know a guy that whined and complained everytime Andy would throw the ball out of bounds or an interception. I'd have to remind him that sometimes the defense does there job...

Spot on, 2 sides of the ball competing, 1 wins and one loses every down
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
James is great. Not sure why he hasn't gotten an look as an OC over the years. He was a QB coach back at the end of the Eagles' Andy Reid era, so he's got that experience. But it's not easy getting that opportunity.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 08:47 PM)jowczarski Wrote: James is great. Not sure why he hasn't gotten an look as an OC over the years. He was a QB coach back at the end of the Eagles' Andy Reid era, so he's got that experience. But it's not easy getting that opportunity.

If Zamp doesn't significantly improve this season, especially in relation to late game adjustments, Urban may get his shot as early as next year.  

I seriously doubt it will happen, but if this season plays out much like last year, I could see Urban moving to OC, and Paulie G moving to HC.  

I think the Bengals will roll this year, on both sides of the ball....actually, on all three sides of the ball (let's not forget how ST killed them last year).  They may have some growing pains early in the season, but I think once the new pieces get acclimated, they will be rolling in to the playoffs and beyond.  

After that, the Bengals might find themselves back in the Hue/Zim situation, where a lot of teams might have an interest in one or more of their coaches.  I'm sure they will do everything in their power to get them back and project a transition to Paulie as HC.  
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2017, 11:35 AM)shanebo Wrote: Great article!  Crazy to think that so much planning goes into every play, and players have to remember and process it all at game speed.  Really makes you appreciate these guys' mental acumen.

Oh my!  This has GOT TO BE the first use of "acumen" on this site. You get my vote for the best use of acumen since the phrase, "the greatest thing since sliced bread" .. 
Acumen, acumen, acumen, acumen! It just kind of rolls right off the keyboard when you type it more than 5 times in a single post. I'm truly inspired now to find a 6 letter word that expresses just how smart each and every football player is. Too bad my vocabulary is generally limited to 4 letter words.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Great stuff, Urban is definately one of our best coaches, might be the best yah never know. He can turn late round picks into
damn fine players. One of our few coaches that can do this besides Guenther and Simmons. If Zamp doesn't get better at OC
this guy should be the next man up for us.
Reply/Quote