Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Wilder, Jr
Couple of quick bits about Wilder. Would love to see him have a huge camp, and show that he can make an impact on special teams.

Reply/Quote
I'd love to see him make the cut.....I still think he came out too early, but believe he'll make a pretty good player. I have a little Seminole bias, but he looked like he could transition to the next level with a little more beef and experience.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think this roster has some unique players that could really make an impact on the team in a variety of ways and Wilder would be one of them. Hope he pans out as I think he is a talented young player that just needs to put it together.
Reply/Quote
I know at this point in the offseason there is a lot of puff pieces and filler journalism, trying to create a buzz. That being said, I really do think the coaches want to keep Burkhead and Wilder. Which when we already have Gio, Hill and Hewitt as locks makes things very interesting in terms of who makes the wider 53.

Reply/Quote
Runs upright but he's got the talent.
Weisman, Wilder and Watson should make that 4th RB/FB spot interesting.

Peerman is a special teams stud but he's really limited as a RB.
Burkhead is a solid ST player and is proving to have value all over the field on offense.
Reply/Quote
I think he has a chance to bump Peerman. If all Peerman brings to the table is 16 ST tackles. There is no reason Wilder can't duplicate or better that with his size, speed and LB background.

I'd be perfectly fine with a 5 man backfield of:
Hill
Bernard
Burkhead
Wilder
Hewitt
Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see who makes the cut. Could be Peerman is on the way out ?
Reply/Quote
I have to admit, and I'm not even sure why, but I'm rooting for him too. WTS, he sure seems to have an uphill climb, no matter how you slice it. I'd almost think his best chance might be somewhere else.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I would love it if he could become a Mike Alstott type of FB.

That guy was incredible.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 11:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It will be interesting to see who makes the cut. Could be Peerman is on the way out ?

Seems like it to me.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 07:56 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I would love it if he could become a Mike Alstott type of FB.

That guy was incredible.

I really hope Weisman can become that Mike Alstott kind of FB for us.  He's built very similar.

RB is going to be one position that is gonna be fun to watch at TC.  Especially for that 3-4-5 position. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 12:55 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I really hope Weisman can become that Mike Alstott kind of FB for us.  He's built very similar.

RB is going to be one position that is gonna be fun to watch at TC.  Especially for that 3-4-5 position. 

Also, will be interesting to see how many they keep.   How many backs does a run first team want to have around.  Seems likely there would be one on the PS too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 12:55 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I really hope Weisman can become that Mike Alstott kind of FB for us.  He's built very similar.

Why because he's white?

Just kidding. 
I understand what you mean. And actually said something very similar to a friend a few days ago

We clearly have a type in mind for that RB/FB role.
Wilder, Weisman and Watson. 

Frees Hewitt up to be a more true HB/TE3. 

All 3 have very similar running styles. Upright, physical, run through not around....

I enjoyed watching Weisman at Iowa. Didn't get to see him lead block much. So that should be the real battle for that spot. 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 06:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Couple of quick bits about Wilder. Would love to see him have a huge camp, and show that he can make an impact on special teams.

I love Peerman but it may be time to move on with Burkhead and Wilder.

Both could provide many different attributes to the team and both can play ST's and help
cushion the blow of losing Peerman. With Wilder being able to play both RB and FB and be
that pounder behind Hill and Burkhead being able to play both RB and Slot receiver it gives
us more options.

I love the way Wilder runs, he reminds me of AP with that upright running style.

Dude is a physical freak. I want to see more of him on the field. Should be a very exciting
Preseason with all of these guys.

Cool
Reply/Quote
I know I'm not adding much "insight" here - but filling out the running back room is something I'll be watching as camp unfolds. Here's the thing about special teams - not "everyone" can do it. So, it's not as easy to just swap Player A for Player B. Now, it is easier to do that on teams - and more likely - but there has to be some semblance of a skill set and lane and coverage discipline. The problem is, is if you make the wrong "swaps" you've got opposing teams starting with excellent field position (see Bears, Chicago, once they let the back end of the roster slip post-Hester).
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 12:23 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I know I'm not adding much "insight" here - but filling out the running back room is something I'll be watching as camp unfolds. Here's the thing about special teams - not "everyone" can do it. So, it's not as easy to just swap Player A for Player B. Now, it is easier to do that on teams - and more likely - but there has to be some semblance of a skill set and lane and coverage discipline. The problem is, is if you make the wrong "swaps" you've got opposing teams starting with excellent field position (see Bears, Chicago, once they let the back end of the roster slip post-Hester).

Yeah thats the risk of dropping the STs captain but peerman hasnt exactly contributed much to our RB core as a RB during his time here..

Except Preseason Game #4 each year.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 12:23 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I know I'm not adding much "insight" here - but filling out the running back room is something I'll be watching as camp unfolds. Here's the thing about special teams - not "everyone" can do it. So, it's not as easy to just swap Player A for Player B. Now, it is easier to do that on teams - and more likely - but there has to be some semblance of a skill set and lane and coverage discipline. The problem is, is if you make the wrong "swaps" you've got opposing teams starting with excellent field position (see Bears, Chicago, once they let the back end of the roster slip post-Hester).

That's fair.
But in the case of Peerman, isn't it just as likely players who aren't RBs but play the same on ST could be what costs him a spot here if he can't offer more than ST play?
Weren't Shaw and Derron touted as ST demons? 
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 12:52 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's fair.
But in the case of Peerman, isn't it just as likely players who aren't RBs but play the same on ST could be what costs him a spot here if he can't offer more than ST play?
Weren't Shaw and Derron touted as ST demons? 

Shaw at least... definately was.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 01:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Shaw at least... definately was.

Yeah and Shawn Williams, Burkhead and Wilder all seem to have it in them. Especially Shawn.
Reply/Quote