Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
January Mock
Expected (or hopeful) extensions:
- Vonn Bell - Bengals have to keep Bell if they want to keep momentum, as they are very likely letting Bates walk in favor of Dax Hill. Bell is a leader in the secondary. He's arguably priority #1 on the list for guys to re-sign.
- Germaine Pratt - I'd love to have Pratt back, but I think he tests the FA market before potentially re-signing. I can see a team giving him around $10-12 mill APY. I think the Bengals would be closer to that lower number though.
- Hayden Hurst - Not as featured as some of the prominent TEs, but he's good. I see him getting in the $6-8 mill APY range.
- Samaje Perine - I wouldn't pay Perine a large amount, but I think he's pretty solid. He's not as fast as we'd like, but he can catch, he can block, and he showed more physicality this year compared to previous years.

Weaknesses noticed in this postseason? TRENCHES
The Bengals need more pass rush, and they need better OL depth, by far.
Assuming Bengals can get their defensive starters and starting TE situation settled in FA, the below is something I think could really help improve the team.

1) Tuli Tuipulotu, 3T/DE USC (6'4", 290 lb
) - Good pass-rushing DL who is on the bigger side when it comes to being on the edge. 13.5 sacks and 22.0 TFLs on the season, showing continued improvement in both sacks and TFLs each year for the past 3 seasons. Guy's only 20 years old, showing he has much more room to grow too. I like Tuipulotu to add more pass rush to this DL that seems to be missing some juice at times.

2) Darnell Wright, OT Tennessee (6'6", 335 lb) - Big, powerful RT who didn't allow a sack all year. Getting pushed back on skates isn't something you'd need to worry about with this guy. New backup to Collins with a plan to become the new starter in 2024 or 2025. Bye bye, Adeniji!

3) Henry Bainivalu, OG Washington (6'5", 322 lb) - Good sized OG who has been a good starter for 3 seasons with the Huskies. On the tape I watched from this past year, Bainvalu has VERY active hands along with quality movement skills and anchor to be effective in both the run and pass. Looks to have good length on tape, and it's reported he has over 34" arm length. Scharping replacement.

4) Luke Schoonmaker, TE Michigan (6'5", 250 lb) - Schoonmaker is a TE that fits the Zac Taylor offense. He wasn't a top receiving threat in college, but he showed some promise this past year. He's a good blocker and could make for a solid TE2 kinda guy.

5) Evan Hull, RB Northwestern (5'11", 210 lb) - Well-rounded RB who can run between tackles, has good enough speed to get some chunks, is a great receiver, and he can pass block. With both Perine and Williams set to hit FA this Spring, the Bengals could use another RB to add to the stable.

6 & 7) Depth - Guys taken this late are really just STers and bottom of the depth anyway, and there's no guarantee they ever make the team. So I'm not too worried about who is picked up this late.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd rather sign Bates to a mega deal than both Pratt and Bell. I like ADG as a player and I think he can replace Pratt at LB l.He played well in both of his starts and had a huge INT against the Ravens in the Playoffs. Bell is a good player but has limited Athletic ability and is getting older. It would be wise to move on from him a year early.

As for the draft I like it but I would flip the first two picks. Wright seems like a first RD pick to me.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 05:30 PM)J24 Wrote: I'd rather sign Bates to a mega deal than both Pratt and Bell.  I like ADG as a player and I think he can replace Pratt at LB l.He played well in both of his starts and had a huge INT against the Ravens in the Playoffs. Bell is a good player but has limited Athletic ability and is getting older. It would be wise to move on from him a year early.

As for the draft I like  it but I would flip the first two picks. Wright seems like a first RD pick to me.

What do you do with Dax Hill if you re-sign Bates? Hill isn't a SS, and neither is Bates. Neither is a physical force like Bell either.
You can't (or shouldn't) have a 1st rounder riding the bench his 2nd season.

I guess I am not nearly as high on ADG as some are. But if Pratt becomes too expensive, ADG would probably be the one I'd call to replace out of the current guys.

Wright might be a 1st rounder. I went off TDN's Top 100 prospect list, which has Wright in the late 50's.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 05:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What do you do with Dax Hill if you re-sign Bates? Hill isn't a SS, and neither is Bates. Neither is a physical force like Bell either.
You can't (or shouldn't) have a 1st rounder riding the bench his 2nd season.

I guess I am not nearly as high on ADG as some are. But if Pratt becomes too expensive, ADG would probably be the one I'd call to replace out of the current guys.

Wright might be a 1st rounder. I went off TDN's Top 100 prospect list, which has Wright in the late 50's.

I disagree with Hill not being a strong safety he excelled at Michigan as a Box Safety.  He reminds me of a young Malcolm Jenkins he is not huge but he is effective in that role.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The one position that is getting overlooked is WR. We need to start drafting one every year. Boyd is more than likely gone after this year and we have nobody to replace him. We need some speed and we need someone that can be a legit option if one of our starters goes down.

It used to be an after thought, but WR is now a premium position in the league - last year's contracts show that.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 12:23 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The one position that is getting overlooked is WR.  We need to start drafting one every year.  Boyd is more than likely gone after this year and we have nobody to replace him.  We need some speed and we need someone that can be a legit option if one of our starters goes down.

It used to be an after thought, but WR is now a premium position in the league - last year's contracts show that.

I can understand that sentiment, but I wanted to upgrade the OL, DL, and TE room before I looked at WR.
Only get 7 picks without trading and the later picks rarely make a difference on offense/defense.
Can't fill everything in one draft always.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:02 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I can understand that sentiment, but I wanted to upgrade the OL, DL, and TE room before I looked at WR.
Only get 7 picks without trading and the later picks rarely make a difference on offense/defense.
Can't fill everything in one draft always.

I'm in the boat of getting a WR before 5, especially if you're drafting the TE to be TE2. With how much Higgins (and lately Boyd) have been getting injured (and with how prevalent WR is to our O), WR 4/5 is likely seeing more significant snaps.

Mims or Hutchinson in 4 would be ideal. Mims has slot speed or Hutchinson for his HWS speed on the outside in case Higs goes down.
Reply/Quote
I'm interested in seeing how your mock shifts after free agency.

Good post, as always.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 01:03 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I'm in the boat of getting a WR before 5, especially if you're drafting the TE to be TE2. With how much Higgins (and lately Boyd) have been getting injured (and with how prevalent WR is to our O), WR 4/5 is likely seeing more significant snaps.

Mims or Hutchinson in 4 would be ideal. Mims has slot speed or Hutchinson for his HWS speed on the outside in case Higs goes down.

Yea I can understand that, but there are ALWAYS cheaper WRs who can be added in FA to fill a WR4 role that can step into a starting role if necessary periodically.
I also firmly believe a rookie can come in and put up typical WR2/3 yardage (600-1000 yards), so the Bengals can always wait until next year to take a WR early once we find out what's happening with Higgins and Boyd.

Look at how many rookie WRs were productive this past season:
Garrett Wilson
Chris Olave
Drake London
George Pickens
Christian Watson
Jahan Dotson

Bengals can get a guy like those guys in Rds 1 or 2 in 2024 draft and immediately fill the starting slot or outside spot opposite of Chase.

I can understand though wanting to get someone in a year early just to have that reserve in case one of the starters gets hurt, but I think think it's easier to find a good cheaper stopgap option at WR than it is to find a good cheaper option for OL/DL for fill-in or rotation.

Look at a guy like T.Y. Hilton, who Dallas picked up off the street for just $800k late in the season for added depth for their postseason push. He came in and averaged 40 YPG, which would have been nearly 700 yards if over the course of a full season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 01:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I can understand that, but there are ALWAYS cheaper WRs who can be added in FA to fill a WR4 role that can step into a starting role if necessary periodically.
I also firmly believe a rookie can come in and put up typical WR2/3 yardage (600-1000 yards), so the Bengals can always wait until next year to take a WR early once we find out what's happening with Higgins and Boyd.

Garrett Wilson
Chris Olave
Drake London
George Pickens
Christian Watson
Jahan Dotson

Bengals can get a guy like those guys in Rds 1 or 2 in 2024 draft and immediately fill the starting slot or outside spot opposite of Chase.

I can understand though wanting to get someone in a year early just to have that reserve in case one of the starters gets hurt, but I think think it's easier to find a good cheaper stopgap option at WR than it is to find a good cheaper option for OL/DL for fill-in or rotation.

Look at a guy like T.Y. Hilton, who Dallas picked up off the street for just $800k late in the season for added depth for their postseason push. He came in and averaged 40 YPG, which would have been nearly 700 yards if over the course of a full season.

Agree with OL/DL players before WR. I mentioned WR before TE2 depth.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 01:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I can understand that, but there are ALWAYS cheaper WRs who can be added in FA to fill a WR4 role that can step into a starting role if necessary periodically.

Garrett Wilson
Chris Olave
Drake London
George Pickens
Christian Watson
Jahan Dotson

Except it's not just for a reserve.  Right now we have a major need for a guy with some speed that can work underneath.   Teams are playing us to avoid the deep ball and we need another option to work underneath.

I'm also not going into a year as a Super Bowl contender hoping that we can draft a guy that can step in and contribute immediately.  I trust a late 2nd round WR or 3rd Round WR more than I do a DL or OL for an immediate impact.  I'd definltey take one in round 2 or 3,
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:09 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Except it's not just for a reserve.  Right now we have a major need for a guy with some speed that can work underneath.   Teams are playing us to avoid the deep ball and we need another option to work underneath.

I'm also not going into a year as a Super Bowl contender hoping that we can draft a guy that can step in and contribute immediately.  I trust a late 2nd round WR or 3rd Round WR more than I do a DL or OL for an immediate impact.  I'd definltey take one in round 2 or 3,

Alot of the guys covering the Senior Bowl are talking about the value at WR being late day 2 into day 3. This class just doesn't have those dynamic receivers like we've seen over the last 2 or 3 drafts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Alot of the guys covering the Senior Bowl are talking about the value at WR being late day 2 into day 3. This class just doesn't have those dynamic receivers like we've seen over the last 2 or 3 drafts.

That's exactly where I would take one - 3rd round.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Alot of the guys covering the Senior Bowl are talking about the value at WR being late day 2 into day 3. This class just doesn't have those dynamic receivers like we've seen over the last 2 or 3 drafts.

(02-03-2023, 01:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's exactly where I would take one - 3rd round.

Am I crazy for liking Xavier Hutchinson from Iowa St as a Day 2 guy?
He's similar to Boyd in a lot of ways.
Good hands, makes good catches, produced a lot in college, reliable. Solid speed, but not overly speed.
Has the size to be a big slot or an outside guy, and he's played both too.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 02:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Am I crazy for liking Xavier Hutchinson from Iowa St as a Day 2 guy?
He's similar to Boyd in a lot of ways.
Good hands, makes good catches, produced a lot in college, reliable. Solid speed, but not overly speed.
Has the size to be a big slot or an outside guy, and he's played both too.

At first with Hutchinson I was thinking Keenan Allen because he was being called 6'3 or tall 6'2 now he's prbably more Van Jefferson with a little more size. Definitly 3rd round kinda guy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 02:45 PM)Synric Wrote: At first with Hutchinson I was thinking Keenan Allen because he was being called 6'3 or tall 6'2 now he's prbably more Van Jefferson with a little more size. Definitly 3rd round kinda guy.

Yea I was thinking 3rd rounder. Might not be available when Bengals pick in 3 though.
Jefferson showed in 2021 his potential. 50 rec, 800+ yards, 6 TDs when he was able to play the whole season.
I could see Hutchinson having a season like that potentially.
A 3rd option in an offense who can play multiple positions.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote