Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jared Kushner's war on Baltimore tenants
https://www.propublica.org/article/the-beleaguered-tenants-of-kushnerville

Jared Kushner's property management company owns thousands of units across Maryland and the Rust Belt. This particular article discusses the peculiarly aggressive methods Kushner uses to go after tenants when they attempt to end their lease or are met with financial struggles. And I thought A Rod was the worst celebrity slum lord in Maryland.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I stopped reading this copy of War and Peace about 1/4 the way down and will save my views on the case.

Instead I thought it would be more fun just to scroll down and read the comments section. It was.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-23-2017, 08:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I stopped reading this copy of War and Peace about 1/4 the way down and will save my views on the case.

Instead I thought it would be more fun just to scroll down and read the comments section. It was.

I got through 5 paragraphs.

Then I realized how this was a story about how a person who uses tax dollars to subsidize their housing due to making the poor choice of having three children while being on her own, who moved before her lease was up, and then couldn't produce paperwork that shows more than just her say so when the courts asked why she shouldn't have to pay the penalty for moving early.

That's not evil businesses, that is people either stupidly not keeping their important paperwork, or just lying about things to try and get out of paying money.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Wanna know what's wrong with discussions these days?

(05-23-2017, 08:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I stopped reading this copy of War and Peace about 1/4 the way down and will save my views on the case.

(05-23-2017, 09:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I got through 5 paragraphs.

Then I realized how this was a story about how a person who uses tax dollars to subsidize their housing due to making the poor choice of having three children while being on her own, who moved before her lease was up, and then couldn't produce paperwork that shows more than just her say so when the courts asked why she shouldn't have to pay the penalty for moving early.

That's not evil businesses, that is people either stupidly not keeping their important paperwork, or just lying about things to try and get out of paying money.

People don't read.

One thinks it's "fun" to read the responses of others to an article they didn't read (therefore understand).

One has a response...to an article they didn't read (therefore understand) but it's just to be the opposite of the OP.

Welcome to the internet....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-23-2017, 10:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: Wanna know what's wrong with discussions these days?

People don't read.

One thinks it's "fun" to read the responses of others to an article they didn't read (therefore understand).

One has a response...to an article they didn't read (therefore understand) but it's just to be the opposite of the OP.

Welcome to the internet....

What were your thoughts on the article?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Not really surprised who is siding with the company that lied about their tenant in order to drain her bank account, preventing her from feeding her three kids as she attempted to complete college in order to better provide for them.

"well she has three kids and lost the paper, so she deserves to have a company steal thousands from her".

I didn't finish the whole thing either. First thing is hold on to that paperwork. I would never trust that it's getting from a landlord all the way to some giant corporation.

In the end, once she proved she did legally exit the lease, then the company should have to pay her all the money she is out plus money for the stress. If they could prove they knew about her legal exit, then I would move on to punitive damages.

I didn't quite understand the shock of the writer that a company would pursue people who just owe a couple of thousand dollars.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-24-2017, 08:32 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Not really surprised who is siding with the company that lied about their tenant in order to drain her bank account, preventing her from feeding her three kids as she attempted to complete college in order to better provide for them.

"well she has three kids and lost the paper, so she deserves to have a company steal thousands from her".

That's really not what anyone said, but okay.

There's no way any of us can verify whether or not she followed the lease she signed. We can't verify which party was actually in the wrong here.

Off topic: Being a single mother with 3 kids signals that someone is Short- sighted unless they were widowed. I'm not saying it means she did something dumb here too, but it does make it more likely. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't be the one saying she's Einstein.
(05-25-2017, 02:34 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: That's really not what anyone said, but okay.

There's no way any of us can verify whether or not she followed the lease she signed. We can't verify which party was actually in the wrong here.

Off topic: Being a single mother with 3 kids signals that someone is Short- sighted unless they were widowed. I'm not saying it means she did something dumb here too, but it does make it more likely. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't be the one saying she's Einstein.

The article stated that she eventually found the paper work confirming that she was released from her lease.

(05-25-2017, 02:34 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: That's really not what anyone said, but okay.

Or you're Ivana Trump.  Smirk

All seriousness aside this line of thinking that because of her personal situation she might be stupid falls in line with we don't need food stamps of a safety net because if we just had more jobs people would go to work instead.

(05-23-2017, 09:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I got through 5 paragraphs.

Mellow

(05-25-2017, 07:57 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The article stated that she eventually found the paper work confirming that she was released from her lease.

Hilarious

Quote:Three days before Christmas that year, JK2 Westminster filed a request to garnish her wages from her in-home elder care job. Five days earlier, Warren had gone to court to fill out a handwritten motion saying she had proof that she was given permission to leave Cove Village in 2010 — she had finally managed to get a copy from the housing department. “Please give me the opportunity to plead my case,” she wrote. But she did not attach a copy of the form to her motion, not realizing it was necessary, so a judge denied it on Jan. 9, on the grounds that there was “no evidence submitted.”

[Image: 20170523-kamiia-warren-inline.jpg]Kamiia Warren at Cove Village, the Kushner Companies property in Essex, Maryland, where she once lived (Philip Montgomery for The New York Times)
The garnishing started that month. Warren was in the midst of leaving her job, but JK2 Westminster garnished her bank account too. After her account was zeroed out, a loss of about $900, she borrowed money from her mother to buy food for her children and pay her bills. That February — five years after she left Cove Village — Warren returned to court, this time with the housing form in hand, asking the judge to halt garnishment. “I am a single mom of three and my bank account was wiped clean by the plaintiff,” she pleaded in another handwritten request. “I cannot take care of my kids when they snatch all of my money out of my account. I do not feel I owe this money. Please have mercy on my family and I.” She told me that when she called the law office representing JK2 Westminster that same day from the courthouse to discuss the case, one of the lawyers told her: “This is not going to go away. You will pay us.”

The "Trump Way": We have lawyers you don't even understand all the laws, you will pay until a judge catches up with us.  Tough luck.
(05-25-2017, 08:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: Or you're Ivana Trump.  Smirk

All seriousness aside this line of thinking that because of her personal situation she might be stupid falls in line with we don't need food stamps of a safety net because if we just had more jobs people would go to work instead.

Aren't these the people who say women like her need to pull themselves up from their boot straps and get out of poverty?

The lady went to community college so that she could work in the medical field and better provide for her kids. Is that NOT what they want? Then some billionaire comes, lies about her, uses their money to get her stuck in the legal system, and drains her entire bank account because she lost a paper.

Even with all the hard work, you need a little luck. The system is not designed to work for those who are not able to afford a lawyer or don't know enough about the legal system to protect themselves from fraud. 

Reminds me of the story I posted in the AFCN sub forum. In Baltimore, if you have an outstanding debt for the city, people can bid on the lien, charge you interest, and then take your house. Imagine being someone struggling to pay a water bill and then having someone prey on you for it and make a profit while putting you on the street.

(05-25-2017, 10:55 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Aren't these the people who say women like her need to pull themselves up from their boot straps and get out of poverty?

The lady went to community college so that she could work in the medical field and better provide for her kids. Is that NOT what they want? Then some billionaire comes, lies about her, uses their money to get her stuck in the legal system, and drains her entire bank account because she lost a paper.

Even with all the hard work, you need a little luck. The system is not designed to work for those who are not able to afford a lawyer or don't know enough about the legal system to protect themselves from fraud. 

Reminds me of the story I posted in the AFCN sub forum. In Baltimore, if you have an outstanding debt for the city, people can bid on the lien, charge you interest, and then take your house. Imagine being someone struggling to pay a water bill and then having someone prey on you for it and make a profit while putting you on the street.

Why do you hate capitalism?!?!

Ninja