Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jason La Canfora picks Bengals for an ugly season.
Saw this report on Cincy Jungle or some other site and didn't see a thread about it yet.

La Confora picks the Bengals as one of six teams headed for an ugly season.

"Joe Burrow has been very upfront about the mental demons he is facing coming back from major knee surgery. And all the coaches are saying the right thing … But this is going to be an arduous process and no one is flicking a switch Week 1. Last year's injury will bleed into this season and there remain major questions about the linemen comprising the first-team offensive line. "The interior offensive line is a problem," said one exec who has watched the Bengals. Ja'Marr Chase will ultimately be fine, but a case of the yips or the drops or whatever you want to call them can in no way be construed as a positive development. Playing in the AFC North does them no favors. The specter of how Burrow's rookie season ended will hang over them, and this team should be better in December than it is in September, but anytime your franchise QB is going through something like this it's going to color your training camp panorama, and conjure questions."

Can see the entire article and other 5 teams here:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/six-nfl-teams-headed-for-ugly-2021-season-giants-texans-among-those-with-suspect-rosters-rough-offseasons/

In the past La Canfora has been pretty far off when picking against the Bengals, so perhaps this article is a good thing.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Has he heard ANY recent reports on Burrow???
Reply/Quote
Looks like the guy picked bad teams from last year and says they will be bad this year. Talk about digging deep.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 12:23 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Saw this report on Cincy Jungle or some other site and didn't see a thread about it yet.

"Joe Burrow has been very upfront about the mental demons he is facing coming back from major knee surgery. And all the coaches are saying the right thing … But this is going to be an arduous process and no one is flicking a switch Week 1. Last year's injury will bleed into this season and there remain major questions about the linemen comprising the first-team offensive line. "The interior offensive line is a problem," said one exec who has watched the Bengals. Ja'Marr Chase will ultimately be fine, but a case of the yips or the drops or whatever you want to call them can in no way be construed as a positive development. Playing in the AFC North does them no favors. The specter of how Burrow's rookie season ended will hang over them, and this team should be better in December than it is in September, but anytime your franchise QB is going through something like this it's going to color your training camp panorama, and conjure questions."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/six-nfl-teams-headed-for-ugly-2021-season-giants-texans-among-those-with-suspect-rosters-rough-offseasons/

In the past La Canfora has been pretty far off when picking against the Bengals, so perhaps this article is a good thing.

I like him but he's just some goober reporter whose predictions are no better than anyone else who casually watches the Bengals practices or reads articles from the homepage, athletic, etc. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I liked JLC when he was younger but he’s a little more bitter and pessimistic these days from what I’ve seen. He’s probably picked them to surprise and been let down before. Safe bet is to bet against Cincinnati and nobody is going to come back and call you dumb for getting that wrong.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 08:59 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: Has he heard ANY recent reports on Burrow???

You mean the reports that he is looking great as long as no one can lay a finger on him?
Reply/Quote
Yeah from what I read he came to a practice early in training camp when Burrow was struggling and based his prediction off of that along with the rest of the facts of the Bengals the last few years. I really think the Bengals could be poised to shock some people this season. I think the defense is gonna be a lot better than people expect. You could say this about any team but I really think we will know alot about the season after the 1st 4 games as I think they are all winnable games. So if we can protect Burrow and he can get his legs under him somewhat quickly and we can get thru the 1st 4 with a winning record I think we'll be on our way to a respectable season. If we have a losing record after the 1st 4 it may very well be an ugly season.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 12:23 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Saw this report on Cincy Jungle or some other site and didn't see a thread about it yet.

If you truly look at what he said objectively, what did he say that isn't true? I personally think iBurrows going to be a much better QB in the last 9 games of the year compared to the first 8.  

Whether we like it or not there are still questions about the OL. Have they played well in the pre-season? yep...but they call it the pre-season for a reason.  If there still playing that well 4-6 games into the season then hey we got a winner.

Also, he's not wrong about playing in the hardest division in the NFL. The Browns,  Ravens are both much better and have more talent than the Bengals. The Stoolers will always be the Stoers until they show me they can have a below .500 record. 

So whether we as a fan base like what JLC said none of its incorrect or fake news. 
Reply/Quote
jason from the Bengalsboard also predicts an ugly season as long as Zac and the boys are around.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Im sick of pessimistic takes. Bengals vs Texans in the AFC Championship game. Book it.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 10:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Im sick of pessimistic takes. Bengals vs Texans in the AFC Championship game. Book it.

Texans? TEXANS?!

No no no

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 10:53 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Texans? TEXANS?!

No no no

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

The Jets will make it to the divisional round.  Bengals over Lions in the SB. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 10:46 AM)jason Wrote: jason from the Bengalsboard also predicts an ugly season as long as Zac and the boys are around.

Other than Bengal fans no one anywhere would have any reason to predict success from a Zac Taylor coached team.  There is absolutely nothing about his resume that indicates he can win as a head coach.

I am going into this season with hope of big improvements, but anyone who is just looking at the facts and analyzing all the teams will predict a losing season for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I mean I gotta be honest, I think the Bengals are going to be under the 6.5 wins Vegas handicapped them at.

If they get off to a rough start (which is likely due to new faces, Burrow getting back in sync, and dependency on rookies) they are absolutely screwed. The schedule is tough. I can legitimately see them having 4-5 wins and losing the last 7 games of the season.

I'm not sure how many games they will actually be favored in this year, maybe 2 or 3? I'm just not high on this team going into the season.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 08:59 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: Has he heard ANY recent reports on Burrow???

Burrow isn't the issue with this team. If he's bad...we are ABSOLUTELY screwed. 

The issue with this team is the offensive line, the defensive line (which was arguably worse than the offensive line last year), and the head coach. 

Burrow could look amazing in camp this year and it still wouldn't change my opinion that the Bengals are going to be bad this year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 10:57 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The Jets will make it to the divisional round.  Bengals over Lions in the SB. 

You could probably make about a million dollars on $100 betting that if that happened.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I mean, can you blame him?

This is a team that has been awful as of the late. Their head coach has won 6 games in 2 seasons. 6. They only won 2 games with Burrow last year. They haven't had a winning season in 5 years. Now on top of all of this we have our QB1 coming off a major injury and we won't know what level of play we can expect from him until we can actually see it. As of right now it's unknown. He could be exactly the same, he could be even better, or he could be rusty and tenative.

I'm not sure what "ugly" means to Mr. La Confora, but there's a reason Vegas has our win total set at 6.5 in a 17 game season (5th worst in the league). It's not like this guy is on an island as far as his prediction.

I have no problem with this. I certainly hope the teams wins more, and I think they have a chance. It's the NFL afterall, anything can happen and turnarounds can happen overnight. But this team is not at all deserving of the benefit of the doubt. They've earned predictions like this.
Reply/Quote
Lazy article by a lazy reporter. Like someone said, picking the Bengals to falter is an easy thing to do. Maybe he should have watched the TB or WFT games, and come to Cincy last week to see JB now. But I love it, keep picking against them.
Reply/Quote
Good. We play better when no one expects us to. Remember when Carson the Quitter sat out and every pundit out there predicted us to have the worst record in the entire league? They didn’t take into account our defense that year. Nor our running game. We ended up a WC team on the way to 5 straight playoff appearances.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 02:01 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Good. We play better when no one expects us to. Remember when Carson the Quitter sat out and every pundit out there predicted us to have the worst record in the entire league? They didn’t take into account our defense that year. Nor our running game. We ended up a WC team on the way to 5 straight playoff appearances.

Probably would have been better if we did stink in 2011 and drafted Andrew Luck. 
Reply/Quote