Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Jay Glazer on Zac Taylor
'He's a guy the Bengals actually targeted for weeks toward the end of the season as they knew they were moving on from Marvin Lewis. They did a ton of backchannel work on him.

When you talk to people on the Rams, you learn he is a football guy non-stop. When he went in and interviewed some places, I was told when he talked about offense -- what he was able to use from Sean McVay's offense plus some twists he put on it -- other teams were blown away. He commanded the room in the interview process. He's a guy who is very family-oriented, and he's one of these 24-7 football guys who can connect with both players and coaches, both old and young. Cincinnati, I thought, was going to be a hard place to get a good hire. If they do make this official, they'll end getting one of the hidden gems in this coaching class.'
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: 'He's a guy the Bengals actually targeted for weeks toward the end of the season as they knew they were moving on from Marvin Lewis. They did a ton of backchannel work on him.

When you talk to people on the Rams, you learn he is a football guy non-stop. When he went in and interviewed some places, I was told when he talked about offense -- what he was able to use from Sean McVay's offense plus some twists he put on it -- other teams were blown away. He commanded the room in the interview process. He's a guy who is very family-oriented, and he's one of these 24-7 football guys who can connect with both players and coaches, both old and young. Cincinnati, I thought, was going to be a hard place to get a good hire. If they do make this official, they'll end getting one of the hidden gems in this coaching class.'

Believe Bengals are getting a gem of a coach in Taylor. 

Plus we are in a good position to gamble on a coach with a high upside. If it does not work out we just move along in a couple years and if it does then we are golden. 

Wanted Bieniemy or Taylor for that very reason. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'm sold. Wish he was in Cincy working right now though.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:32 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm sold. Wish he was in Cincy working right now though.

Yeah, I'm really excited to see the direction Taylor takes this team and organization.
Reply/Quote
Exciting times in Cincinnati, to be sure.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I'm really excited to see the direction Taylor takes this team and organization.

Would you say you're as excited, more excited, or less excited than when Marvin Lewis came to the Bengals in 2003?
Marvin was considered a pretty good coaching candidate and seemed a lot more driven and passionate back then compared to the Dalton era.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Love hearing this stuff about Taylor, he sure sounds like exactly what we have needed around here to change the culture that has been bogging us down. Think he will invigorate the players and the fans and we will have a shot at a title soon as long as he brings in some innovative coaches with him especially for our new DC.

Starting to have confidence he will do just this.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: 'He's a guy the Bengals actually targeted for weeks toward the end of the season as they knew they were moving on from Marvin Lewis. They did a ton of backchannel work on him.

This part made me say wow.  Targeted for weeks toward the end of the season.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Would you say you're as excited, more excited, or less excited than when Marvin Lewis came to the Bengals in 2003?
Marvin was considered a pretty good coaching candidate and seemed a lot more driven and passionate back then compared to the Dalton era.

I wasn't so much 'excited' about Marvin as I was just relieved that they went outside and got a coach that was experienced and had been successful. I did have a sense of optimism and hopefulness for sure when they hired Marvin though.

With Taylor, I feel more of a genuine excitement. Maybe it's partly because there's more of the unknown quality with him (a certain amount of risk involved which I actually love to see), plus part of it is that everyone seems to be saying what a great football mind he has, so I'm stoked about seeing how that translates once he becomes the head coach.
Reply/Quote
Wonder who the first person was who said go get Zac Taylor.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Would you say you're as excited, more excited, or less excited than when Marvin Lewis came to the Bengals in 2003?

I know you didn’t ask me but I personally am more excited now.not that I wasn’t excited then, because I was. I guess now just seems different because I feel more confident that we have more pieces in place to be successful than we did when we signed Marvin.

This is also exciting because the Bengals FO is showing some awareness, showing they understand how the todays NFL is changing, how to win. Offense is now the name of the game and they are seemingly moving forward with that in mind. They are showing a willingness to change and I like the prospects of the future because of it.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:23 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I know you didn’t ask me but I personally am more excited now.not that I wasn’t excited then, because I was. I guess now just seems different because I feel more confident that we have more pieces in place  to be successful than we did when we signed Marvin.

This is also exciting because  the Bengals FO is showing some awareness, showing they understand  how the todays  NFL is changing, how to win. Offense is now the name of the game and they are seemingly moving forward with that in mind. They are showing a willingness to change and I like the prospects of the future because of it.

Marvin showed the world a coach can win here.  But he had those well known flaws.  Maybe the next guy shows the world a coach can win it all here.

Reply/Quote
Getting a guy like Taylor and letting him pick his coaches is like Step 3 and 4 of the 12 Step program. Good steps and much needed but they need to follow it up with other changes in the organization if they want to win.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote

I think it was the drafting of carson that got me excited back then
Reply/Quote
No doubt many of us thought the hiring of Merv also included a complete change in how the team operated. That was not the case so now, it is great that we are hiring outside and a young up and comer but the organization still needs a lot of change - it could be happening but we don't know yet for sure.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:35 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Getting a guy like Taylor and letting him pick his coaches is like Step 3 and 4 of the 12 Step program. Good steps and much needed but they need to follow it up with other changes in the organization if they want to win.

Fair...but doesn’t it beat the Steelers not even being on step one at this point?

It’s all perspective.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:22 PM)McC Wrote: Wonder who the first person was who said go get Zac Taylor.

Hue. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:22 PM)McC Wrote: Wonder who the first person was who said go get Zac Taylor.

Whitworth called Up Mikey
Reply/Quote
Back when I published the thread on "placing your bets" the three coaches that had me most excited were Taylor, Waldron, and Bieniemy. When the team flew out to Los Angeles, it indicated to me and some others, that Taylor was their guy.

I was excited when the team hired Marvin Lewis and it was a breath of fresh air; a much needed change toward hope. Lewis transformed a laughing stock of a franchise into a perennial playoff contender. It was a good day to be a Bengal fan. But the shadow of Mike Brown lurked in the darkness behind the scenes. Coaches under performed but yet were retained. Just being competitive was an acceptable goal. If free agents were signed, they were usually ineffective and pass their prime. Instrumental players did not receive contracts and were let go.

But this year is different. I was praying that the team would not hire an internal candidate like Hue or Lazor. But I do not recall in my lifetime as a Bengal fan, that the Bengal Organization fired so many coaches while under contract and cleaned house like this year.

Moreover, what makes this different for me, is the glimpse that Mike Brown has stepped back. I mean seriously, I opined that I thought Mike Brown and Lewis were joined at the hip, and it may be reality. Mike Brown was not a major factor or decision maker in selecting Taylor. This in of itself is reason to rejoice to the heavens! 30 years suffering under Mike Brown as a Bengal fan is assuaged by the healing balm of the potential Zac Taylor hiring. I would have been excited by the potential hiring of Taylor, or the fact that Mike Brown has receded his role in team operations. But the possibility of both becoming reality is like winning the lottery.

Then as a fan you learn that Taylor blew away everyone during the interview process. That indicates charisma with substance. I only hope that Taylor gets Sherman, an OC he really likes and a nasty upcoming DC that will get in the face of under performing players. This is a GREAT day to be a Bengal fan! Yes
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I am very happy with all these developments.

Should have happened for sure after the 2015 debacle but better late then never.

He needs at least three years before anyone draws conclusions. Unlike like most on this board, I do not think that the Bengals have a strong roster.

Browns and Ravens are ahead of us now on roster quality and the Steelers are the Steelers.

Next year could be rough. But the Bengals are doing what needs to be done. Once again, hope springs eternal.  
Reply/Quote