Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Jay Morrison on Sirius
(08-23-2020, 09:09 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I have to put the hype of Burrows scrimmage performance in perspective.  He did this against mostly second stringers or below.  My attitude is meh....I believe he will be great but this scrimmage proves nothing to me on how his rookie season will unfold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are "meh"? What would move the needle off of "meh" for you? All Burrow can do is what he can do. So, if it's regular season performance, that's not possible at this moment.

So, given the realism of what time of the year it is, what specific things do you need to see that would have you more excited?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 09:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I had multiple people question me when I claimed he was one of the main leader’s of this team...

The defense is concerning, but maybe Burrow was just pissed after that rocky first day. Big Grin

There is actually some possible truth here.  Just how good is Burrow?  We know what he did last year, but his vision, decisiveness, mobility, leadership.  The kid has it all.  And I think the offense has lots of talent, but we needed the right scheme and the right guy at the trigger to execute it.

I'm not too worried about the defense.  I think by mid-season they will be rolling and with the improved LB play, the pass rush might finally be something that could impact the game.  

I have said it several times:  I don't want to wish away summer, but I can't wait for it to start.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 10:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There is actually some possible truth here.  Just how good is Burrow?  We know what he did last year, but his vision, decisiveness, mobility, leadership.  The kid has it all.  And I think the offense has lots of talent, but we needed the right scheme and the right guy at the trigger to execute it.

I'm not too worried about the defense.  I think by mid-season they will be rolling and with the improved LB play, the pass rush might finally be something that could impact the game.  

I have said it several times:  I don't want to wish away summer, but I can't wait for it to start.  

Hell, you can keep this summer. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 09:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We were in games last year even with the defense as it was last year. It has to be better than last year, right? Right?! God I hope so.

It’s not hard to say this when you’re the worst team in the league but, we are going to be improved from last year no doubt!!

This should be remembered. It's easy to fall into the "Last year's defense was the worst in the league" mindset and then think they have to make vast improvements, when in reality they just need to make improvements. With the worst defense in the league last year, most of the games lost were by one score or less. It's really not that far fetched to suppose that with the addition of proven free agent upgrades, and unproven but speedy linebackers, this defense will be much improved. On the other side, the return of Williams, Green and possibly Ross, the progression of Jordan, the addition of XFS, and replacing Andy's talent with Burrow's talent, means the offense should put up more points as well. So going from 2 wins to a winning season is not that far of a jump as it may seem on a glance. Couple of points here, couple of points there, and we're in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 11:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This should be remembered. It's easy to fall into the "Last year's defense was the worst in the league" mindset and then think they have to make vast improvements, when in reality they just need to make improvements. With the worst defense in the league last year, most of the games lost were by one score or less. It's really not that far fetched to suppose that with the addition of proven free agent upgrades, and unproven but speedy linebackers, this defense will be much improved. On the other side, the return of Williams, Green and possibly Ross, the progression of Jordan, the addition of XFS, and replacing Andy's talent with Burrow's talent, means the offense should put up more points as well. So going from 2 wins to a winning season is not that far of a jump as it may seem on a glance. Couple of points here, couple of points there, and we're in the playoffs.
Heck the Bengals had leads in the 3rd q in 6 of their 14 losses.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 11:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This should be remembered. It's easy to fall into the "Last year's defense was the worst in the league" mindset and then think they have to make vast improvements, when in reality they just need to make improvements. With the worst defense in the league last year, most of the games lost were by one score or less. It's really not that far fetched to suppose that with the addition of proven free agent upgrades, and unproven but speedy linebackers, this defense will be much improved. On the other side, the return of Williams, Green and possibly Ross, the progression of Jordan, the addition of XFS, and replacing Andy's talent with Burrow's talent, means the offense should put up more points as well. So going from 2 wins to a winning season is not that far of a jump as it may seem on a glance. Couple of points here, couple of points there, and we're in the playoffs.

Yep, on the same page with you on this sled.

They also say, the best defense is a good offense. I agree with this to some degree. Less time on the field, less fatigued. Less time playing behind ala trying to stop the run (current weakness) More time being able to pass rush (possible strength) and in turn create turnovers.

The coaching staff made the right moves to overhaul this team, let’s hope some of the draft picks hit along with some of the FA moves pan out. If 70% of the moves hit this team should be pretty decent IMO
Reply/Quote
Training camp is always a double edge sword. Burrow/Offense looking good means the defense looks bad and vice versa. Pick your poison.
Reply/Quote
Can a defense really be judged by a controlled scrimmage? Seems like a pretty premature conclusion.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Too many good players on D for us to be trashz
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 11:48 PM)impactplaya Wrote: One thing not brought up.is that Burrow seems to be the kind
Of QB that wont force the ball to 1 target  or throw into double coverage too much . He might be that QB who will go to a hot target until the defense adjusts.
I dont expect him.to be flawless or All Pro out the gate 
But I expect him to make a error learn.from it and not repeat it 

Expect the same, he will have his struggles but will learn from them. Love how he doesn't force the ball to certain Receivers.

Our last QB did this all too often.

Look at all your options and find the open player or throw them open, which Burrow has the ability to do.

(08-23-2020, 09:09 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I have to put the hype of Burrows scrimmage performance in perspective.  He did this against mostly second stringers or below.  My attitude is meh....I believe he will be great but this scrimmage proves nothing to me on how his rookie season will unfold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Takes a lot to get you excited Bronx, meh lol
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 02:31 PM)McC Wrote: Can a defense really be judged by a controlled scrimmage?  Seems like a pretty premature conclusion.

Very premature.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 02:31 PM)McC Wrote: Can a defense really be judged by a controlled scrimmage?  Seems like a pretty premature conclusion.

He's been watching the team all week. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Remember how overhyped the defensive line was going into the 2018 season? They then went out against Buffalo in a preseason game and dominated, which only added to the hype. How did all of that end up?

I do agree that this defensive line should be playing a lot better than it has. Hopefully Hubbard continues his rise as a future star, Lawson is completely healthy and the addition Reader addresses this.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 03:38 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Remember how overhyped the defensive line was going into the 2018 season? They then went out against Buffalo in a preseason game and dominated, which only added to the hype. How did all of that end up?

I do agree that this defensive line should be playing a lot better than it has. Hopefully Hubbard continues his rise as a future star, Lawson is completely healthy and the addition Reader addresses this.

On paper, at least, they should have better tackling.  Better tackling alone would make for a big improvement.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Insider reports on camp certainly have me anxious to see this thing get started.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 04:30 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Insider reports on camp certainly have me anxious to see this thing get started.

No doubt.  What I wouldn't give for a preseason game or two.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 03:38 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Remember how overhyped the defensive line was going into the 2018 season? They then went out against Buffalo in a preseason game and dominated, which only added to the hype. How did all of that end up?

Losing Carl Lawson halfway through that season + not playing him in the Panthers, Chiefs , and Steelers  didn't help the pass rush that season. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 06:24 PM)J24 Wrote: Losing Carl Lawson halfway through that season + not playing him in the Panthers, Chiefs , and Steelers  didn't help the pass rush that season. 

When The Law is healthy he is one of the best pass rushers in the league IMO.

Just hope he can stay healthy for an entire season for once.
Reply/Quote