Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay Morrison question from Twitter
(12-22-2022, 03:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Until they win a Super Bowl, the most iconic play to me will be Pete Johnson getting stuffed on 4th and goal at the 1 foot line.

I was going to say that! I was 15 and cried!
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 02:50 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's really hard to argue against that one. It isn't the best play by any stretch, but the meaning to the franchise, fanbase, city was just so immense. That stadium erupted like I have never heard it in my life. Bengals fans across the nation were crying and jumping for joy. I think the only thing that could do that at this point would be a Super Bowl victory. 

I would vote for Pratts pick as well. 

That play is when it really sank in that we weren't the same old Bengals (or maybe Bungals) anymore.  

Cigar
Reply/Quote
This may be on the lower end because it was "just" a regular season game, but the play that sticks in my mind is the 3rd and 27 pass from Joe to Chase against the Chiefs last year.

That win is what really started our Super Bowl run and is still the most memorable catch between the two to me.
Reply/Quote
As painful as this is to think about if Quenton Spain kicks one step further to the left and holds off Aaron Donald that play would be one of the best plays in NFL history not just Bengals history.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Even though they were in losses:

Stanford Jennings kickoff return for TD vs 49ers in SB.
Tee Higgins TD reception from Burrow in SB
Icky Shuffle TD vs Chargers in freeze Bowl AFC Titie game. (win).

Negative:
Montana to Taylor in SB.
Krumrie breaks leg in SB.
Stafford to Cupp.
Donald sack on Burrow with Chase open.
Stopped on 4th vs 49ers in SB. Pete Johnson.
Stopped on 3rd vs 49ers in SB. Charles Alexander.
Interception drop vs Montana in SB (Billuops I believe).
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 02:30 PM)pally Wrote: Jay is asking, with the Immaculate Reception 50th anniversary in mind, what is the most iconic play in Bengal history?

I chose Germaine Pratt's game-saving INT in the wildcard game.  It broke the playoff curse and kind of symbolized how last season went

Hard to argue for any other play. Three AFCCGs and none of them have a single play that had the effect that one does, to get them to a SB and there are no SB plays to speak of...since Joe didn't get that last pass off to Ja'Marr. 

(12-22-2022, 02:47 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Dolphins kicking the winning field goal in the 2019 game that clinched us Joe Burrow.

Ut oh. Found one with a pretty strong argument. Big Grin

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 03:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That was about 2 seconds away from being replaced by Burrow to Chase

God, if Spain could just have got a piece of Donald....

I don't know about iconic, but I've been a fan since 1969, and my favorite play is Vonn Bell knocking Schmuster ass over applecart.  I cannot get enough of that play.
Reply/Quote
The Jerome Simpson front flip into the endzone.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
[Image: JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Vonn-Bell-fumble.jpg]

The moment it all changed.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 06:26 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Even though they were in losses:

Stanford Jennings kickoff return for TD vs 49ers in SB.
Tee Higgins TD reception from Burrow in SB
Icky Shuffle TD vs Chargers in freeze Bowl AFC Titie game. (win).

Negative:
Montana to Taylor in SB.
Krumrie breaks leg in SB.
Stafford to Cupp.
Donald sack on Burrow with Chase open.
Stopped on 4th vs 49ers in SB. Pete Johnson.
Stopped on 3rd vs 49ers in SB. Charles Alexander.
Interception drop vs Montana in SB (Billuops I believe).

We, uh, shouldn't talk that one up too much. Lets just let history forget that one.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The first bomb to Ja'Marr from Joe was a big one for me. With all of the doubt around the Chase pick going around in preseason, it was needed. I looked at the dude I go to games with and told him that that one play changed everything for the outlook of this team. I still think it did.

I also have a soft spot for "TOUCHDOWN ANDRE CALDWELL!!!!".
Reply/Quote
My play is yet to come this year in the Super Bowl. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 07:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Vonn-Bell-fumble.jpg]

The moment it all changed.
Oh hell yes.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 06:26 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Icky Shuffle TD vs Chargers in freeze Bowl AFC Titie game.

My pick was the freezer bowl with the sleeveless linemen.

Ickey was '88 against Buffalo
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 06:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This may be on the lower end because it was "just" a regular season game, but the play that sticks in my mind is the 3rd and 27 pass from Joe to Chase against the Chiefs last year.

That win is what really started our Super Bowl run and is still the most memorable catch between the two to me.

That was so badass...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It’s Pratt for me too.

However, Chase’s first career td against the Vikings, in his first game ever, was absolute electricity that we might be able to look back on and see as the propulsion into an entirely different and legendary era.

Especially given the camp he has and all the “bust” talk. Him shrugging off the defender like a gnat and doing his thing down the back line of the end zone in celebration, damn do I love it.
Reply/Quote
I think picking a play that went against the Bengals tends to defeat the intended spirit of the exercise, so I will pass on that. Here's a pile of things worth consideration (in no order) that I spent a few minutes thinking about -- there are likely many candidates that I have overlooked or am even unaware of from before Super Bowl XVI.

- Joe Mixon touchdown pass to Tee Higgins in Super Bowl LVI
- Stanford Jennings touchdown kick return in Super Bowl XXIII
- Kenny Anderson touchdown pass to Dan Ross in Super Bowl XVI
- Corey Dillon scores late against Denver in 2000 to break the single-game rushing record
- Germaine Pratt goal line interception to end the 31 year playoff win drought
- Joe Burrow touchdown pass to Ja'Marr Chase in the AFC Championship Game to complete the comeback (alongside Trent Taylor's 2-point conversion)
- Giovani Bernard's wild touchdown against the Dolphins in 2013
- Boomer Esiason touchdown pass to Anthony Munoz to tie the game against Cleveland in 1984
- Peter Warrick touchdown punt return against the 9-0 Chiefs in 2003
- Neil O'Donnell fake spike touchdown pass to Carl Pickens to upset the Steelers in 1998
Reply/Quote
I would say the int in raiders game. We made it to 3 Superbowls now so how we got to them is not as big as breaking a 30-year curse in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 04:20 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Last season, McPherson's 31-yard game winning field goal to put the Bengals in the Super Bowl made me cry.

That's my vote.

Montana to Taylor made me cry.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 11:00 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Montana to Taylor made me cry.

Me too.. me too.  Cry
Reply/Quote