Jay Morrison's Mock Draft
1   WR- Ja'Marr Chase
2   CB- Asante Samuel, Jr
3   DE- Dayo Odeyingbo
4   OT- Dillon Radunz
5   RB- Rhamondre Stevenson
6   DT- Ta’Quon Graham
7     K- Evan McPherson

https://theathletic.com/2364558/2021/02/03/giving-joe-burrow-a-familiar-weapon-boosting-the-secondary-bengals-mock-draft-jamarr-chase-asante-samuel-jr/
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 04:15 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: 1   WR- Ja'Marr Chase
3   DE- Dayo Odeyingbo
4   OT- Dillon Radunz
6   DT- Ta’Quon Graham
7     K- Evan McPherson

https://theathletic.com/2364558/2021/02/03/giving-joe-burrow-a-familiar-weapon-boosting-the-secondary-bengals-mock-draft-jamarr-chase-asante-samuel-jr/

I don't have Athletic subscription to read it, but here are my assumptions based on these picks:
- If waiting until Rd 4 for OL and taking no OG, I'm nervous about how much of an upgrade would come from FA. If it's really just one new player, I think OL could still be bad again.
- With waiting until Rd 6 for DT, I would expect Atkins stays and the team hopes he returns to form. Big gamble.
- I would assume that waiting until Rd 3 for pass rush means Lawson is re-signed. If not, that pass rush will be in big trouble.
- By taking ASJ (a favorite of mine), I assume WJ3 and/or Alexander leave in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't have Athletic subscription to read it, but here are my assumptions based on these picks:
- If waiting until Rd 4 for OL and taking no OG, I'm nervous about how much of an upgrade would come from FA. If it's really just one new player, I think OL could still be bad again.
- With waiting until Rd 6 for DT, I would expect Atkins stays and the team hopes he returns to form. Big gamble.
- I would assume that waiting until Rd 3 for pass rush means Lawson is re-signed. If not, that pass rush will be in big trouble.
- By taking ASJ (a favorite of mine), I assume WJ3 and/or Alexander leave in FA.

Yeah, he doesn't go into free agency at all in this article. He just explains what each of the picks would bring to the roster.
Reply/Quote
3   DE- Dayo Odeyingbo
4   OT- Dillon Radunz
6   DT- Ta’Quon Graham
7     K- Evan McPherson

I really like Asante Samuel Jr and would love to see us land him. He is one of the reasons I think moving back in round 1 would be a good move. If we move back to say 12, and pick up a 2nd as well, be looking at Darrisaw, Samuel and an edge rusher, all in the top 50 picks. Would be a nice upgrade.

I actually did one of the simulators where I was offered a chance to trade back twice in the first round and landed all this:

15. Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech

38. Jaelan Phillips EDGE Miami (FL)

41. Terrace Marshall Jr. WR LSU

46. Asante Samuel Jr. CB Florida State

I'd take that all day long over Chase in round 1.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:29 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I really like Asante Samuel Jr and would love to see us land him. He is one of the reasons I think moving back in round 1 would be a good move. If we move back to say 12, and pick up a 2nd as well, be looking at Darrisaw, Samuel and an edge rusher, all in the top 50 picks. Would be a nice upgrade.

I actually did one of the simulators where I was offered a chance to trade back twice in the first round and landed all this:

15. Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech

38. Jaelan Phillips EDGE Miami (FL)

41. Terrace Marshall Jr. WR LSU

46. Asante Samuel Jr. CB Florida State

I'd take that all day long over Chase in round 1.

Those first four picks would be a fantastic scenario.
I think personally I'd like Freiermuth or Jordan instead of Terrace Marshall because I think a good TE will make more impact than a WR3, but I see why you picked Marshall.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
3   DE- Dayo Odeyingbo
4   OT- Dillon Radunz
6   DT- Ta’Quon Graham
7     K- Evan McPherson

If we draft anyone else but Sewell at 5 I'll be surprised. I think we trade out especially if we lose out on either Jackson or Lawson in free agency.  
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Those first four picks would be a fantastic scenario.
I think personally I'd like Freiermuth or Jordan instead of Terrace Marshall because I think a good TE will make more impact than a WR3, but I see why you picked Marshall.

Yeah, I was looking at the possibilities and decided to go with the LSU guy lol.

TE, WR, just having an additional weapon for Burrow helps there.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
3   DE- Dayo Odeyingbo
4   OT- Dillon Radunz
6   DT- Ta’Quon Graham
7     K- Evan McPherson

No offense to Morrison, but I would not be a fan of that draft.  When something isn't working quite right, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  In the Bengals' case, the squeaky wheels would be the OL and DL.  Drafting 2nd and 3rd tier lineman in favor of a hot WR and 3rd rate CB would be piss poor management of draft capitol, in my opinion.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm tired of seeing all of these "outside-in" builds.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 01:20 AM)Yogo Wrote: I'm tired of seeing all of these "outside-in" builds.

The Bengals have traditionally operated that way, so mocks that do it are just mimicking the organization's behavior.
They traditionally have prioritized QB, WR, OT, CB, and DL
There have been occasional good contracts for players at other positions like Burfict, Nelson, and Boling, but those have been exceptions.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 03:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals have traditionally operated that way, so mocks that do it are just mimicking the organization's behavior.
They traditionally have prioritized QB, WR, OT, CB, and DL
There have been occasional good contracts for players at other positions like Burfict, Nelson, and Boling, but those have been exceptions.

Have they though?

It seems that they have spent a ton of draft capital in the first and second rounds on O-linemen.

Willie, Levi, Steinbach, Whitworth, Andre, Ced, Fisher, Price, Jonah etc....
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 06:57 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Have they though?

It seems that they have spent a ton of draft capital in the first and second rounds on O-linemen.

Willie, Levi, Steinbach, Whitworth, Andre, Ced, Fisher, Price, Jonah etc....

Umm, you just proved my point.
They prioritize the "outside" positions. You listed a bunch of OTs in that set of OL.
Traditionally, what positions got the biggest contracts and had the higher draft picks? QB, OT, WR, CB, and DL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 07:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Umm, you just proved my point.
They prioritize the "outside" positions. You listed a bunch of OTs in that set of OL.
Traditionally, what positions got the biggest contracts and had the higher draft picks? QB, OT, WR, CB, and DL.

"outside" to me means WR, TE, CB..  We are saying the same thing.
Reply/Quote
Chase is basically the only "non-Oline" pick I'm interested in in the first round. And, even then, I still think Slater would likely be a superior pick unless we really go HARD on the Oline in free agency. Not going Oline until the 4th round makes me cringe.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Those first four picks would be a fantastic scenario.

you are the first guy on these boards that picked Chase and our first pick.To me this is a no-brainer,These kind of players only come around in decades,this guy is a game-changer and scores points. And Joe Burrow has chemistry with him and he will make our offense epic.We could be unstoppable.You never pass on a sure thing and someone that scores points as the top player coming out.You cannot pass on this guy,he is going to make us super.Do not pass on Chase,that would be a huge mistake. Linemen do not score points.And this draft is loaded with top O-linemen.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals do something like this and not totally fix the OL especially after watching KC getting their asses kick in the superbowl with a porous OL, I will be pissed. I am fine with Pitts or Chase or even Smith R1 but get one of those studly guards early.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote