Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaylon Smith
It was reported that Jaylon Smith, stud linebacker from Notre Dame has torn his ACL and MCL. He is still undecided on whether he enters the draft. My question is if he does enter the draft and slides to us, do we take him? I would personally take him pending the success of his surgery. I would let him heal and let him be ready for the 2017 season. Thoughts?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000618229/article/report-notre-dame-lb-jaylon-smith-to-undergo-knee-surgery
Reply/Quote
I would take him if he slid to us in the first round.
Reply/Quote
That's a no brainer. Since the Bengals don't rely heavily on their rookies, you take him in a minute.

Plus, we took a 1st rounder with a torn ACL last year.
Reply/Quote
Saying potential nerve damage now.
Hard pass for a few rounds.
Reply/Quote
Hate to see this happen to the young man but if he fell to us and could make a comeback, I'd absolutely love the pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 12:50 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: It was reported that Jaylon Smith, stud linebacker from Notre Dame has torn his ACL and MCL. He is still undecided on whether he enters the draft. My question is if he does enter the draft and slides to us, do we take him? I would personally take him pending the success of his surgery. I would let him heal and let him be ready for the 2017 season. Thoughts?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000618229/article/report-notre-dame-lb-jaylon-smith-to-undergo-knee-surgery

Was watching that Notre Dame game with a group of Bengals fans, and we all had this same thought! You absolutely hate to see him go down like that (I think he was a top 5 pick), but if he slides I think you absolutely take him! Similar to the Cedric play, let him ease his way into the NFL and hopefully he becomes a stud over some time.
Reply/Quote
If he slid to us, I wouldn't pass on him. We have good enough linebackers where he can stash himself on the PUP.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 03:24 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Saying potential nerve damage now.
Hard pass for a few rounds.

No nerve damage:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000619404/article/report-no-nerve-damage-for-notre-dame-lb-jaylon-smith

Smith would be perfect for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
If hes there at 24 you take him, he wont be there in the second round. We are good enough at linebacker to let him ride it out on the PUP.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 01:43 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If hes there at 24 you take him, he wont be there in the second round. We are good enough at linebacker to let him ride it out on the PUP.

I really disagree with this notion.
We still struggle greatly at times with TE's across the middle and RBs out the backfield.

If we draft an athletic LB they need to be able to contribute in 2016 otherwise why make the pic?

Can't turn into the 49ers thinking every year you can just draft a medical redshirt. 
Reply/Quote
I think Running backs and Tightends have success against us by design. The D is willing to give up the short pass and rally to the ball and tackle. They want to take away the deep ball.

It's why Pitt's backs and Heath Miller have relative success against our D. Yet besides the deep ball to Bryant last year at home they don't beat us down the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:09 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I really disagree with this notion.
We still struggle greatly at times with TE's across the middle and RBs out the backfield.

If we draft an athletic LB they need to be able to contribute in 2016 otherwise why make the pic?

Can't turn into the 49ers thinking every year you can just draft a medical redshirt. 

So the Bengals shouldn't repeat what they did last year by drafting Ogbuehi, a reported top 10 talent who dropped in the draft because he tore his ACL during his bowl game?

I can't recall a single ACL tear which involved nerve damage.  Do you know of some I'm just not aware of?
Reply/Quote
Problem is, we're down 1 lb to start the season already.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:09 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I really disagree with this notion.

Here's why you take the pick:

Paul Dawson.  I have no doubts that he can step in next year and be the guy that can cover.  
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 12:15 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Here's why you take the pick:

Paul Dawson.  I have no doubts that he can step in next year and be the guy that can cover.  

Dawson will come on next year...
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 12:15 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Here's why you take the pick:

But Dawson isn't a real cover LB. He's not a great athlete. Similar to Burfict, relies on instincts and a lot of guess work.

We need an athlete who can hang with the RB out of the backfield or TE down the field. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 02:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: But Dawson isn't a real cover LB. He's not a great athlete. Similar to Burfict, relies on instincts and a lot of guess work.

We need an athlete who can hang with the RB out of the backfield or TE down the field. 

He's plenty athletic - so is Burfict.

I don't call it guesswork.  It's called preparation and it leads to him being in the right place at the right time. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:03 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: He's plenty athletic - so is Burfict.

I don't call it guesswork.  It's called preparation and it leads to him being in the right place at the right time. 

They are actually some of the least athletic guys on the team.

Good football players, but not good athletes. 

We need a better mix of both at LB. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 02:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: But Dawson isn't a real cover LB. He's not a great athlete. Similar to Burfict, relies on instincts and a lot of guess work.

Disagree.. Burfict is pretty athletic as well as Dawson. The only knock on Dawson I remember was lack of practice intensity, but shows up during the game.
Reply/Quote
Dawson's 40 at the combine was 4.93. That's slow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote