Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Blake
So let me start this by saying, Jeff Blake played before I became a Bengals fan and all that I knew about him came from this board. That said I watched his interview with Willie Anderson on Instagram and listening to him talk he sounds like he is incredibly intelligent and understands the QB position like very few do. Also listening to Big Willie gush over him was quite interesting. It also seems like the Bengals front office did him dirty. The way Blake describes it is the coaches had to push to keep him in the line-up as the front office never saw him as their guy, that they were always trying to replace him either with Boomer, Neil O'Donnell, or Akili. Could anyone who was a fan around that time tell me if that seems accurate? And share some of your favorite Blake memories as I'm very interested in learning more about the guy.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is another good interview if you’re interested.

https://youtu.be/agKrcY3KiLU

Reply/Quote
The man started 66 games in 6 years here, never a winning season I'm not sure how you spin that any other way but he was nothing special and never got us over the hump, overall he only had one winning g season as a QB in his career ..
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 12:29 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The man started 66 games in 6 years here, never a winning season I'm not sure how you spin that any other way but he was nothing special and never got us over the hump, overall he only had one winning g season as a QB in his career ..

He sure had a nice rainbow deep ball at times. But I remember him being short A little for the game. Seemed to have more passing batted down at the line than Dalton. I’m not sure, if someone wants to look that up have at it.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 12:29 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The man started 66 games in 6 years here, never a winning season I'm not sure how you spin that any other way but he was nothing special and never got us over the hump, overall he only had one winning g season as a QB in his career ..

In 1995 he somehow managed to be a Pro Bowl QB (and was top 5 in TD passes) for a team most knew as the “Bungles” during an era so bad it’s referred to as the “lost decade”

He doesn’t get nearly as much respect as he should.

Reply/Quote
if he was as good at the short/intermediate game as his deep game was, he would have been an all pro every year. His accuracy and touch were atrocious. But that rainbow ball....thing of beauty. He knew how to lead his receivers and let them run under the ball.
Reply/Quote
Yep, he was a one trick poney…. throw it deep. He was one of the best at it, but was mediocre at everything else.
Reply/Quote
We had Jeff as a guest on the show a couple of weeks back, he spoke about the struggle to simply get recruited out of HS as an African American QB, feel free to check out the interview below:

https://youtu.be/S43gnd_lbJs
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 09:00 AM)corpjet Wrote: We had Jeff as a guest on the show a couple of weeks back, he spoke about the struggle to simply get recruited out of HS as an African American QB, feel free to check out the interview below:

https://youtu.be/S43gnd_lbJs

Urban Meyer would have loved him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jeff Blake was a little before my time. I started watching them around 2003-2004 when I started playing football in middle school.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
He certainly had his flaws, but things were so bad in the 90s that 95 through 97 actually had some fun moments. (I've always thought the 96 team could've been a playoff qualifier if things had been a little different.)

Even with all those flaws, Jeff was an upgrade over David Klingler.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 08:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, he was a one trick poney…. throw it deep. He was one of the best at it, but was mediocre at everything else.

I disagree.

He finished in the top 10 in completion percentage twice ('97, '00) which is more times than Andy Dalton did.

Blake was also an excellent runner.  He finished in the top 3 in rushing yards by a QB 3 different years ('95-2nd, '96-2nd, '99-3rd).

Not saying Blake was a great star or anything like that.  But he was more than just a deep ball thrower.  In 2000 he led the Saints to a 7-3 start before getting injured early in game 11.  That team had a top 10 defense and a top 10 rushing offense.  They were good enough to beat the defending Super Bowl Champion "Greatest Show on Turf" St. Louis Rams in the playoffs.  Shame we did not get to see what they could have done with a healthy Blake at QB.
Reply/Quote
I was 9 or 10 when Blake joined the team, and that was the time I really started to invest myself as a Bengals fan. With so much going wrong in the Blake years for the Bengals, I will admit he offered a little excitement. He wasn't the greatest QB of all time (and as I recall he bounced around to several teams after the Bengals and never did much), but that deep ball was inspirational to any kid playing backyard football and those downfield shots kept some energy in the games. His "glory" years came with the Bengals, but in the decade of bag-headed fans, everyone wanted a single savior and he wasn't it.
Reply/Quote
Blake was a better QB than people give him credit for.
Can anyone name one o-lineman that blocked
For him that was a Pro Bowler or All Pro ?

People tend to forget Blake had a very subpar
Running game behind him. At times he was the best runner
In the Bengals offense

Teams knew the Bengals couldn't run the ball
So they didn't have to bring a safety up in the box
Blake Pickens Scott McGee were,the only threats
On offense for the Bengals
Occasionally Hundon or Dunn would make some
Clutch plays. But I think Hundon really shined with
Boomer if my memory is correct
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 12:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Blake was a better QB than people give him credit for.
Can anyone name one o-lineman that blocked
For him that was a Pro Bowler or All Pro ?

People tend to forget Blake had a very subpar
Running game behind him. At times he was the best runner
In the Bengals offense

Teams knew the Bengals couldn't run the ball
So they didn't have to bring a safety up in the box
Blake Pickens Scott McGee were,the only threats
On offense for the Bengals
Occasionally Hundon or Dunn would make some
Clutch plays. But I think Hundon really shined with
Boomer if my memory is correct

Willie

Goff, O'Dwyer and Braham were very good as well.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 10:31 PM)Bryan Wrote: So let me start this by saying, Jeff Blake played before I became a Bengals fan and all that I knew about him came from this board. That said I watched his interview with Willie Anderson on Instagram and listening to him talk he sounds like he is incredibly intelligent and understands the QB position like very few do. Also listening to Big Willie gush over him was quite interesting. It also seems like the Bengals front office did him dirty. The way Blake describes it is the coaches had to push to keep him in the line-up as the front office never saw him as their guy, that they were always trying to replace him either with Boomer, Neil O'Donnell, or Akili. Could anyone who was a fan around that time tell me if that seems accurate? And share some of your favorite Blake memories as I'm very interested in learning more about the guy.

Blake was thrust into the starting lineup after Klingler and Hollas got hurt mid-season '94.   He instantly injected some life into a dead offense with his high arching bombs to Scott and Pickens.  Amazing that a 3rd string qb was so much better than the high drafted "Klingon". 

There was a brief period  of Blake mania after he took over.   He came back to earth but was an above average QB in 95-96.  Good mobility, great long passer, average but inconsistent intermediate passer.  On dump offs and swing passes to his backs he was terrible.  He would throw those short ones full speed, no touch at all.   

I fondly remember how he brought some life to the franchise during a very bad time but overall turned out to be a fairly erratic performer and a bit immature at times.  I remember him rolling on the ground to celebrate a touchdown when losing by 30 points, that was troubling coming from a QB.   He struggled in '97, Boomer took his job late in the year and played much better.   He saw some playing time in 98/99 but never got back to where he was in 94/95/96.
Reply/Quote
I believe his first start in 94 came against the Cowboys. The Bengals hasn't won a game and Barry Switzer compared them to the awful Iowa State teams Oklahoma played in the 80s.

Well, then the Bengals played their best game in four years and almost upset Dallas. That kind of started the move away from embarrassing to "Hey, we might actually have a chance to win every week" which lasted over the next couple of years.

I know that's not saying much, but that's what the 90s were like.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 01:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: In 1995 he somehow managed to be a Pro Bowl QB (and was top 5 in TD passes) for a team most knew as the “Bungles” during an era so bad it’s referred to as the “lost decade”

He doesn’t get nearly as much respect as he should.

First with your last statement, Dalton would be like top ten with lack of respect for what he did .. correct ? Well we got a name then for  Blake.. "ICE ICE BLAKE".. called a one hit wonder.. again it is hard to get around his mediocre overall stats.. and the lost 90s means half of those 90s are with him as a QB hmmmm You might want to really look back at some of your QB posts.. you don;t seem to be very consistent
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 03:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Willie

Goff, O'Dwyer and Braham were very good as well.

I don't think Willie was a Pro Bowler yet when Blake was the 
Starting QB.
Reply/Quote
I only read Bryan's original post, and I'm not gonna bother reading anything else below it because I see what Bryan is doing. Real slick stuff. I'm not gonna take the bait, friendo
Reply/Quote