Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Blake
(06-12-2020, 09:00 AM)corpjet Wrote: We had Jeff as a guest on the show a couple of weeks back, he spoke about the struggle to simply get recruited out of HS as an African American QB, feel free to check out the interview below:

https://youtu.be/S43gnd_lbJs

Good interview 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Say what you want about his skills. He brought a little excitement to an otherwise moribund franchise. When my family cam back to Ohio after living just off post at FT. Bliss for ten years he was the QB for my first ever Bengals game. The crowd held it's collective breath on that first deep ball and it was thing of beauty. He will always be one of my favorite Bengals. Plus he beat the Oiltans that day. having lived in TX it was a sweet, sweet win.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 06:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First with your last statement, Dalton would be like top ten with lack of respect for what he did .. correct ? Well we got a name then for  Blake.. "ICE ICE BLAKE".. called a one hit wonder.. again it is hard to get around his mediocre overall stats.. and the lost 90s means half of those 90s are with him as a QB hmmmm You might want to really look back at some of your QB posts.. you don;t seem to be very consistent

Dalton has a legion of diehard fanboys, just because he’s not unanimously loved amongst Bengals fans doesn’t put him in the same category of being severely under appreciated, or deserving of way more credit than he ever got. NOBODY ever talks about Blake when they’re discussing Bengals QB’s. It’s always just the big 4. As far as Blake being part of the lost decade? Him winning 7-8 games for the absolute worst franchise in the league at the time is pretty damn impressive. But it’s funny...when discussing the Dalton era, and the bad records/stats like the last few years it’s endless excuses about OL’s, coaching, injuries, etc, but with Jeff Blake it’s just cut and dry that he wasn’t very good cause look at his record and stats! Talk about inconsistency...

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 08:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dalton has a legion of diehard fanboys, just because he’s not unanimously loved amongst Bengals fans doesn’t put him in the same category of being severely under appreciated, or deserving of way more credit than he ever got. NOBODY ever talks about Blake when they’re discussing Bengals QB’s. It’s always just the big 4. As far as Blake being part of the lost decade? Him winning 7-8 games for the absolute worst franchise in the league at the time is pretty damn impressive. But it’s funny...when discussing the Dalton era, and the bad records/stats like the last few years it’s endless excuses about OL’s, coaching, injuries, etc, but with Jeff Blake it’s just cut and dry that he wasn’t very good cause look at his record and stats! Talk about inconsistency...

Yep... Blake played on some trash teams with garbage coaching. I think he could've done pretty will with the 03-05 and 2011-2015 teams.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 08:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dalton has a legion of diehard fanboys, just because he’s not unanimously loved amongst Bengals fans doesn’t put him in the same category of being severely under appreciated, or deserving of way more credit than he ever got. NOBODY ever talks about Blake when they’re discussing Bengals QB’s. It’s always just the big 4. As far as Blake being part of the lost decade? Him winning 7-8 games for the absolute worst franchise in the league at the time is pretty damn impressive. But it’s funny...when discussing the Dalton era, and the bad records/stats like the last few years it’s endless excuses about OL’s, coaching, injuries, etc, but with Jeff Blake it’s just cut and dry that he wasn’t very good cause look at his record and stats! Talk about inconsistency...

Again you totally missed the logic.. you continue to say he played on worst franchise of the 90s but he started the majority of the 90s for that team.. then you act like Dalton should not get credit for starting on a team that went to 5 straight playoffs.. you can;t have it both ways but im not surprised you are trying.. since there is a legion of Dalton sucked boys out there
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 08:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Again you totally missed the logic.. you continue to say he played on worst franchise of the 90s but he started the majority of the 90s for that team.. then you act like Dalton should not get credit for starting on a team that went to 5 straight playoffs.. you can;t have it both ways but im not surprised you are trying.. since there is a legion of Dalton sucked boys out there

Ofc Dalton deserves credit. He was a pretty good QB for a while. Only a troll would suggest otherwise. He also deserves a lot of the blame for never getting some really good teams over the hump. But being critical of him in any way = being a hater and thinking he always sucked to some like you.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 08:42 PM)jason Wrote: Yep... Blake played on some trash teams with garbage coaching. I think he could've done pretty will with the 03-05 and 2011-2015 teams.

yep, just say Shula and Coslet and drop the mic
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 10:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: yep, just say Shula and Coslet and drop the mic

Yeah... On top of that. Who was on the defensive side of the ball back then? The only guys that even come to mind are Tovar, Big Daddy, and Copeland. God those teams were bad! I remember just having some player breakout (Blake, Hearst, eventually Corey) any given year was about all we could hope for.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 06:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I don't think Willie was a Pro Bowler yet when Blake was the 
Starting QB.

Lol who cares if he wasn't named, he was beyond good enough.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
With Jeff Blake, as with most things, context is important.

He brought excitement where there was none. He gave hope where none existed.

While he wasn't actually just a one trick pony, I have vivid memories of thinking damn, if this guy could complete a ten yard out, he really would be special.

And he definitely had a shelf life as a Bengal. During his last year s a starter here, Boomer took over with the same lineup Blake had and the difference was night and day.

The bottom line, though, was Jeff Blake was a pretty cool chapter in Bengals history.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 12:27 PM)McC Wrote: With Jeff Blake, as with most things, context is important.

He brought excitement where there was none.  He gave hope where none existed.

While he wasn't actually just a one trick pony, I have vivid memories of thinking damn, if this guy could complete a ten yard out, he really would be special.

And he definitely had a shelf life as a Bengal.  During his last year s a starter here, Boomer took over with the same lineup Blake had and the difference was night and day.

The bottom line, though, was Jeff Blake was a pretty cool chapter in Bengals history.

Right

From 91-94 we had 14 wins. Along comes Blake and you could at least pull the brown paper bag up above your eyebrows a bit. Despite the awful coaching/no coaching. We actually went 7-9 then 8-8 and were in several of the loses.

Blake put a bit of fun back into watching Bengals football. Was he a super star QB ? No But considering what he had to work with he did pretty well.
Reply/Quote