Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jeff Driskel broke arm taking reps at WR
Per Jim Owczarski:

'As of now, Jeff Driskel is the backup quarterback.

But following the end of the Bengals’ 2017 season, Driskel quietly walked out of Paul Brown Stadium with his left, non-throwing arm in a black sling. The second-year player was still on injured reserve at that point of the year, but was practicing as he worked to return from broken fingers on his throwing hand suffered in the preseason.

So how did the 24-year-old injure his other arm?

In practice leading up to the season final against the Ravens, a league source told The Enquirer Driskel was asked to take reps at wide receiver.

He did, and after making a leaping one-handed catch, he fell on his left arm and broke it. The quarterback needed surgery so a rod could be inserted to stabilize the arm, but Driskel should not miss any time once voluntary workouts begin in April.'

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/02/17/bengals-extra-what-does-aj-mccarron-decision-mean-cincinnati-bengals/347193002/
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 12:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Per Jim Owczarski:

'As of now, Jeff Driskel is the backup quarterback.

But following the end of the Bengals’ 2017 season, Driskel quietly walked out of Paul Brown Stadium with his left, non-throwing arm in a black sling. The second-year player was still on injured reserve at that point of the year, but was practicing as he worked to return from broken fingers on his throwing hand suffered in the preseason.

So how did the 24-year-old injure his other arm?

In practice leading up to the season final against the Ravens, a league source told The Enquirer Driskel was asked to take reps at wide receiver.

He did, and after making a leaping one-handed catch, he fell on his left arm and broke it. The quarterback needed surgery so a rod could be inserted to stabilize the arm, but Driskel should not miss any time once voluntary workouts begin in April.'

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/02/17/bengals-extra-what-does-aj-mccarron-decision-mean-cincinnati-bengals/347193002/

Not sure what to think about move after season was basically over. 

But he is very athletic and would not mind seeing Bengals finding a way to get him the ball several times a game. 

Still thought he had a chance of being a good back up QB as well though. 

Tough break. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 12:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not sure what to think about move after season was basically over. 

But he is very athletic and would not mind seeing Bengals finding a way to get him the ball several times a game. 

Still thought he had a chance of being a good back up QB as well though. 

Tough break. 

well when 1 handed about the only thing you can practice is one handed catches... so makes sense.

Also if your Backup QB can play more positions just makes him more valuable.   But if we want a QB turn WR lets get TP  lol (there might be better but I don't remember any others right now..)
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well when 1 handed about the only thing you can practice is one handed catches... so makes sense.

Also if your Backup QB can play more positions just makes him more valuable.   But if we want a QB turn WR lets get TP  lol (there might be better but I don't remember any others right now..)

Nick Foles, Tom Brady....
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Nick Foles, Tom Brady....

1 Catch a WR does not make...  

But if you qualify those 2 then we already got one.... Andy Dalton

Or did you forget
Reply/Quote
Just comical at this point.

Our first round pick who was a wide receiver cant see the field and we have a backup quarterback taking reps in practice at wide receiver.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Just comical at this point.

Our first round pick who was a wide receiver cant see the field and we have a backup quarterback taking reps in practice at wide receiver.

Our 1st round pick couldn't see the field cause he was hurt.

They really don't have anything to do with each other...     Nice REEEEEEEEACH though..
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 1 Catch a WR does not make...  

Or did you forget

I didn’t forget that awesome play! Sanu to Dalton. Blidi Wreh-Wilson still has the burn marks.
Reply/Quote
katies fault.
Reply/Quote
See nothing wrong with this at all.... they are just looking outside the box, which is a good things. Injuries happen...
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Just comical at this point.

Particularly since "the powers that be" were or should have been aware that the team was most certainly going to loose AJM.

I mean is this fiction? Just blows my mind that nobody in this organization was giving any thought towards the 2018 QB situation. I know Pee-Wee coach's and league's that use more common sense.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:22 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: katies fault.

Katie was over there making out with Wes Mantooth all the while belittling him in front of all his friends. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
what about starting driskel and asking dalton take WR reps, xD
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: See nothing wrong with this at all.... they are just looking outside the box, which is a good things. Injuries happen...

Sorry, but I disagree completely, for this particular situation. Someone should have been thinking "inside" of the box. The one that says QB depth chart. Knowing full well that in just six short weeks they were going to loose the #2 QB.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:44 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Katie was over there making out with Wes Mantooth all the while belittling him in front of all his friends. 

classic katie cuckjob.  
Reply/Quote
I guess it falls under the category of 'making a football play' as opposed to the many other football plays that aren't football plays.. Come time for free agency it'll morph into making a volleyball play or maybe even an athletic type girls gymnastics play..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It's his non throwing arm, it literally has no impact on anything. He will be back throwing during mini camp and this will be another non factor. Late in the season when guys were hurt and out of practice they were most likely using all sorts of guys out of position for the scout team, it happens.
Reply/Quote
Classic Bengals
Reply/Quote
I don't think the Bengals would have risked this had McCarron been traded.
But toward the end of the season when there's a whole offseason to recover from something? Sure, not much harm in taking the risk. It's not like Driskel should be the favorite to back up Dalton anyway.
I fully expect the Bengals to get some mediocre vet backup or draft a QB to compete for QB2 duties with Driskel. If Driskel is healthy enough to compete and can win the backup battle, great. If not, so be it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:48 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Sorry, but I disagree completely, for this particular situation. Someone should have been thinking "inside" of the box. The one that says QB depth chart. Knowing full well that in just six short weeks they were going to loose the #2 QB.

pretty sure they will draft one. to compete anyways
Reply/Quote