Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Luc at Fullback
Before anyone kills me for forgetting Ryan Hewitt, I haven't forgotten him at all. But I think Hewitt provides a lot of options as an H-back where his receiving and route-running ability can pay dividends. With our recent dearth of TEs, I have been hearing a lot more about Jeff Luc, former ILB at UC. He is playing some fullback for the Bengals and apparently turning some heads.

He is about 270 lbs, with roughly 8% bodyfat. I have linked his draft profile and combine results. I don't think the running game has ever been much better than when the Bengals had a healthy (and not as fat) Jeremy Johnson leading the way for Rudi Johnson. This guy is a beast, and if he can contribute on special teams, perhaps he could work in a rotation with Hewitt and help keep him healthy and productive through the season and beyond.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jeff-luc?id=2553101

I was just wondering if anyone who has attended camp has seen this guy in action as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2016, 12:53 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Before anyone kills me for forgetting Ryan Hewitt, I haven't forgotten him at all.  But I think Hewitt provides a lot of options as an H-back where his receiving and route-running ability can pay dividends.  With our recent dearth of TEs, I have been hearing a lot more about Jeff Luc, former ILB at UC. He is playing some fullback for the Bengals and apparently turning some heads.

He is about 270 lbs, with roughly 8% bodyfat.  I have linked his draft profile and combine results.  I don't think the running game has ever been much better than when the Bengals had a healthy (and not as fat) Jeremy Johnson leading the way for Rudi Johnson. This guy is a beast, and if he can contribute on special teams, perhaps he could work in a rotation with Hewitt and help keep him healthy and productive through the season and beyond.  

I was just wondering if anyone who has attended camp has seen this guy in action as well.

Marvin said 271 talking with Solly and Takeo Spikes (guessing you heard that one based on the bodyfat comment) and seemed EXCITED in talking about him.

As Hewitt has received an extension, he won't be going anywhere.  But I can foresee the roster playing out to involve both a H-Back and Fullback. Maybe we'll roll with 3 TE, 1 HB, 1 FB, 4 RB.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2016, 01:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Marvin said 271 talking with Solly and Takeo Spikes (guessing you heard that one based on the bodyfat comment) and seemed EXCITED in talking about him.

As Hewitt has received an extension, he won't be going anywhere.  But I can foresee the roster playing out to involve both a H-Back and Fullback. Maybe we'll roll with 3 TE, 1 HB, 1 FB, 4 RB.

That's what I'm hoping for.  I think Luc could pay dividends in short yardage and goalline where I would rather not use Hewitt as a battering ram.
Reply/Quote
Hewitt might be moving on to a more TE role, what with Eifert out for an indeterminate amount of time and Kroft with a hyper extended knee or whatever. Might also just take over the role they've crafted for Burkhead lately and they go 3 TE, 1 HB, 1 FB, 3 RB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Goes with the new motto.

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2016, 12:53 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Before anyone kills me for forgetting Ryan Hewitt, I haven't forgotten him at all.  But I think Hewitt provides a lot of options as an H-back where his receiving and route-running ability can pay dividends.  With our recent dearth of TEs, I have been hearing a lot more about Jeff Luc, former ILB at UC. He is playing some fullback for the Bengals and apparently turning some heads.

He is about 270 lbs, with roughly 8% bodyfat.  I have linked his draft profile and combine results.  I don't think the running game has ever been much better than when the Bengals had a healthy (and not as fat) Jeremy Johnson leading the way for Rudi Johnson. This guy is a beast, and if he can contribute on special teams, perhaps he could work in a rotation with Hewitt and help keep him healthy and productive through the season and beyond.  

Would be fine with it if he earns it and Hewitt is used elsewhere.

Agree also that Ballard HS product Jeremy Johnson helped Rudi get his groove on for sure. 

But that O-line was very good as well.

Still valid point by you though. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
He looks slow to me.
But, that doesn't mean there isn't a potential role for him on the practice squad, considering he can also play LB on the scout team. On the 53, there isn't room for a true FB. If you were thinking goal line they'll just bring Fisher in as an extra blocker. We're not sure why Hewitt has been out the last couple days but the only way Luc has a shot is if he somehow shows up running patterns as a TE like Hewitt would do to show some other versatility.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2016, 09:46 PM)jowczarski Wrote: He looks slow to me.
But, that doesn't mean there isn't a potential role for him on the practice squad, considering he can also play LB on the scout team. On the 53, there isn't room for a true FB. If you were thinking goal line they'll just bring Fisher in as an extra blocker. We're not sure why Hewitt has been out the last couple days but the only way Luc has a shot is if he somehow shows up running patterns as a TE like Hewitt would do to show some other versatility.

He did run something like 4.65, which is pretty amazing for a guy his size and strength.  When you add pads to this guy it isn't going to destroy his power-to-weight ratio, either.  

I  hear what you are saying about a true FB, but if he can produce on special teams maybe it makes sense to carry him over a rarely used WR (like Alford?).  

I know it is challenging for a spot like his that is used so infrequently in today's game, but I sure like the idea of a sledgehammer like him opening holes for Jeremy and Gio.  

Marvin keeps preaching the running game....I guess we will see.  
Reply/Quote