Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jeff Okudah Traded to Falcons
For pennies. I know he's been hurt a lot but with our need at CB I think we could have took a swing at him for the price. Missed opportunity.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/11/lions-trade-jeff-okudah-to-falcons-for-a-fifth-round-draft-pick/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 04:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: For pennies. I know he's been hurt a lot but with our need at CB I think we could have took a swing at him for the price. Missed opportunity.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/11/lions-trade-jeff-okudah-to-falcons-for-a-fifth-round-draft-pick/

We essentially got this in Sid the kid
Reply/Quote
A missed opportunity to draft a guy who’s hurt a lot? I’m glad we missed it.

If it’s such a pressing need there are still corners out there to sign and keep the pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 04:18 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: We essentially got this in Sid the kid

Exactly, I actually like Sidney even more as a player, both are injured all the time.
Reply/Quote
As he was the third overall pick, he commands a sizable salary. That alone probably precluded the Bengals making a play on him unless he was cut.

Update:. Just looked and his cap hit for the upcoming season is just a bit over $5 million. That's still considerable given his first 3 seasons.
Reply/Quote
Instead of trading anything to get a depth guy for the CB room, the team could just sign Rock Ya-Sin and keep all their draft picks.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 08:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Instead of trading anything to get a depth guy for the CB room, the team could just sign Rock Ya-Sin and keep all their draft picks.

Or Apple. Or Peters. 

At this point, I think we are "one player away" from being set at almost every position. Most unsigned FAs, if they have not gone yet, are not going to be signed until after the draft. If teams miss on a need area, they'll corcle back to them.

Similarly, in terms of FAs: if great value falls to a team and they cannot pass it up, perhaps some guys get released and create opportunities there.

If Tee's SB hit this year is $5 mil, and Burrow's is $7.5 mil, we will have precious pittle cap space left. Under $5 mil. We could create some some by releasing guys with zero/small dead cap numbers. Brandon Wilson makes $2 mil and is zero dead cap. And is likely the 5th safety, so there is no need to sign a replacement. Tupou makes $1.57 mil with a $150k dead cap, but he is a rotational guy, a signing ($750k min), would have to take the spot. We can create some more space this way, depending on how the draft goes, but savings are gonna be small per player. Jonah, Mixon, and/or Collins is what would really move the needle. 
Reply/Quote
This was, in essence, a lottery draw by the Falcons. Guy who has been a complete and utter bust for both performance and injury issues in the first 3 years of his career.

You're only trading for his 2023 season because you're not picking up the 5th year option on that player right after trading for him without seeing him on the field or even in Training camp. And, on top of that, he's pretty expensive at 5M for this year.

I know we all would love to do the flashy move to get the former top 3 pick. You gotta believe there's some talent in there somewhere, but based on what he's done so far in the NFL, how much he is making this year and how much longer his contract is (just 1 year), I think a 5th round pick is...kind of an overpay haha.

I wouldn't feel confident giving him any starter reps unless he's earned them. I would much rather spend that 5M on Eli Apple, if given the choice between the two. I'd get to keep my 5th round pick too.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 04:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: For pennies. I know he's been hurt a lot but with our need at CB I think we could have took a swing at him for the price. Missed opportunity.

You are spot on! This kid has all of the skills needed to be a good DB in the NFL. He has been stuck in a place with piss poor coaching and a lack of stability. Throwing a 5th round pick at first round talent is a no brainer and a missed opportunity for a DB needy team. 

Not a single one of the naysayers even considered to bring up the fact that he has been stuck in the circus that is the Detroit Lions.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 04:43 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: You are spot on! This kid has all of the skills needed to be a good DB in the NFL. He has been stuck in a place with piss poor coaching and a lack of stability. Throwing a 5th round pick at first round talent is a no brainer and a missed opportunity for a DB needy team. 

Not a single one of the naysayers even considered to bring up the fact that he has been stuck in the circus that is the Detroit Lions.

What does that have to do with his injury history? You want to pair okudah and his injury history with Sidney Jones and his?

I’ll pass. We got one. Don’t need to give up a pick to get another. Still free agents to sign if we need to

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 06:07 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: What does that have to do with his injury history?  You want to pair okudah and his injury history with Sidney Jones and his?

I’ll pass.  We got one.  Don’t need to give up a pick to get another.  Still free agents to sign if we need to

Exactly, and a lot of players do well on the Lions, we going to act like Darius Slay wasn't a stud when he was there?

At least Sidney Jones has looked good when he has been healthy unlike Okudah
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 08:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Instead of trading anything to get a depth guy for the CB room, the team could just sign Rock Ya-Sin and keep all their draft picks.

Rock Ya-Sin would be a good signing.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 06:07 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: What does that have to do with his injury history?  You want to pair okudah and his injury history with Sidney Jones and his?

I’ll pass.  We got one.  Don’t need to give up a pick to get another.  Still free agents to sign if we need to

A 5th round pick for a 1st round talent is nothing. It will be interesting to see how he plays in the ATL. I have a feeling that we may revisit this conversation later in the year.  
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:56 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: A 5th round pick for a 1st round talent is nothing. It will be interesting to see how he plays in the ATL. I have a feeling that we may revisit this conversation later in the year.  

Yeah and we can see who is playing better between Sidney and Jeff. Or if both are injured lol
Reply/Quote
The contract is a good argument against the trade. I'll give you guys that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 02:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: The contract is a good argument against the trade. I'll give you guys that.

I agree here as well. That is one of the reasons that draft picks are so coveted. That 4 years of control on a paltry rookie deal is gold for NFL execs. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:56 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: A 5th round pick for a 1st round talent is nothing. It will be interesting to see how he plays in the ATL. I have a feeling that we may revisit this conversation later in the year.  

Just because he was drafted in round 1 a few years ago doesn’t mean he’s a first round talent now. I generally agree with your premise though in this case, having already signed Jones I’m glad we didn’t do this particular trade.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 06:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, and a lot of players do well on the Lions, we going to act like Darius Slay wasn't a stud when he was there?

At least Sidney Jones has looked good when he has been healthy unlike Okudah

Don't know if anyone was looking great in the Detroit secondary under Aubrey Pleasant. Apparently all missed communication and blown assignments, not even a talent thing. Guy got fired at the end of October when the Lions were 1-6 and they finished 7-2 without him. 

Not saying I particularly wanted Okudah, but he had 3 position coaches in 3 years. At 24, he still has an outside chance at living up to his top-5 pick talent, he's just a few months older than CTB. At 27, Sidney Jones pretty much is who he is.

(Don't know if you care, but Pro Football Reference has Okudah as allowing 59.7% completion and an 87.6 QB Rating in coverage last year, roughly the exact same as Sidney in 2021, the last time he played any meaningful amount of snaps.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 10:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't know if anyone was looking great in the Detroit secondary under Aubrey Pleasant. Apparently all missed communication and blown assignments, not even a talent thing. Guy got fired at the end of October when the Lions were 1-6 and they finished 7-2 without him. 

Not saying I particularly wanted Okudah, but he had 3 position coaches in 3 years. At 24, he still has an outside chance at living up to his top-5 pick talent, he's just a few months older than CTB. At 27, Sidney Jones pretty much is who he is.

(Don't know if you care, but Pro Football Reference has Okudah as allowing 59.7% completion and an 87.6 QB Rating in coverage last year, roughly the exact same as Sidney in 2021, the last time he played any meaningful amount of snaps.)

Bad coach no doubt, Pleasant sure ain't no Anarumo. Okudah has had a lot of changes and he is young as you say.

Still, when I watched both Jeff and Sid play I thought Sid looked better PFR aside.
Reply/Quote