Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeffery Simmons Torn ACL

This guy has legit talent and now may be available in the 2nd round at our pick. I have been big on not taking a DT early because of the depth of talent but with our 2nd pick, or even sliding back up in the 1st to grab him late I am all in.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 01:02 PM)Au165 Wrote:

This guy has legit talent and now may be available in the 2nd round at our pick. I have been big on not taking a DT early because of the depth of talent but with our 2nd pick, or even sliding back up in the 1st to grab him late I am all in.

Tough break for him.  I think that between this and his off field issues that there's a good chance he makes it to us in 2.  Depending on how FA shakes out, he would probably be worth a roll of the dice on a medical redshirt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's a stud, but likely you now have to wait a year. 8 months is probably realistic to heal but as much as 12 months on something like this.
Reply/Quote
I’m tired of this team taking injured players and waiting a year for them. Depending on free agency, I address ol, lb and probably te first. If I could trade back into the third to get him if he is still there then fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Please, please let some other team take the gamble with the injured college players. I can hear it now after a failed 2020 season, "he's just a rookie." Enough of this trying to get a bargain when we need players who can step in and do a good job this season.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 02:27 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Please, please let some other team take the gamble with the injured college players. I can hear it now after a failed 2020 season, "he's just a rookie." Enough of this trying to get a bargain when we need players who can step in and do a good job this season.

We sure could have used taking Jaylon Smith and redshirting him right about now.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 02:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: We sure could have used taking Jaylon Smith and redshirting him right about now.

Sadly, I think on second thought we would need to pass on Simmons.  I forgot his assault arrest was for hitting a woman.  That's a bad look when we already have Joe Mixon on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 03:21 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sadly, I think on second thought we would need to pass on Simmons.  I forgot his assault arrest was for hitting a woman.  That's a bad look when we already have Joe Mixon on the roster.

True, but when was the last time anyone cared that Joe Mixon had that charge? Didn't seem to be affecting his stock heading in but I admit I don't know a ton on the this specific story. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 02:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: We sure could have used taking Jaylon Smith and redshirting him right about now.

We sure could have used a OT who could block while Ogbuehi did his imitation of a turnstile. We also could have used a LB or someone else with that #9 pick who could have had a top 10 type impact over the past two years.

Let someone else gamble with their high round draft picks. We have holes that need to be filled by starting caliber players this year.

If we were all set with our starters and didn't have so many holes then I'd be ok with gambling on a guy with talent. But as it is we have no TEs, need a starting RG, RT and probably two LBers.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 03:52 PM)BengalChris Wrote: We sure could have used a OT who could block while Ogbuehi did his imitation of a turnstile. We also could have used a LB or someone else with that #9 pick who could have had a top 10 type impact over the past two years.

Let someone else gamble with their high round draft picks. We have holes that need to be filled by starting caliber players this year.

If we were all set with our starters and didn't have so many holes then I'd be ok with gambling on a guy with talent. But as it is we have no TEs, need a starting RG, RT and probably two LBers.

Ogbeuhi doesn't suck because he was hurt he sucks because he sucks. If instead of Ogbeuhi you waited a year for an injured Tyron Smith you wouldn't care. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Ogbeuhi doesn't suck because he was hurt he sucks because he sucks. If instead of Ogbeuhi you waited a year for an injured Tyron Smith you wouldn't care. 

Yeah, but Tyron Smith didn't come in injured.

I'm not against taking the right guy who has to red shirt. I am against drafting for the future by taking a injured guy when there are guys there on the board who would start this year. Too many holes on this team.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 04:10 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, but Tyron Smith didn't come in injured.

I'm not against taking the right guy who has to red shirt. I am against drafting for the future by taking a injured guy when there are guys there on the board who would start this year. Too many holes on this team.

Right, but your example wasted wasted a pick on an injured Ogbuehi I was simply pointing out the injury didn't matter. We weren't going to bail on him any quicker with using an early pick on him so it was a missed pick injury aside. I used Jaylon Smith originally because he is the last potential top 10 talent I remember getting hurt this close to the draft that may fall out of the 1st. We'd use a 2nd all day now to get Smith, I think we may feel that way about DT after this season. 

Sometimes you have to work a year or so ahead getting value when it's there. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 04:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Right, but your example wasted wasted a pick on an injured Ogbuehi I was simply pointing out the injury didn't matter. We weren't going to bail on him any quicker with using an early pick on him so it was a missed pick injury aside. I used Jaylon Smith originally because he is the last potential top 10 talent I remember getting hurt this close to the draft that may fall out of the 1st. We'd use a 2nd all day now to get Smith, I think we may feel that way about DT after this season. 

Sometimes you have to work a year or so ahead getting value when it's there. 

If they are injured you don't really know what you are getting. You can't test them, work them out or anything.

This isn't the year to gamble when we need starters at several positions.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 02:27 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Please, please let some other team take the gamble with the injured college players. I can hear it now after a failed 2020 season, "he's just a rookie." Enough of this trying to get a bargain when we need players who can step in and do a good job this season.

Yeah, I agree here. Plus, the uncertainty that comes with injuries sets us up for the possibility of another injury prone player. In addition, there’s a chance he doesn’t quite heal enough to be 100%.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 04:56 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah, I agree here. Plus, the uncertainty that comes with injuries sets us up for the possibility of another injury prone player. In addition, there’s a chance he doesn’t quite heal enough to be 100%.

Or takes two years to get back to where he was.  Remember Geno's knee.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Woah now people I get you are worried about the injury and yes he will likely have to sit out his first year.

...but Jeffery Simmons is one of the best defensive tackles in a deep defensive line class.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 03:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: True, but when was the last time anyone cared that Joe Mixon had that charge? Didn't seem to be affecting his stock heading in but I admit I don't know a ton on the this specific story. 

A lot of people were livid when we took him.  Thankfully, Joe's been a beast on the field and has done a lot to repair his image off the field with his interviews and charity work.  He's really dealt with it as well as possible.

I guess I'm on the fence. I understand the gamble if you take him, but I understand passing on him because you give the media a ton of ammo to use the second someone steps the least bit sideways.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 03:21 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sadly, I think on second thought we would need to pass on Simmons.  I forgot his assault arrest was for hitting a woman.  That's a bad look when we already have Joe Mixon on the roster.

oh here we go lmao!  wiki a dude and know his life story.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
What someone did when they were a teenager should not be held over their head when their a grown man who hasn't repeated that behavior. This guy grew up in a different culture and environment that lead him to make a bad decision. I remember growing up and the whole world was about people redeeming themselves and second chances... Not today.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Ogbeuhi doesn't suck because he was hurt he sucks because he sucks. If instead of Ogbeuhi you waited a year for an injured Tyron Smith you wouldn't care. 

Yep, it takes more than dance lessons to play OT in the NFL.  To do well at any position on the line, it takes a fair amount of nasty, that natural born aggression that usually comes with a strong desire to physically dominate other large human beings.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote