Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeffrey Simmons vs Joe Mixon & The Bengals Rep
By now, anyone reading this post has certainly seen the rather disturbing clips of Joe Mixon and Tennessee DL draftee Jeffrey Simmons.

Both clips - both incidents - were ugly and disturbing.

The Bengals took a lot of heat for taking Mixon in the 2nd, even though he unquestionably had 1st round talent, because of his off-the-field issues. But everyone vouched for Mixon. Coaches, friends, teammates, etc. Everyone said he was a high character guy who made a really bad mistake. And thus far, all that appears to be true. But the Bengals org was surrounded by bad press for days following the selection. It was one of the lead stories on the front page of ESPN.com. It was everywhere.

Fast forward to last night - Tennessee takes Simmons at #20 overall, even though he is coming off an ACL injury. ESPN definitely mentioned the "incident" and even showed a clip. But no one questioned the Titans org for taking him. Not in any meaningful way.

Casual NFL fans likely hadn't even heard of Simmons until last night. Highly doubtful those casual fans knew about his past. The bigger story with Simmons was his injury.

We have 2 very similar situations - both teams took a talented player who had character concerns due to disturbing incidents involving physical violence towards women. The Bengals waited until round 2; the Titans took theirs with their #20 overall pick. Having seen both videos, in my opinion, Simmons' was worse. He hit that woman while she was down multiple times. And I am going to stop there because they're both disgusting and and I don't dare try to lessen the severity of either. Let's just call them even.

So what are the variables here? Why so much outcry over Mixon and so little over Simmons?

Mixon's suffered from recency. His happened the year of his pick; Simmons' happened a couple of years ago. That's a factor.

But try to imagine the outcry if the Bengals took Simmons at 11. There's your answer.

Guys like PacMan Jones and the late Chris Henry have tarnished this org's reputation immeasurably. And while many will argue Burfict did more harm, I argue that he was the victim of this reputation - not a catalyst. But that's another topic.

The Titans are no stranger to legal troubles. The Steelers have as many thugs as we ever had. The Kansas City Chiefs had to cut Kareem Hunt for hitting a woman (he was then picked up by the Browns) and will likely have to cut Tyreek Hill for domestic violence issues. But no one associates the Chiefs with the Bengals in terms of employing bad dudes. The Browns took Hunt with little to no fanfare. The NFL as a whole has a checkered rep. But no team more so than the Bengals.

And I have thought about this and thought about it, and I really don't know the answer as to why.

Why does the NFL hate us? Why is our reputation so lousy?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:53 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: By now, anyone reading this post has certainly seen the rather disturbing clips of Joe Mixon and Tennessee DL draftee Jeffrey Simmons.

Both clips - both incidents - were ugly and disturbing.

The Bengals took a lot of heat for taking Mixon in the 2nd, even though he unquestionably had 1st round talent, because of his off-the-field issues. But everyone vouched for Mixon. Coaches, friends, teammates, etc. Everyone said he was a high character guy who made a really bad mistake. And thus far, all that appears to be true. But the Bengals org was surrounded by bad press for days following the selection. It was one of the lead stories on the front page of ESPN.com. It was everywhere.

Fast forward to last night - Tennessee takes Simmons at #20 overall, even though he is coming off an ACL injury. ESPN definitely mentioned the "incident" and even showed a clip. But no one questioned the Titans org for taking him. Not in any meaningful way.

Casual NFL fans likely hadn't even heard of Simmons until last night. Highly doubtful those casual fans knew about his past. The bigger story with Simmons was his injury.

We have 2 very similar situations - both teams took a talented player who had character concerns due to disturbing incidents involving physical violence towards women. The Bengals waited until round 2; the Titans took theirs with their #20 overall pick. Having seen both videos, in my opinion, Simmons' was worse. He hit that woman while she was down multiple times. And I am going to stop there because they're both disgusting and and I don't dare try to lessen the severity of either. Let's just call them even.

So what are the variables here? Why so much outcry over Mixon and so little over Simmons?

Mixon's suffered from recency. His happened the year of his pick; Simmons' happened a couple of years ago. That's a factor.

But try to imagine the outcry if the Bengals took Simmons at 11. There's your answer.

Guys like PacMan Jones and the late Chris Henry have tarnished this org's reputation immeasurably. And while many will argue Burfict did more harm, I argue that he was the victim of this reputation - not a catalyst. But that's another topic.

The Titans are no stranger to legal troubles. The Steelers have as many thugs as we ever had. The Kansas City Chiefs had to cut Kareem Hunt for hitting a woman (he was then picked up by the Browns) and will likely have to cut Tyreek Hill for domestic violence issues. But no one associates the Chiefs with the Bengals in terms of employing bad dudes. The Browns took Hunt with little to no fanfare. The NFL as a whole has a checkered rep. But no team more so than the Bengals.

And I have thought about this and thought about it, and I really don't know the answer as to why.

Why does the NFL hate us? Why is our reputation so lousy?

mixons happened before he was in college I believe he never had an incident during college

it happened back in 2014.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:57 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: mixons happened before he was in college I believe he never had an incident during college

it happened back in 2014.

That's right. I have no idea why it felt so recent.

That galvanizes my point. The recency factor isn't even in play. 

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:59 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: That's right. I have no idea why it felt so recent.

That galvanizes my point. The recency factor isn't even in play. 

yep its purely the media shit fest on the bengals cause its the thing to do... And not enough backlash
Reply/Quote
People say Simmons was protecting his sister, or something like that. With Mixon, it appeared to be a malicious thing whereas with Simmons protecting your sister is a noble thing.
So the reasoning behind the assault was different. I haven't seen the video or anything, so I'm just going off of what other people are saying.
Reply/Quote
Winning cures it all.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: People say Simmons was protecting his sister, or something like that. With Mixon, it appeared to be a malicious thing whereas with Simmons protecting your sister is a noble thing.
So the reasoning behind the assault was different. I haven't seen the video or anything, so I'm just going off of what other people are saying.

Yeah...ESPN did go a long way towards talking about the history too.

But, he could have just broke up the fight. He didn't have to hit the girl while she was on the ground.

Then, ESPN said they weren't telling us how to think. But, basically they dulled the edges of the offense. I think they even said it was way different circumstances than Mixon's.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...ESPN did go a long way towards talking about the history too.

But, he could have just broke up the fight. He didn't have to hit the girl while she was on the ground.

Then, ESPN said they weren't telling us how to think. But, basically they dulled the edges of the offense. I think they even said it was way different circumstances than Mixon's.

Yeah, they tried to hard to tell us they weren't telling us what to think that their bias was showing. Like a high-riding thong. 

Reply/Quote
Honestly I think the Simmons thing is much much worse than Mixon. Mixon was reacting to getting pushed then slapped yes it was a poor reaction but understandable given the circumstances. Simmons on the other hand double teamed beating a girl while she was on the ground with his sister.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The footage of Mixon's looked much worse. But, yeah it is hard to really tell which was actually worse.

Neither should be tolerated in society.
Reply/Quote
I thought Mixon did something stupid again for a second when I started reading this.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...ESPN did go a long way towards talking about the history too.

Yea, I mean I personally don't think Simmons' story is anywhere near as bad as Mixon's. I get why Bengals fans are upset about how different the reactions are, but I think the difference in reaction is warranted. Simmons was protecting his sister and mother and got carried away. Mixon essentially started the altercation (if we don't count a light shove by the woman).

I think if you view them both as "football player hits a woman" you lose the context and hence the impact of what actually occurred. Context is important.
Reply/Quote
Come on people this is much worse the video literally opens to Simmosn repeatedly hitting this chick in the head on the ground with a closed fist.

https://youtu.be/RG4KN3ejSsg

Mixon reacts very poorly to being slapped.

https://youtu.be/G5wIj7LbslY
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The Mixon one looks worse. I do think quality of the footage plays in somewhat. Simmons punches didn't have the force of Mixon's.

As I've said, both are despicable acts.

I wonder why Mixon stopped to talk to that girl and guy?
Reply/Quote
They were both bad. Like I said, if I have to rank them, Simmons' is worse. The girl was on the ground and she was double-teamed, and then he punches her repeatedly. He wasn't in any sort of danger. Neither was Joe, but she did strike him first.

Reply/Quote
Well, violence is everywhere in our culture... so by that premise, it's not considered "too" bad if they (victims) survive with no "serious" injuries..... nothing aspirin and a bandage wont mend. Since we are also a culture of 2nd chances, they can use their 2nd chance card and be productive members of society, which looks like they did and it's doing wonders for both of them. This has a happy ending all around for everyone. I did hear T. Hill was the talk yesterday. Very cunning of the NFL or media or whoever had the recordings to release the audio tapes during the most distracting time of the NFL with the draft. Very sneaky and calculated indeed.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: People say Simmons was protecting his sister, or something like that. With Mixon, it appeared to be a malicious thing whereas with Simmons protecting your sister is a noble thing.

He wasn’t protecting his sister. He pulled the two girls apart, and then proceeded to pummel the other girl while she was on the ground with about half a dozen punches.

The only reason you could say Mixon’s was worse was because he did so much damage with the one punch he threw.

There was definitely bias last night though. The guys in ESPN were trying their best to excuse the Simmons incident, but the tape doesn’t lie.

Absolutely NO ONE gave Mixon that much support.

Reply/Quote
What do you say to a woman with two black eyes...

oh nevermind... Whatever

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:53 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Mixon one looks worse. I do think quality of the footage plays in somewhat. Simmons punches didn't have the force of Mixon's.

As I've said, both are despicable acts.

I wonder why Mixon stopped to talk to that girl and guy?

Didn't they hurl some slurs his way?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:16 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Winning cures it all.

You are always straight to the point MBF, we start winning some Playoff games and a Superbowl or two and we won't get this bias against us anymore. Mixon made a terrible stupid mistake and it seems has turned his life around and is now a great man. With Simmons it is yet to be seen and as of now i don't know it the Titans made a good pick or not as when you use a first round pick on a player you want to see them playing in their first year...

Both are amazing talents though and that makes teams overlook some things to be honest.

Just happy Mixon has only one incident and one stupid punch and the woman and Mixon are over it.

Bottom line, just don't hit women.

Simmons repeatedly hit that gal, not cool at all and should give any team pause no matter the talent.
Reply/Quote