Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jeremy Hill to the Patriots.
They got a good deal too 1.3 million with hardly any guarantee...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 12:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Like they say, backup QB is always the most popular player on the team.

It's funny, Hill accounted for 40 yards and a TD in the 4th quarter, and without him there is no come back. But Mac is somehow the hero and Hill is the goat.

Whatevs.

I think I blocked the play in my memory, but when he fumbled, wasn't it on a decent clock killing up the gut run? 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 10:50 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: I think I blocked the play in my memory, but when he fumbled, wasn't it on a decent clock killing up the gut run? 

Yes. All he had to do was go down, but he was fighting multiple Steelers for meaningless yards after being wrapped up.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 11:44 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Yes. All he had to do was go down, but he was fighting multiple Steelers for meaningless yards after being wrapped up.

Then he sacrificed holding onto the ball for lacking any meaningful yards the next couple years. There's a balance, Hill! YOu're an RB, you've gotta get up hill.

He was top 3 worst in the league in number of yards before crossing the line of scrimmage (or time to take before crossing LOS, I forget which?) - he could have been worst actually IIRC.

I hope the new coaching staff starts using Gio and Mixon better, and in the backfield at the same time. I'd love for us to say **** you we're going to run and you can't do anything about it, and then throw one up top to AJ every now and then.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 12:35 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Then he sacrificed holding onto the ball for lacking any meaningful yards the next couple years. There's a balance, Hill! YOu're an RB, you've gotta get up hill.

He was top 3 worst in the league in number of yards before crossing the line of scrimmage (or time to take before crossing LOS, I forget which?) - he could have been worst actually IIRC.

I hope the new coaching staff starts using Gio and Mixon better, and in the backfield at the same time. I'd love for us to say **** you we're going to run and you can't do anything about it, and then throw one up top to AJ every now and then.

I am in 100% agreeance in going to a run first offense. I think that with all of these passing attacks that the Bengals need to limit their passing game and controlling the clock.

The passing game has shown two years straight to be hot garbage on 3rd down and sustaining drives. Rushing the ball to get short yardage 3rd downs and burn clock to let the defense rest would keep the opposing team's offense off the field and let Andy pick his spots.

Not only that, but with teams going to a lot of nickel and dime personnel packages to combat pass heavy offenses I wonder if by going big O Line and rushing more that the Bengals offense would be at an advantage personnel wise.

Strangely, this type of offense is what Marv tried to run when Carson was here.... when he should have aired it out more. With Andy and a strong defense, I actually like the idea of a clock control, slug it out in the trenches offense. He's a game manager, not a gun slinger. Andy's proven to not be a QB who will beat you airing it out. Relying on Mixon and Gio would be a good move, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 02:48 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I am in 100% agreeance in going to a run first offense. I think that with all of these passing attacks that the Bengals need to limit their passing game and controlling the clock.

The passing game has shown two years straight to be hot garbage on 3rd down and sustaining drives. Rushing the ball to get short yardage 3rd downs and burn clock to let the defense rest would keep the opposing team's offense off the field and let Andy pick his spots.

Not only that, but with teams going to a lot of nickel and dime personnel packages to combat pass heavy offenses I wonder if by going big O Line and rushing more that the Bengals offense would be at an advantage personnel wise.

Strangely, this type of offense is what Marv tried to run when Carson was here.... when he should have aired it out more. With Andy and a strong defense, I actually like the idea of a clock control, slug it out in the trenches offense. He's a game manager, not a gun slinger. Andy's proven to not be a QB who will beat you airing it out. Relying on Mixon and Gio would be a good move, IMO.

I agree to this, we seem to put our RBs in bad scenarios (3rd and long, or 2nd and 10). If we can run even though the defense knows we're going to run, we will win.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 05:51 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: If we can run even though the defense knows we're going to run, we will win.

One of the Bengals games I have enjoyed the most was the game a few years ago where we played in SD a few weeks before we lost to them in the playoffs. We ran the ball down their throats....and they simply couldn't stop us. To get to the point where we could do that consistently would be amazing.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 08:17 PM)Beaker Wrote: One of the Bengals games I have enjoyed the most was the game a few years ago where we played in SD a few weeks before we lost to them in the playoffs. We ran the ball down their throats....and they simply couldn't stop us. To get to the point where we could do that consistently would be amazing.

BJGE was doing it again in the playoffs, then we left him on the bench.  I'll never understand that.  After the first turnover, we should have went to pounding the rock with him to settle things down a bit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: BJGE was doing it again in the playoffs, then we left him on the bench.  I'll never understand that.  After the first turnover, we should have went to pounding the rock with him to settle things down a bit.

I remember that too. We definitely abandon the run early, or even when it's doing well and it makes no sense. The "you get it this quarter, now I get this quarter!" type thing is messed up. They get in a groove, like in basketball, you sub people in and out if someone needs a breather or someone is cold. If the backup is hot you better keep him in.

The you get it this drive, I get it this drive comes from someone who doesn't know how to handle having 2 talented players playing the same position.

The thing I see with the Patriots is they morph how they play based on the gameplan, and the Bengals play the same brand every week (predictable). The former can win superbowls. If we just took the talent we have and played to their strengths instead of how the coaches wanted us to play, maybe we'd get back in the playoffs.

I haven't played pro or college sports, but if something is working in my amateur play or even video games, I keep doing it until you show me you can stop it. That is a natural tendency, to want to win, why does Marvin think differently?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:11 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: BJGE was doing it again in the playoffs, then we left him on the bench.  I'll never understand that.  After the first turnover, we should have went to pounding the rock with him to settle things down a bit.

I don’t get that crap Marvin pulls!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 06:46 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I remember that too. We definitely abandon the run early, or even when it's doing well and it makes no sense. The "you get it this quarter, now I get this quarter!" type thing is messed up. They get in a groove, like in basketball, you sub people in and out if someone needs a breather or someone is cold. If the backup is hot you better keep him in.

The you get it this drive, I get it this drive comes from someone who doesn't know how to handle having 2 talented players playing the same position.

The thing I see with the Patriots is they morph how they play based on the gameplan, and the Bengals play the same brand every week (predictable). The former can win superbowls. If we just took the talent we have and played to their strengths instead of how the coaches wanted us to play, maybe we'd get back in the playoffs.

I haven't played pro or college sports, but if something is working in my amateur play or even video games, I keep doing it until you show me you can stop it. That is a natural tendency, to want to win, why does Marvin think differently?

I don't know man.  It seems as though he's hell bent on making things work according to his plan instead of adapting to the ebb and flow.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: BJGE was doing it again in the playoffs, then we left him on the bench.  I'll never understand that.  After the first turnover, we should have went to pounding the rock with him to settle things down a bit.

(03-23-2018, 06:46 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I remember that too. We definitely abandon the run early, or even when it's doing well and it makes no sense. 

(03-23-2018, 06:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don’t get that crap Marvin pulls!

But, but, but, that is "playing not to lose".  That is being "too conservative".  That is what makes Marvin the worst coach oin the league.

No good team would run the ball with the lead in the second half.  
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But, but, but, that is "playing not to lose".  That is being "too conservative".  That is what makes Marvin the worst coach oin the league.

WTH you talkin about Fred? I was referring to benching a player after a fumble. Like Ross.

Reply/Quote
What's this got to do with the Bengals?
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 07:02 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: What's this got to do with the Bengals?

Really?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 07:02 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: What's this got to do with the Bengals?

I questioned your post at first then it hit me. He's not a Bengal anymore so good riddance. I agree. Jeremy Hill is like a cinder block tied to your ankle as you try to swim the Hudson river! 

Reply/Quote
The Patriots are stacking up on former Bengals ...Hill,Flowers,Burkhead...
and in the past ..Dillion and Johnson ....makes you wonder what Bill could do with our whole roster as coach.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I hate him i hate him i hate him
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But, but, but, that is "playing not to lose".  That is being "too conservative".  That is what makes Marvin the worst coach oin the league.

There are exceptions to every rule.  That opponent, in particular, was susceptible to the run game.  Oddly enough, BJGE throughout his career ran well against them (you know this, you've seen the numbers and argued against them as well).  So, he played to lose yet again by not taking advantage of a strength of his team vs the weakness of another.  When the game was still within reach, Green-Ellis was riding the pine.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 12:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: There are exceptions to every rule.  That opponent, in particular, was susceptible to the run game.  Oddly enough, BJGE throughout his career ran well against them (you know this, you've seen the numbers and argued against them as well).  So, he played to lose yet again by not taking advantage of a strength of his team vs the weakness of another.  When the game was still within reach, Green-Ellis was riding the pine.

Ironically the single biggest complaint fans had with Marvin that entire season was the fact that he was giving carries to Benny instead of Gio.  In fact the hater brigade had been calling for BJGE to be released.  No one went into that playoff game calling for him to carry the load.  In fact it was the exact opposite.  They wanted Gio to get more touches.

Benny opened the game with 2 eight yard runs.  After that he averaged 4.3 on 6 carries.  It is not like he was gashing them repeatedly.

In the Bengals only TD drive of the first half Bernard had 5 carries for 28 yards and had 1 reception for 11 yards while BJGE had 7 yards on 2 carries.  If Marvin had kept feeding Benny after that drive then you would have been whining about him taking out Bernard when he had the hot hand.
Reply/Quote