Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jeremy Hill to the Patriots.
(03-26-2018, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ironically the single biggest complaint fans had with Marvin that entire season was the fact that he was giving carries to Benny instead of Gio.  In fact the hater brigade had been calling for BJGE to be released.  No one went into that playoff game calling for him to carry the load.  In fact it was the exact opposite.  They wanted Gio to get more touches.

Benny opened the game with 2 eight yard runs.  After that he averaged 4.3 on 6 carries.  It is not like he was gashing them repeatedly.

In the Bengals only TD drive of the first half Bernard had 5 carries for 28 yards and had 1 reception for 11 yards while BJGE had 7 yards on 2 carries.  If Marvin had kept feeding Benny after that drive then you would have been whining about him taking out Bernard when he had the hot hand.

Rock On

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 01:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: Rock On

Moe Szyslak:
The only thing I know about strategy is that everything the manager does is crap. Unless it works, in which case he's a button pusher.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 01:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Moe Szyslak:
The only thing I know about strategy is that everything the manager does is crap. Unless it works, in which case he's a button pusher.

Good Post

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 01:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Moe Szyslak:

I'm not going to post the stats for the umpteenth time.....but in the case of BJGE vs the SD Chargers in his career, the odds were in Benny's favor.  Peep them for yourself.  Some people like to act like there aren't outliers, variables, and exceptions to general rules in this great big ol world in order to stoke up a good ol crapfest.  I ain't takin' the bait. Wink

Reply/Quote
Glad to see any former Bengals go to a competent team. Will def watch the Pats backfield this year.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 08:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm not going to post the stats for the umpteenth time.....but in the case of BJGE vs the SD Chargers in his career, the odds were in Benny's favor.  Peep them for yourself.  Some people like to act like there aren't outliers, variables, and exceptions to general rules in this great big ol world in order to stoke up a good ol crapfest.  I ain't takin' the bait. Wink

The reason you are not posting them is because he averaged 61 yards and 4.2 yards per carry in 5 games against the Chargers.

Anyone claiming that BEFORE that game they were calling for Benny to get all the carries instead of Gio is just lying.  Everyone had been ripping Marvin all year for not giving Gio enough touches and continuing to give Green-Ellis carries.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 11:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The reason you are not posting them is because he averaged 61 yards and 4.2 yards per carry in 5 games against the Chargers.

Anyone claiming that BEFORE that game they were calling for Benny to get all the carries instead of Gio is just lying.  Everyone had been ripping Marvin all year for not giving Gio enough touches and continuing to give Green-Ellis carries.

No I'm not.  I posted his stats numerous times about Benny.  IIRC, it was first mentioned after the late season win in SD where he had like 92 yards rushing for around 5 per.  The 61 yards and 4.2 counts the first game against them when he was in NE and had yet to establish himself in their offense.  He had a small sample size and it was somewhere south of 3 ypc and around 30 yards, but you surely remembered that. Remember, we're talking about ONE opponent, and not the rest of the schedule. Either way, 4.2 ypc and a cloud of dust is nothing to sneeze at when you need to control the clock.

Reply/Quote
Strange how Hill became the guy everyone will remember for NOT just falling down and NOT fighting for the extra yardage.. 
Suppose instead he had broken free and ran for a TD with no fumble and went on to win the super bowl? I kind of have my doubts anyone would be sitting there saying, "Dammit! Why couldn't he just fall down"
Poor guy just can't win .. Even if he goes to NE and never fumbles, never just falls down and gets the extra yards he'll still be remembered for that one fateful fumble...  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 12:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: Strange how Hill became the guy everyone will remember for NOT just falling down and NOT fighting for the extra yardage.. 
Suppose instead he had broken free and ran for a TD with no fumble and went on to win the super bowl? I kind of have my doubts anyone would be sitting there saying, "Dammit! Why couldn't he just fall down"
Poor guy just can't win .. Even if he goes to NE and never fumbles, never just falls down and gets the extra yards he'll still be remembered for that one fateful fumble...  

Will Jeremy Hill really be remembered for that fateful fumble?  I don't think most NFL fans really look into how and why the Bengals lost a playoff game to the Steelers, they just look at the final score and say "Yeah, that's what I expected." At least the Steelers and Browns fans I know didn't point out Hill in that situation so much as:
- Bengals blow it, as usual
- Burfict and Jones are thugs
- Marvin Lewis can't win when it counts
- Andy Dalton sucks (yes, people in my experience are more likely to blame a QB who didn't even play in that game than Hill)
etc.

I maintain that the reason Hill is such a dog in this town is because we went into 2015 declaring that he'd be the main reason we won and we ended 2015 declaring that he was the main reason we lost.  Peaks 'n' valleys.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 10:01 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Glad to see any former Bengals go to a competent team. Will def watch the Pats backfield this year.

I've never rooted for any former Bengal player to have success with any other team.  I don't suppose you feel the same way about Russell Bodine do ya? Gee, I sure hope he goes on to have the greatest post Bengal career ever and leads the league as the greatest Center ever..?
What you're supposed to say is you hope he falls down, breaks his neck, pokes his eye out and gets pneumonia after leaving . lol 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 12:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Will Jeremy Hill really be remembered for that fateful fumble?  I don't think most NFL fans really look into how and why the Bengals lost a playoff game to the Steelers, they just look at the final score and say "Yeah, that's what I expected."  At least the Steelers and Browns fans I know didn't point out Hill in that situation so much as:
- Bengals blow it, as usual
- Burfict and Jones are thugs
- Marvin Lewis can't win when it counts
- Andy Dalton sucks (yes, people in my experience are more likely to blame a QB who didn't even play in that game than Hill)
 etc.

I maintain that the reason Hill is such a dog in this town is because we went into 2015 declaring that he'd be the main reason we won and we ended 2015 declaring that he was the main reason we lost.  Peaks 'n' valleys.
Yeah well..everyone wants to be the hometown hero, huh? You just never hear players say, "I hope that I get blamed for all our failures over one stinking, lousy play!" 
People make all kinds of statements that later come back to haunt them especially now in the age of gotcha-ism twitterism journalism . 

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 12:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: I've never rooted for any former Bengal player to have success with any other team.  I don't suppose you feel the same way about Russell Bodine do ya? Gee, I sure hope he goes on to have the greatest post Bengal career ever and leads the league as the greatest Center ever..?
What you're supposed to say is you hope he falls down, breaks his neck, pokes his eye out and gets pneumonia after leaving . lol 

Hah.

Reply/Quote