Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jeremy Hill wants to bring another title to Ohio
Coley Harvey

CINCINNATI -- Like many in Southwest Ohio, Jeremy Hill watched the scenes that played out on the opposite end of the state last month with a little envy.

Days after the Cleveland Cavaliers won their city's first professional sports championship in more than 50 years, Hill watched in awe as clips of the jam-packed parade route in downtown Cleveland played out on his television screen. The estimated 1.3 million people who filled the streets were punch-drunk with a euphoria that only a once long-suffering sports fan could understand.

Hill's hope is that next February he can help the people in his current city experience similar revelry.

"With Cincinnati," the Bengals running back said to ESPN earlier this month, "that's something that we definitely need for our city."

Full Article

Also, a snippet from an article about AJ Green:

"I'm being more vocal, teaching guys," Green said. "Even between [practice] routes, I pull them to the side and tell them what we're looking for. What we need to do on this route. What's Urb [receivers coach James Urban] looking for? What's Andy [Dalton] looking for on this route, and what you've got to do? That's what I'm trying to do. Don't be that crazy, crazy, trying to change so much that I'm out of my comfort level, but being comfortable being uncomfortable is what I'm trying to be."
Reply/Quote
Hill needs to worry about things like carrying the ball with two hands in traffic, or performing better than Trent Richardson, before he starts worrying about titles.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 01:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hill needs to worry about things like carrying the ball with two hands in traffic, or performing better than Trent Richardson, before he starts worrying about titles.

He definitely needs to improve ball security. If he can do that and be quicker/more decisive when hitting the line this year, I think he can have a pretty good year. Of course, the line needs to step up it's play in the run game as well.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 01:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He definitely needs to improve ball security. If he can do that and be quicker/more decisive when hitting the line this year, I think he can have a pretty good year. Of course, the line needs to step up it's play in the run game as well.

When Gio goes for 4.7 YPC behind the same line, I am hesitant to blame it on them. Not saying they were lights out last year, but I don't think you can blame a 3.6 YPC on them.

Same situation as McCarron getting sacked 15 times in just under 5 games behind the same OL that Dalton got sacked 20 times in just over 12 games.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 01:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: When Gio goes for 4.7 YPC behind the same line, I am hesitant to blame it on them. Not saying they were lights out last year, but I don't think you can blame a 3.6 YPC on them.

Same situation as McCarron getting sacked 15 times in just under 5 games behind the same OL that Dalton got sacked 20 times in just over 12 games.

Yeah, I never said it was all the O-line's fault. But, to put no blame on them is to ignore the eye test.

The same Gio that ran for 4.7 last year, only ran for 4 the year before, when Jeremy was tearing it up. How much is the RB and how much is the O-line?

I think it's been a combination. There are stretches where I see our RB's trying to find holes and there aren't any there. There are other times where both Gio and Jeremy have been hesitant and indecisive.

The run game - as a whole - needs to be more consistent IMO. 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 02:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I never said it was all the O-line's fault. But, to put no blame on them is to ignore the eye test.

The same Gio that ran for 4.7 last year, only ran for 4 the year before, when Jeremy was tearing it up. How much is the RB and how much is the O-line?

I think it's been a combination. There are stretches where I see our RB's trying to find holes and there aren't any there. There are other times where both Gio and Jeremy have been hesitant and indecisive.

The run game - as a whole - needs to be more consistent IMO. 

Agreed, most specifically, the WR/TE/OL need to be better blockers down the field (read: continuing to block). That will help the huge lack of long runs the Bengals had last year. Seemed like a lot of potential long runs were stopped because the blocker gave up on their block thinking the play was over or something. Need to block until the whistle.

Reply/Quote
Less dancing, more ball security....
Reply/Quote
Bengalsboard bet, does Hill fumble game one of the 2016 season?

I say yes...
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 06:05 PM)GodFather Wrote: Bengalsboard bet, does Hill fumble game one of the 2016 season?

I say yes...

Stupid statement. I would take the bet, I would be willing to put my $500 to your $200.

Jeremy Hill fumbled a total of 3 times in the regular season. Him being a "fumbling machine" is an extreme exaggeration.

Him fumbling at a bad time though, people assume that he always fumbles. Which is obviously false, with only 3 fumbles last year. in a 16 game season, that is averaging 1 fumble every 5.3333 games. So if you were to make that bet buddy, that would be not only a bad bet, but a HORRIBLE bet.

Anyways, the article is very stupid as well. I would hope every player on that roster wants to bring a championship. And that should not be news.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 06:30 PM)rob Wrote: Jeremy Hill fumbled a total of 3 times in the regular season. Him being a "fumbling machine" is an extreme exaggeration.

Him fumbling at a bad time though, people assume that he always fumbles. Which is obviously false, with only 3 fumbles last year. in a 16 game season, that is averaging 1 fumble every 5.3333 games. So if you were to make that bet buddy, that would be not only a bad bet, but a HORRIBLE bet.

Anyways, the article is very stupid as well. I would hope every player on that roster wants to bring a championship. And that should not be news.

Fumbled 4 times in 17 games, but more important than that is the fact he fumbled 4 times in 235 carries. Also important? He lost all four of them.

People care less if you put up great numbers.

Adrian Peterson lost 4 fumbles in 17 games last year, too... but he put up 1,485 rushing yards at 4.5 a carry and it took him 350 carries. That's the difference. If you're getting 3.6 YPC, you are allowed 0 fumbles because your play is already poor enough.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 07:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fumbled 4 times in 17 games, but more important than that is the fact he fumbled 4 times in 235 carries. Also important? He lost all four of them.

People care less if you put up great numbers.

Adrian Peterson lost 4 fumbles in 17 games last year, too... but he put up 1,485 rushing yards at 4.5 a carry and it took him 350 carries. That's the difference. If you're getting 3.6 YPC, you are allowed 0 fumbles because your play is already poor enough.

It seems to me you are unable to read.

I never once said his fumbling is justified. I said to bet that he would fumble in the first game would be a terrible bet.

I would figure after you quote something, you would re-read it....
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 08:21 PM)rob Wrote: It seems to me you are unable to read.

I never once said his fumbling is justified. I said to bet that he would fumble in the first game would be a terrible bet.

I would figure after you quote something, you would re-read it....

Nah, I read it and then commented on the 3 in 16 games with 4 in 17 games.... which means your 1 in 5.3333 turns into 1 in 4.25, which while still good odds for you, isn't nearly as good.

The rest was on you saying him being a fumbling machine was an extreme exaggeration. My post was saying the exaggeration is made for the reasons I then went on to list. The perception is made because he lost all his fumbles last year.

Not to mention that the 1 in 5.3333 and the 1 in 4.25 is dependent upon all his starts being equal, but they're not. The more important thing to measure is the fact that in 235 carries, he had 4 fumbles, or 1 fumble every 58.75 carries last year.

So the real thing you should be asking yourself is how many carries do you think Hill will get in Week 1? Because if the answer is 30, then it'd be closer to a 1 in 1.958 chance he will fumble. If you think he'll only get 10, then it's a 1 in 5.875 chance, if you believe last year was the rate he'll continue to fumble at.

- - - - - - - -
I would figure after you wrote a post, you'd look at it and say "Should I be a dick right out of the gates?" realize the answer is no, then rewrite your post on the message board you are new to.

Reply/Quote
Credit to 'Holic for sharing this piece.  It shows much to the character of Hill, who is obviously feeling some duress for the fumble in the playoff loss.  I say much to his character because he is ready to turn the page, and get back to work.  His goal?  Helping this team to win a championship.

Some competitors might let a catastrophic error weigh on them differently, get withdrawn, shy away from comment.  Not J. Hill, no sir!  He's ready to get back in there, and show the NFL world that he is much better than his last mistake.  Credit to Jeremy Hill.

On another note, really like the excerpt from the AJ Green article.  Good to see star players being so selfless, as to leave their comfort zone, and speak outwardly to benefit the youth of the team.  That is leadership.  That is what championship teams are made of.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jeremy Hill has shown streaks of unprofessionalism and his game losing fumble was the icing on the cake.

If you don't know to not be mini beast mode and put both hands on the damn ball in that situation, you not only didn't get it at that point. You probably never will get it.

We need to move on from this guy. He's a train wreck.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 10:35 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Jeremy Hill has shown streaks of unprofessionalism and his game losing fumble was the icing on the cake.

If you don't know to not be mini beast mode and put both hands on the damn ball in that situation, you not only didn't get it at that point. You probably never will get it.

We need to move on from this guy. He's a train wreck.

Rolleyes

He's only been in the league for two seasons.  He's going to make mistakes, but that's football and he's still getting accommodated to the NFL.  I think a big thing is that he needs to realize that he doesn't need to make a big play every carry and sometimes just securing the ball and going down is ok.

Look, I was as devastated as anybody.  I actually had tears coming down my face in the stadium, but it happens and Hill will grow from it and lead us big places.

I love that he referred to Cincinnati as "our city" and seems more about doing it for the fans than anyone (I'm sure his teammates are also neck-and-neck, if not ahead) because it's like he's saying he's one of us and knows that he needs to lead us to a title.  

I really, really, REALLY like that  Rock On

And what are you talking about with unprofessionalism?  The dude's quality.

I'm excited to have him carry us places this season.
Reply/Quote
If anyone had shed a tear about our playoff loss, then they take NFL football WAY too seriously.

Man up.
Reply/Quote
I sure hope Hill can get over whatever was ailing him last year. Hopefully he's matured and learned from his mistakes, we'll soon see.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 10:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Rolleyes

He's only been in the league for two seasons.  He's going to make mistakes, but that's football and he's still getting accommodated to the NFL.  I think a big thing is that he needs to realize that he doesn't need to make a big play every carry and sometimes just securing the ball and going down is ok.

Look, I was as devastated as anybody.  I actually had tears coming down my face in the stadium, but it happens and Hill will grow from it and lead us big places.

I love that he referred to Cincinnati as "our city" and seems more about doing it for the fans than anyone (I'm sure his teammates are also neck-and-neck, if not ahead) because it's like he's saying he's one of us and knows that he needs to lead us to a title.  

The Fumble was no mistake. It was a cataclysmic event. All the ghosts were about to be vanquished - the Steelers, playoff losses - and he fumbled the damn ball. When he carries I will anticipate a game changing fumble every time. My least favorite Bengal of all time and I have been a fan since 1968.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 10:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Rolleyes

The Fumble was no mistake. It was a cataclysmic event. All the ghosts were about to be vanquished - the Steelers, playoff losses - and he fumbled the damn ball. When he carries I will anticipate a game changing fumble every time. My least favorite Bengal of all time and I have been a fan since 1968.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 12:21 AM)tlotharw Wrote: The Fumble was no mistake. It was a cataclysmic event. All the ghosts were about to be vanquished - the Steelers, playoff losses - and he fumbled the damn ball. When he carries I will anticipate a game changing fumble every time. My least favorite Bengal of all time and I have been a fan since 1968.

Unfair to say - He is a young kid and has unlimited potential. Do you remember his rookie year? I bet at the end of that season he was not your "least favorite Bengal." He is our #1 back like it or not. When he runs for 1,400 plus this year dont go back on your word
Reply/Quote