Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jerome Simpson
I coach my son's football team, and Jerome Simpson happens to have coached one of the teams in our league the last few seasons. We're friendly in a "say hey to each other at the grocery store" kind of way, but we're not friends by any means. Anyway, he knows I'm a big Bengals fan and is always gracious to small talk with me or the kids. Really nice guy. Today, we scrimmaged his team and afterwards I asked him what he thinks about Mike Brown. His reply: "Oh he's a cool dude. Paid me a lot of money! I like Mr. Brown!" I just thought that would be an interesting perspective that y'all would like to hear from someone who spent a few years at PBS every day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That’s cool! How is his coaching? Are his teams at a big advantage with their coach having NFL experience?
Reply/Quote
I’d say the same thing if a guy gave me millions to ride tge pine for a few years
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 03:24 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: That’s cool! How is his coaching? Are his teams at a big advantage with their coach having NFL experience?

Back in the day, my brother played on a team with the son of a then Washington Redskins offensive lineman who helped coach the team.  This guy brought training equipment from the Redskins, including old blocking sleds.  He also helped implement certain plays from the pro playbook, like double reverses.  These kids were 8-11 years old.  I don't know if he made an impact coaching but they went undefeated for 3 straight years.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 02:55 PM)wcu Wrote: I coach my son's football team, and Jerome Simpson happens to have coached one of the teams in our league the last few seasons. We're friendly in a "say hey to each other at the grocery store" kind of way, but we're not friends by any means. Anyway, he knows I'm a big Bengals fan and is always gracious to small talk with me or the kids. Really nice guy. Today, we scrimmaged his team and afterwards I asked him what he thinks about Mike Brown. His reply: "Oh he's a cool dude. Paid me a lot of money! I like Mr. Brown!"  I just thought that would be an interesting perspective that y'all would like to hear from someone who spent a few years at PBS every day.

I'll bet his opinion differs from a guy like CP9, or Corey Dillon or Carl Pickens, guys like that who only cared about winning. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
A signed photo of “the flip” would be a pretty cool piece of memorabilia…

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 05:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A signed photo of “the flip” would be a pretty cool piece of memorabilia…

One of the coolest sports clips you will ever see. So glad I got to see it live. As cool as it gets.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 03:24 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: That’s cool! How is his coaching? Are his teams at a big advantage with their coach having NFL experience?

Honestly, they're not very well coached.  They're generally unorganized and I don't care for the way they interact with their kids.  You'd have no idea that their head coach was an NFL player.  
Reply/Quote
You should ask him for some weed….
Reply/Quote
See if he can still score some chronic

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Star of one of the best Bengals gifs of all time.
Reply/Quote
Did you ask to compare hand size?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Just want to point out that Simpson was not as bad of a draft pick as many Bengal fans claims. Just look at the WRs other teams took in the first two rounds that year. Simpson had more career receptions (150) than 2 of the 5 WRs drafted before him and 5 of the 9 other WRs taken in the second round with him. He was actually a decent pick from that WR class.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 11:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just want to point out that Simpson was not as bad of a draft pick as many Bengal fans claims. Just look at the WRs other teams took in the first two rounds that year. Simpson had more career receptions (150) than 2 of the 5 WRs drafted before him and 5 of the 9 other WRs taken in the second round with him. He was actually a decent pick from that WR class.

Just because he was slightly better than some of the wrs drafted around him doesn’t mean he wasn’t a bad pick. He was.

We’re the ones he had more receptions than hurt or just a bust as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 01:26 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Just because he was slightly better than some of the wrs drafted around him doesn’t mean he wasn’t a bad pick.  He was.  

So instead of using facts and stats to compare him to other picks you just use the old "because I say so" logic.

Hard to argue with that.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So instead of using facts and stats to compare him to other picks you just use the old "because I say so" logic.

Hard to argue with that.

You'd have a point if there were only WRs in the 2008 NFL Draft, but the facts are there were players available from every position.

We had Chad, TJ, and Henry as our WRs

Conversely we had just lost Justin Smith in FA, the best DE on the board when we drafted Henry.....Calais Campbell

We had just lost Rudi Johnson in FA, the next RB taken off the board after Simpson...Ray Rice
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So instead of using facts and stats to compare him to other picks you just use the old "because I say so" logic.

Hard to argue with that.

Good. Just admit you were wrong and move along. It doesn’t matter if the other wrs around his draft spot were equally bad . He didn’t produce like a second round pick should.

And you didn’t answer the question I asked about the other players around his spot. If he had more catches than some of those other players because they got hurt and were out of the league then his total receptions wouldn’t be relevant compared to them would they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 11:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just want to point out that Simpson was not as bad of a draft pick as many Bengal fans claims.  Just look at the WRs other teams took in the first two rounds that year.  Simpson had more career receptions (150) than 2 of the 5 WRs drafted before him and 5 of the 9 other WRs taken in the second round with him.  He was actually a decent pick from that WR class.

Career receptions are a terrible indication of if he was a good pick. What did he do for the Bengals, the team that actually picked him? He was a 2nd round pick who got 71 receptions for the Bengals. That's bad. Nobody is going to celebrate a draft pick based off what he did for another team. Also, just because it wasn't quite as terrible of a pick as some other picks doesn't make it not-terrible.

They picked him 3 picks before DeSean Jackson and he was a healthy scratch for most of his first 3 years. Can't polish that turd.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 07:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Career receptions are a terrible indication of if he was a good pick. What did he do for the Bengals, the team that actually picked him? He was a 2nd round pick who got 71 receptions for the Bengals. That's bad. Nobody is going to celebrate a draft pick based off what he did for another team. Also, just because it wasn't quite as terrible of a pick as some other picks doesn't make it not-terrible.

They picked him 3 picks before DeSean Jackson and he was a healthy scratch for most of his first 3 years. Can't polish that turd.

Man, there was a forgotten week or two at the end of 2010 when Chad and TO were out and Palmer lit up the Chargers with Simpson and Caldwell(?) and we were salivating at the upcoming "Palmer and the young WR era."  Jerome Simpson...the one week wonder. 
Reply/Quote
Simpson was a good come up story imo. Ended up a starter his last few years and gave us a memorable play at PBS.

Also the narrative that players hate playing for the Bengals has always been weird to me. Bengals are known to give out player friendly contracts but we are also known to TRY and keep guys the duration of that contract. Even when it’s clearly hurting us. Mike may not know how to build a football team(That’s more a coaches job anyway) but he does give out money when it’s earned and he usually won’t cut you even if your play declined in the last few years of your contract.
-Housh
Reply/Quote