Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesse Bates III welcome to the team!
I like that we picked a guy with Bates skillset. I'm sure the coaches will have him and everyone working to improve their weak areas, but it seems like we drafted this guy to cover and help us cut down on some of the big plays we're prone to giving up downfield.
Reply/Quote
Definitely the pick I’m most excited about so far. Defense hasn’t been the same since Reggie Nelson left.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 09:56 PM)phil413 Wrote: Very happy with having a true CF.  Did these Bengal really just use high picks on a C and S?

Wink yes they did, also did you know they traded for a starting left tackle, lol wtf is going on here Wink IDK but I'm loving this.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
See a lot of over-pursuit & missed tackles in the A&M game.

Vs Florida State his probably his best tape out of the 3, he wraps up well in that one and has a couple nice plays on the ball.

Definitely gonna take some time to develop, don't see him as a day 1 starter just based on those 3 vids.

Returned a punt to the house in one of them though, so that's something to consider.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:05 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Does anyone know the backstory as to why Jaylon Smith and Jessie Bates are good friends? They didn't go to the same college, did they play together in HS?

Both are from Fort Wayne, Indiana.  Different high schools Smith went to a Cathlic school, Bates to public.  But it's possible they are from the same neighborhood or just knew each other from years of competition

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:33 AM)treee Wrote: See a lot of over-pursuit & missed tackles in the A&M game.

Vs Florida State his probably his best tape out of the 3, he wraps up well in that one and has a couple nice plays on the ball.

Definitely gonna take some time to develop, don't see him as a day 1 starter just based on those 3 vids.

Returned a punt to the house in one of them though, so that's something to consider.

Pretty good assessment from what I seen. Will need some coaching.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 10:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Pretty good assessment from what I seen. Will need some coaching.

I get the feeling that Austin was serious about going to some 3 Safety Nickel packages.  If that is the case, Bates fits the role of the "Over the top", Centerfielder type, allowing someone like Iloka or Fejederlam to play up in the box for run support.  Bates has Range, Wheels, and Ball skills, has shown to be at least a willing tackler.  Though, in the NFL, I wouldn't advise him sticking his nose up in the box too often..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I get the feeling that Austin was serious about going to some 3 Safety Nickel packages.  If that is the case, Bates fits the role of the "Over the top", Centerfielder type, allowing someone like Iloka or Fejederlam to play up in the box for run support.  Bates has Range, Wheels, and Ball skills, has shown to be at least a willing tackler.  Though, in the NFL, I wouldn't advise him sticking his nose up in the box too often..

Sounds exciting to see what he can do and how he gets coached up. That’s another positive thing to remember, our coaching changes are definitely a step up from last year. All great things happening in Bengletown!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 10:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Pretty good assessment from what I seen. Will need some coaching.

I have to agree. Will need to be well coached to have an impact. Hope this wasn't a stretch for the second round. Here is what scouts have said about his weaknesses:

Weaknesses
  • Plays with way too much finesse in run defense and when he’s up to make a tackle. Has poor tackling technique and is an ankle diver.
  • Because of the above, he misses a lot of tackles which leads to extra yards by the offense and can be especially damaging if he is a step late in deep coverage.
  • Long lean frame could stand to gain a few lbs.
Current Bengals already miss a lot of tackles. Will like to see if Austin can improve the team's tackling techniques.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:41 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: I have to agree. Will need to be well coached to have a impact. Hope this wasn't a stretch for the second round. Here is what scouts have said about his weaknesses:

Weaknesses
  • Plays with way too much finesse in run defense and when he’s up to make a tackle. Has poor tackling technique and is an ankle diver.
  • Because of the above, he misses a lot of tackles which leads to extra yards by the offense and can be especially damaging if he is a step late in deep coverage.
Current Bengals already miss a lot of tackles. Will like to see if Austin can improve the team's tackling techniques.

All coachable weaknesses. I’m sure the coaches will address this.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:41 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: I have to agree. Will need to be well coached to have a impact. Hope this wasn't a stretch for the second round. Here is what scouts have said about his weaknesses:

Weaknesses

Prior to becoming a DC, Austin had a background as a DBs coach.  I really can't see him going after a player in the secondary, without already having a plan on how to use the man to his strengths, and minimize the opportunity for his weaknesses to be exploited.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 09:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eh, maybe not just yet.  I'm pretty sure that I read where Austin wants to go to a 3 Safety Nickel package.  Adding Bates for the over the top role would allow either Iloka or Williams to stay closer to the box for more run support.  This addition plays well for Fedj. as well, as he hits like a LB.

Exactly.  One issue the Bengals have dealt with is the "square peg in round hole" scenario with Williams playing off in coverage as a safety.  He is better at in the box play and struggles in over the top coverage.  I think that, somehow, Dre will lose his spot to Dennard (I'm betting injury..always seems to get hurt) and we will have WJIII and Dennard outside with the three safeties in the middle.  Could be interesting.  It would seem like they are preparing for life without Dennard and there is no way I let him leave.  He is now showing what he can do and is ten times the player of Dre K.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 09:51 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: We need to create more turnovers on the back end.  I hope Bates can accomplish that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he the "Master" of turnovers???

You all knew it was coming....go ahead and laugh.

I will be here all week...try the veal.   Hilarious LMAO Sick Hilarious LMAO
Reply/Quote
My simple analysis on Bates is that he is an excellent guy when the ball is in the air. Reacts quickly, strikes, makes plays. Where he is lacking is strength in tackling and technique. He will not be asked to be the in-the-box guy here at all. He will need to add strength and improve tackling but his ball instincts are outstanding.

Ii had him in a couple SIMs but not until the third round. I tried to do those through the eyes of the Bengals, and I feared that his tackling issues would put him on the bench and be a wasted pick, but as someone else said, this is Reggie Nelson 2.0 and I think Piggy will come to know him as his next nightmare.
Reply/Quote
If a centerfield Free safety has to consistently make tackles in a game, we probably in trouble anyway. Deion Sanders became a superstar despite not being a great tackler.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Plays with way too much finesse in run defense and when he’s up to make a tackle. Has poor tackling technique and is an ankle diver.
Because of the above, he misses a lot of tackles which leads to extra yards by the offense and can be especially damaging if he is a step late in deep coverage.
If you intercept the ball, you don't have to worry about tackling.....
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If you intercept the ball, you don't have to worry about tackling.....

And god do we need more turnovers in the worst way. Without looking I’m guessing we were near the bottom of the league in that department last season.

Reply/Quote
Love it. We needed a better center fielder.

He is not done getting better. Still an ascending player.
Reply/Quote
And, he actually played Center Field.....
Reply/Quote