Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jesse "Gamesaver" Bates
We are not even going to Buffalo without Jesse Bates. The Fumble in the Jungle never happens if Bates doesn't make that incredible touchdown-saving tackle on Huntley a few plays before the Hubbard yard dash.  

Rewatch the play where Jesse made the tackle as Huntley was racing towards the goal line. Bates absolutely balled out to get to the Ravens' QB just in the nick of time.  Bates has played really well the second half of the season. Seems to be around the ball and making big plays in the most critical moments of huge games.  

Maybe should be called BGB (Big Game Bates).  

[video=youtube]http://[/video]
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
He’s not going to be here next year. The Bengals are at the point where they have to lose good players. Dax needs to step up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 03:54 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He’s not going to be here next year. The Bengals are at the point where they have to lose good players. Dax needs to step up.

Meh... the Bengals are at the point where they're playing for a spot in the AFC CG as they chase their first Lombardi. Bates is here right now, a core member of the team, and they need him to (continue to) step up. Dax will hopefully do a decent job on his 10 snaps filling in for Flowers.  
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I think we'll miss him if we can't lock him up.

Dax hasn't shown much yet.

Bates is a big part of our defense. Been clutch in big games.
Reply/Quote
If Bates is smart, he'd take a 2 or 3 year, home town friendly deal, it's still going to be a significant jump from his rookie deal. He's a 25 year old, 5 year vet. Get a couple of rings, show the NFL you're a team leader and then chase your huge contract as a 27, 28 year old FA. Laugh at the Jets for overpaying CJ Uzomah all you want. We all know that he provides a lot more to a team than just blocks and catches and the Jets season reflects that. If they didn't have the turmoil at QB, that's a playoff team that believes in itself. Bates can truly be that guy in a few years, maybe he feels that he's that guy now, I wouldn't blame him.

However, it would also be smart to sign as large of a FA contract somewhere else with a good chance of getting another one in 4 or 5 years. He's actually in a pretty good situation. Get a raise and continue playing with Burrow, Chase, Higgins . . . or get a huge raise and make serious bank on a team that wants to 'weaken' the Bengals.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 04:40 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: If Bates is smart, he'd take a 2 or 3 year, home town friendly deal, it's still going to be a significant jump from his rookie deal. He's a 25 year old, 5 year vet. Get a couple of rings, show the NFL you're a team leader and then chase your huge contract as a 27, 28 year old FA. Laugh at the Jets for overpaying CJ Uzomah all you want. We all know that he provides a lot more to a team than just blocks and catches and the Jets season reflects that. If they didn't have the turmoil at QB, that's a playoff team that believes in itself. Bates can truly be that guy in a few years, maybe he feels that he's that guy now, I wouldn't blame him.

However, it would also be smart to sign as large of a FA contract somewhere else with a good chance of getting another one in 4 or 5 years. He's actually in a pretty good situation. Get a raise and continue playing with Burrow, Chase, Higgins . . . or get a huge raise and make serious bank on a team that wants to 'weaken' the Bengals.

He’s going to take the most money unless it’s really close. It’s what most or all of us would do.

The Jets got better because they have some really good young players.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 04:11 PM)tms Wrote: Meh... the Bengals are at the point where they're playing for a spot in the AFC CG as they chase their first Lombardi. Bates is here right now, a core member of the team, and they need him to (continue to) step up. Dax will hopefully do a decent job on his 10 snaps filling in for Flowers.  

I mean step up next year.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 04:15 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Honestly, I think we'll miss him if we can't lock him up.

You shouldn't really expect much from rookie DBs.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 04:15 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Honestly, I think we'll miss him if we can't lock him up.

This is the truth, people just don’t like to admit it because he’s obviously leaving. Jessie has had a fantastic year and we’re better because of him. He’s going to be a big loss.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 03:37 PM)Science Friction Wrote: We are not even going to Buffalo without Jesse Bates. The Fumble in the Jungle never happens if Bates doesn't make that incredible touchdown-saving tackle on Huntley a few plays before the Hubbard yard dash.  

Rewatch the play where Jesse made the tackle as Huntley was racing towards the goal line. Bates absolutely balled out to get to the Ravens' QB just in the nick of time.  Bates has played really well the second half of the season. Seems to be around the ball and making big plays in the most critical moments of huge games.  

Maybe should be called BGB (Big Game Bates).  

Even if that tackle is softer and Huntley is able to muscle for even 1 foot more he likely scores on that sneak
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 06:35 PM)Housh Wrote: Even if that tackle is softer and Huntley is able to muscle for even 1 foot more he likely scores on that sneak

Very true.  Two feet more, for sure. Bates' hustle and tackle saved us.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 06:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I mean step up next year.

Yeah I get it. But I mean, I'd rather cross that bridge when we get to it. Too much offseason talk imo. We're 3 games away from glory. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 06:35 PM)Housh Wrote: Even if that tackle is softer and Huntley is able to muscle for even 1 foot more he likely scores on that sneak

Even more in impressive when I saw he was being blocked inside the numbers when Huntley took off running. He was able to get off the block and still get over to keep Huntley short. I love every player on this defense hopefully we can do enough on offense to keep this going.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 04:40 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: If Bates is smart, he'd take a 2 or 3 year, home town friendly deal, it's still going to be a significant jump from his rookie deal. He's a 25 year old, 5 year vet. Get a couple of rings, show the NFL you're a team leader and then chase your huge contract as a 27, 28 year old FA. Laugh at the Jets for overpaying CJ Uzomah all you want. We all know that he provides a lot more to a team than just blocks and catches and the Jets season reflects that. If they didn't have the turmoil at QB, that's a playoff team that believes in itself. Bates can truly be that guy in a few years, maybe he feels that he's that guy now, I wouldn't blame him.

So take a 2-3 year deal and win a couple Super Bowls?

I think the Bengals are capable of winning a SB, but it's by far not a sure thing. KC and Buffalo on the road are both tough. Those 3 teams will be good every year. Jax is ascending. It's going to be tough to get back.
Reply/Quote
He also had a huge TFL on Andrews which saved a TD.

Duke and the front office should reconsider not signing Jessie Bates.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 09:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So take a 2-3 year deal and win a couple Super Bowls?

I think the Bengals are capable of winning a SB, but it's by far not a sure thing. KC and Buffalo on the road are both tough. Those 3 teams will be good every year. Jax is ascending. It's going to be tough to get back.

If he takes a 2 to 3 year deal he would become a free agent before turning 30.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Bates started slowly but has certainly played well down the stretch and hopefully his best is still to come.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
"JESSE"

---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
You can edit that, y'know.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 07:13 PM)tms Wrote: Yeah I get it. But I mean, I'd rather cross that bridge when we get to it. Too much offseason talk imo. We're 3 games away from glory. 

2 games now. 
Reply/Quote