Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesse Jackson protesting Krogers
Dont know if many knew this, but the Reverend Jesse Jackson is in town (Cincinnati) today to protest against Krogers closing stores in certain african american communities. One of those stores was here in Walnut Hills, and also in Memphis Tenn. The Reverend last week called for a national Kroger boycott as well.

Krogers is the worlds largest grocery store chain, based in Cincy for those that dont know, which is partly why he is here.

Krogers claims these stores they shut down are not making profit, and in the case of the Walnut Hills store which was open for 34 years, 20 of those years they lost money. Krogers said since 2010 they lost $5 million on that store, and projected to lose $900,000 this year on top of that.

Thoughts?

Well I for one wont boycott Krogers, and no one else should. They are a business, and arent responsible for the good of the community. That is what the government is responsible, which in many of these areas have failed over the last few decades. Plus I am not far off from getting some decent fuel points saved up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/04/10/jesse-jackson-kroger-protest/502688002/

or just google Jesse Jackson Krogers
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
If you like having stores in your neighborhood, you have to buy enough things from those stores to allow them to remain open.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Open your own store and operate it at a loss if you want them there you diva.

I wish they would present the paper trail and shut his mouth.
(04-10-2018, 04:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you like having stores in your neighborhood, you have to buy enough things from those stores to allow them to remain open.

Not defending Jackson but I wanted to say something about this:

When Walmart moved within 15 miles of my hometown we still had two or three groceries stories in the town with a population of maybe 4,000.

Now there are zero within walking distance and even some of the bigger ones near the Walmart have closed or are going to in the near future.

They just could not compete with Walmart's pricing and were driven out of business.  Not saying that is what happened with these locations but I wanted to comment on that aspect of some stores.

Also I should add that when a new Walmart opened in between the town I live in now and the next town ZERO groceries stores closed.  They all thrived.  (One recently changed to a different name.)  Slightly larger population and most of the stores were drive to and not walk to also.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-10-2018, 05:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: Not defending Jackson but I wanted to say something about this:

When Walmart moved within 15 miles of my hometown we still had two or three groceries stories in the town with a population of maybe 4,000.

Now there are zero within walking distance and even some of the bigger ones near the Walmart have closed or are going to in the near future.

They just could not compete with Walmart's pricing and were driven out of business.  Not saying that is what happened with these locations but I wanted to comment on that aspect of some stores.

Also I should add that when a new Walmart opened in between the town I live in now and the next town ZERO groceries stores closed.  They all thrived.  (One recently changed to a different name.)  Slightly larger population and most of the stores were drive to and not walk to also.

Other stores have been having to deal with competing with Walmart for a long time.  Though we hate going to Walmart, we do use their online shopping and pick up about once a month, to replenish shelf items, household cleaning supplies, and stuff like trash and food storage bags.  I like to frequent our other grocery stores about twice a week, and usually get what is on sale.  However, we have one local store that is similar to an old fashioned IGA, and they have the cheapest butcher shop around.  People refer to it as the "Mexican Store", as the place is owned by Mexican folks.  Their meats are all from local farms, usually less than 30 miles from the store, so it's always fresh.  I like that they have stuff like Al Pastor, and Carne Asada meat already seasoned.  Makes for a quick and easy home cooked meal, on nights that we are hectic.

Edited for content. (that didn't sound like how I wanted it to)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23