Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jessie Bates
With the exception of Burrow and Reader and maybe Jonah. Bates is a top 5 player. He's Jamal Adams quality he needs to be signed long term. I'm concerned because we normally don't value Safeties here
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:40 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: With the exception of Burrow and Reader and maybe Jonah. Bates is a top 5 player. He's Jamal Adams quality he needs to be signed long term. I'm concerned because we normally don't value Safeties here

I'm not 100% following what you mean by "with the exception of Burrow and Reader and maybe Jonah" but I agree, Bates is a very good safety. I am very glad we have him back there.
Reply/Quote
Was that Bates on that head to head collision....you know I've seen offset penalties before but that was an odd one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'm not 100% following what you mean by "with the exception of Burrow and Reader and maybe Jonah" but I agree, Bates is a very good safety. I am very glad we have him back there.

I'm talking 5 most valuable Bengals. Bates was real good last year. He was all pro quality yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:51 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I'm talking 5 most valuable Bengals. Bates was real good last year. He was all pro quality yesterday.

Gotcha. Yeah, Bates played wonderfully yesterday. I hope he keeps it up.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:50 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Was that Bates on that head to head collision....you know I've seen offset penalties before but that was an odd one.

WhoDey2 That was that stupid rule about ball carriers and defensive people can't lower their helmets. Ask Geno how that worked out in the '16 playoff game...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Bates is just being Bates. He was an excellent pick. He's just now getting his NFL legs under him, and he was already a good player. This guy is legit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Bates looked great yesterday. Was really happy to see that! The LB's looked good too.
Reply/Quote
Bates almost looked like a young Ed Reed out their. An elite S can shut off 1 side of the field.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:02 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Bates almost looked like a young Ed Reed out their. An elite S can shut off 1 side of the field.

Idk that I’d go that far, but he looks pretty good.

Reply/Quote
Bates got called for 2 Unnecessary roughness's yesterday and both were bad calls.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Knock on him coming out from WF was his tackling but man he can lay the wood. I love a safety that makes you pay... of course, the NFL refs seems to disagree.
Reply/Quote
His ball skills are uncanny he is never in the wrong spot.
Reply/Quote
Agree with all of you. His play was definitely a bright spot to yesterday.

Reply/Quote
And he’s appealing both of those unnecessary roughness penalties.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 07:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: And he’s appealing both of those unnecessary roughness penalties.

....as he should.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 03:28 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: His ball skills are uncanny he is never in the wrong spot.

While I totally agree with you. We have to come up with something better to call it than ball skills Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 07:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....as he should.

Yep, replay showed that he made the plays, as textbook as the rules state.  What next, we're just going to flag anything that looks like enthusiastic defense?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:40 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: With the exception of Burrow and Reader and maybe Jonah. Bates is a top 5 player. He's Jamal Adams quality he needs to be signed long term. I'm concerned because we normally don't value Safeties here

He's definitely got a bit of that Reggie Nelson vibe to him.  Loved the pick, and I'm really liking his development as a player.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 08:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's definitely got a bit of that Reggie Nelson vibe to him.  Loved the pick, and I'm really liking his development as a player.

We’ve missed the hell out of Reggie ever since he left. Would be awesome if Bates can get to that level. Which it looks like he certainly can.

Reply/Quote