Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jessie Bates - he's gonna play a long time in this league
What was people's thoughts on jessie bates yesterday?

What with the veteran (and captain) safety losing his head and getting ejected, his replacement in Fej coming in and taking the highlights with the fumble TD , I've not seen a lot of talk on how he did.

He clearly did not have a spectacular game and both the Colts and Bengals scheme meant it was mainly short drops and passes for Luck but I'm impressed with his demeanor. No coverage mistakes and a sure tackler.

Bizarrely , was also impressed that in the Fej fumble recovery you could see him waving him down to ground - that's a pretty composed, situationally aware response from a rookie not getting carried away in the end of game excitement on his debut.

Marv loves these sort of guys and if he carries on in that manner he could be playing Safety for us for a long , long time.
Reply/Quote
I noticed he tackled very well. That was the knock on him during the draft so every time I saw he was in position to make one I was sure to keep an eye on him. Didn’t see anything to make me concerned that he was a liability in that aspect. Didn’t really see any bad plays from him at all that I can remember. I’ll take that from a rookie in his first start any day. He’ll be a fine one for us, and from what I’ve seen and read about his personality he seems like a great guy to have on the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 06:24 PM)sonofstat Wrote: What was people's thoughts on jessie bates yesterday?

What with the veteran (and captain) safety losing his head and getting ejected, his replacement in Fej coming in and taking the highlights with the fumble TD , I've not seen a lot of talk on how he did.

He clearly did not have a spectacular game and both the Colts and Bengals scheme meant it was mainly short drops and passes for Luck but I'm impressed with his demeanor.  No coverage mistakes and a sure tackler.

Bizarrely , was also impressed that in the Fej fumble recovery you could see him waving him down to ground  - that's a pretty composed, situationally aware response from a rookie not getting carried away in the end of game excitement on his debut.

Marv loves these sort of guys and if he carries on in that manner he could be playing Safety for us for a long , long time.

We had 2 rookies starting in week one. Price and Bates. I think last time that happened was Dalton and Green, but could be wrong.

They both (barring injury) could develop into great pro football players.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 06:24 PM)sonofstat Wrote: What was people's thoughts on jessie bates yesterday?

He clearly did not have a spectacular game and both the Colts and Bengals scheme meant it was mainly short drops and passes for Luck but I'm impressed with his demeanor.  No coverage mistakes and a sure tackler.

Bizarrely , was also impressed that in the Fej fumble recovery you could see him waving him down to ground  - that's a pretty composed, situationally aware response from a rookie not getting carried away in the end of game excitement on his debut.

Good for him for waving Fej down. I was surprised when I saw a lot of people complimenting that play.
Reply/Quote
Bates seems to be the real deal. He'll have his work cut out for him Thursday. Love to see him pick Flaccid off.
Reply/Quote
Didnt notice him other than a nice tackle. Which is a good thing
Reply/Quote
Love what I saw from him. First start as a rookie. Like it
Reply/Quote
the Colts only completion over 20 yards was the TD to Ebron. That's a pretty good indication the safeties balled. Gonna eat some Fedj crow because I always was nervous to have him play a lot of defensive snaps. Turns out....he balled
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 08:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bates seems to be the real deal. He'll have his work cut out for him Thursday. Love to see him pick Flaccid off.

Me too...remember when Reggie Nelson played FS for us - he seemed to know Flacco and Big Ben's games inside out. Flacco had a terrible QBR against us and think Big Ben threw more INTs to reggie than anyone.

If Bates can introduce himself to the AFCN QB's he'll be seeing twice a year first time up in a similar way to Reggie I'll be delighted  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 09:42 PM)bonesaw Wrote: the Colts only completion over 20 yards was the TD to Ebron.  That's a pretty good indication the safeties balled. Gonna eat some Fedj crow because I always was nervous to have him play a lot of defensive snaps.  Turns out....he balled

Indeed, I think where it will be really interesting to see what we have in Bates is over next 3 games.

Got some big armed QB's (Flacco, Cam)  and all pro deep threats (Julio) on the schedule... at some point its going to get aired out and he's going to be last man in coverage.

Sure he'll make some mistakes but I really like the look of this guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 07:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We had 2 rookies starting in week one. Price and Bates. I think last time that happened was Dalton and Green, but could be wrong.

They both (barring injury) could develop into great pro football players.

He wasn't tested for covering any deep shots against Indy.  That will change Thursday night.  For whatever reason, the Bengal's defense has always done a pretty good job keeping the ratbirds in check under the old leadership.  We are, if you will, built defensively to beat our division.  

I think this week's game we will see Flaccid try to stretch the field and test us deep (likely away from WJIII) but with Dre and Bates.

I think this can play right in to our hands.  It isn't Iloka back there just waiting to make a tackle after a long gain.  Bates is a ball hawk, and it more of a Reggie Nelson-type center fielder for us.   This is a problem we have had in the past that has been addressed.  I think Bates will make a huge play Thursday night, and I think our pass rush will look a lot different as well (better).  
Reply/Quote
Looking forward to seeing how well he does against John Brown. I'm sure he'll be seeing him deep. That dude can fly.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought he looked lost, quite honestly.
[Image: sig2.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 09:55 AM)WhoDeyLeisure Wrote: I thought he looked lost, quite honestly.

lost..really...on what plays?   there was a breakdown on the Ebron TD but I do not think that was on him rather than Evans...did i miss something
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 07:41 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: Good for him for waving Fej down. I was surprised when I saw a lot of people complimenting that play.

Only Bengals fans would be mad at Fej for not taking the knee after the fumble recovery.. Definitely needs to be cut after such a bonehead play.  
Actually I haven't seen nor heard many complaints. Winning defensive TD with 40 seconds on the clock?  CUT THAT GUY!  Every team in the league would be beating down his door before the sun set..   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

I noticed that too.  It's good to see a rookie in his first start being that aware.  Although, I can't blame Fej for going for it there.....lots of wide open green space in front of him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If Fej had to go through a buch of Colt's defenders, then he would have gone down, or at least I would have expected him to, but he had nothing but open field in front of him. No reason not to take it back....
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 01:14 PM)tBengal Wrote:

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Love seeing that Bates isn't having troubles tackling, that was his only weakness.

Best ballhawk in the Draft. Dude likes picking dudes off and scoring TD's, hopefully this happens Thursday Night. Cool

Bates is going to be one hell of a player for us.
Reply/Quote