Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jessie Bates not a prime time player
I'm surprised Darius Phillips didn't get his own post game thread over Bates!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I want to keep Bates, but I definitely think he hurt his AAV this season.
(12-12-2021, 11:33 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: You’re suggesting flat out cutting a 2nd team all-pro player from last year, making 2.5 million this year because he’s performed over slightly above average this season, and had a dropped INT in a game where he actually played decently. And you say that other teams do this?

GTFOH.

This shit is silly.
Why are you guys talking last year? He sucks this year. He's a bottom 5 safety... This isn't 2020...
(12-12-2021, 11:26 PM)Joelist Wrote: Not irrational at all. If a player can't make the plays when you need them to they don't belong. Other teams bench and cut even stars who they feel are not doing it. 

By that logic you'll be turning over your entire roster every week.
(12-12-2021, 11:56 PM)Tony Wrote: Why are you guys talking last year? He sucks this year. He's a bottom 5 safety... This isn't 2020...

Lil’ Fella, if you cut Jessie Bates, 31 of the other 31 teams would try to pick him up.

Underperforming compared to last year, sure. Bottom 5 safety in the NFL? These emotional reactions go so far overboard sometimes.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Bates thinking about that contract when he dropped the possible game ending int
(12-13-2021, 12:01 AM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: Lil’ Fella, if you cut Jessie Bates, 31 of the other 31 teams would try to pick him up.

Underperforming compared to last year, sure. Bottom 5 safety in the NFL? These emotional reactions go so far overboard sometimes.

By the numbers he is a bottom 5 safety. Sad but true. It isn't one play that has almost everyone feeling he isn't worth keeping it is the whole season of suck complete with his "head not in the game" statement which shows he is not a professional. 
The dropped interception is one thing…the half-assed attempt to save the game was unacceptable. This is not ***** two hand tag and that’s precisely what it looked like on his attempt to make the tackle the last play of the game.

He might be good but this team has a history of being a loser because they stay loyal to good players that just can’t make plays when they matter. This league is full of players who are good but there’s only so many players that always seem to make a play when it matters most. Let Bates get overpaid somewhere else.
(12-12-2021, 11:47 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Dudes a flat out clown, don’t pay attention to him. I agree that Bates is underperforming, but not cut worthy.

No way he is cut worthy and would even re-sign him at the right price. 

Because he has definitely hurt himself monetarily with his play this season. 

Somebody should tell him its a contract year  Ninja

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
(12-12-2021, 10:53 PM)impactplaya Wrote: If he secures that ball its a different game.in fact
It's probably a win for the Bengals.
He had the whole sideline in.front of him
He made a good route recognition playing a spy role

But big time players make big time plays.
Bates is not a big time player.
I would not over pay for this guy.
In fact let him.walk.

I think he's just above average, and they shouldn't over pay to keep him. If he wants to go say bye. The reality of it is he wants to leave to win because he knows this organization has no idea how to win.
Them not paying him big money this off-season is looking like a brilliant move. If you can get him signed for a mid pack to slightly above average contract, I'd probably consider it if I'm the Bengals. If not, thank you Jessie Bates, and good luck in the future!

"Better send those refunds..."

(12-12-2021, 11:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm surprised Darius Phillips didn't get his own post game thread over Bates!

He's certainly worthy of his own thread. Now there's a guy I'd cut.

"Better send those refunds..."

Imagine actually suggesting cutting Jessie Bates in the middle of the season over a dropped INT…

I can’t believe someone would actually post that on a public forum, and be 100% serious. That’s some truly embarrassing shit.

(12-13-2021, 12:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Imagine actually suggesting cutting Jessie Bates in the middle of the season over a dropped INT…

I can’t believe someone would actually post that on a public forum, and be 100% serious. That’s some truly embarrassing shit.

Don't worry, I just said it wasn't irrational not that it was serious. 

Bates HAS played like trash and his statement about where his head is was the mark of a unprofessional attitude but a cut while emotionally satisfying isn't necessarily the best answer. 
(12-12-2021, 11:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm torn on Bates. On one hand, I'm cool with bringing him back on a reasonable deal for both sides. On the other hand, it's pretty concerning that's he had such disappointing overall play in a contact year...even stating that he wasn't focused earlier in the season.

The issue is that we may want to bring him back on a reasonable deal, but with free agency you always run the risk that some dumbass team with some dumbass GM who is desperate and won't be around for the fallout will put a big contract under any player's nose. So yeah, reasonably contract would be nice but you never know if that'll be an option.
(12-13-2021, 01:02 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The issue is that we may want to bring him back on a reasonable deal, but with free agency you always run the risk that some dumbass team with some dumbass GM who is desperate and won't be around for the fallout will put a big contract under any player's nose.  So yeah, reasonably contract would be nice but you never know if that'll be an option.

If they do they do. We should be able to bring in another safety who can deliver the same or higher level of play. 
(12-12-2021, 11:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: As soon as the ball hit Bates in the numbers and he dropped the ball I immediately came out of my chair knowing he just Lewis Billup'd us against the 49ers and even screamed "damn it Lewis Billups" at TV.

There were many plays that could have changed this game and not blaming loss on this play. But that was the moment I knew things were looking dismal and I may be watching history repeat itself.

Deja vu

I did the same thing, except I'll admit I said Chauncey Billups and then realized that wasn't right.
(12-12-2021, 10:58 PM)J24 Wrote: Lmao this board is dumb

Ok bro, Bates has played absolutely atrocious this season
(12-13-2021, 01:05 AM)Trademark Wrote: Ok bro, Bates has played absolutely atrocious this season

Exactly. Your Free Safety absolutely has to be a playmaker. We could get any number of other safeties and receive the same level of play.
(12-13-2021, 01:05 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I did the same thing, except I'll admit I said Chauncey Billups and then realized that wasn't right.

I don't remember him dropping an int. When did this happen?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."