Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus Rose After Three Days?
Not that it really matters because Jesus rising to save us all is what matters, but this was bugging me (like lots of pointless thoughts do):

If Jesus died on Friday, rising after three days means that he would have risen on Monday, not Sunday.

I've done some research and found different explanations, like the Jewish weekly calendar being different, and a few other possibilities, but does anyone have a simple, logical and accepted explanation?

Like I said, it doesn't really matter, but it's just one of those things that hits me like "have people just not even thought about this for 2,000 years?"

Am I the only one that's ever thought about it?
(04-22-2019, 04:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not that it really matters because Jesus rising to save us all is what matters, but this was bugging me (like lots of pointless thoughts do):

If Jesus died on Friday, rising after three days means that he would have risen on Monday, not Sunday.

I've done some research and found different explanations, like the Jewish weekly calendar being different, and a few other possibilities, but does anyone have a simple, logical and accepted explanation?

Like I said, it doesn't really matter, but it's just one of those things that hits me like "have people just not even thought about this for 2,000 years?"

I never really thought about it.  Friday, Saturday, Sunday...three days.  But your post made me look for an answer that makes the three days fit.

Turns out you have to not read what is written but read other stuff and then interpret THAT and it all works out.

https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/three-days-and-three-nights-did-jesus-keep-his-word

Quote:What the Bible actually reveals

We know we can’t fit three days and three nights between a Friday afternoon crucifixion and Easter Sunday. So what is the truth? When was Jesus crucified and resurrected?

Here are the facts from your Bible: Jesus was actually crucified on a Wednesday and was resurrected near the end of Saturday, the weekly Sabbath.You can verify this, but it’s going to take an open mind and an open Bible.

Now let’s note something surprising: The week in which Jesus was crucified actually had two Sabbaths in it. 
Remember John 19:31? It tells us, “Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day ).”

Again, most think this is talking about the regular weekly Sabbath day, observed from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, which is why most assume Jesus died and was buried on a Friday. But that’s not accurate.

The Bible refers to two kinds of Sabbath days—the normal weekly Sabbath day, which falls on the seventh day of the week, and seven annual Sabbath days, which each come once a year and can fall on any day of the week (all listed in Leviticus 23).

The Sabbath that began at sundown immediately after Jesus was entombed was one of these annual Sabbath days. The day before wasn’t a Friday at all. As we just saw noted in John 19:31, John tells us “that Sabbath was a high day.”That’s a term used to show the difference between the seven annual Sabbaths—high days—and the regular weekly Sabbath day.

So what was this “high day” that came at sunset right after Jesus was buried?

Jesus kept the annual Passover with His disciples (Matthew 26:18Luke 22:52), then was arrested later that night. The next morning, still the Passover day, He was crucified. After dying around 3 p.m., He was later placed in the tomb before the day ended, just as the sun was setting to begin the “high day.” That high Sabbath day had to be the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which immediately follows the Passover. You can read about it yourself in Leviticus 23:5-7.

The annual first Holy Day of Unleavened Bread that year was observed from Wednesday sunset until Thursday sunset. Then from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset the normal weekly Sabbath was observed.

So let’s see if the math works out:

• Wednesday sunset to Thursday sunset is one day and one night.
• Adding Thursday sunset to Friday sunset makes two days and two nights.
• Then adding Friday sunset to Saturday sunset makes three days and three nights.
• It does add up!

Jesus Christ was in the grave three days and three nights—just as He said. He came back to life at the exact time He foretold He would. The angel at the empty tomb confirmed it: “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said”(Matthew 28:5-6, New International Version).

So naturally Christian religions got it wrong...lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Interesting. Too bad I didn't read this before Sunday. Would have asked some of the more religious people in the fam.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Seeking a simple and logical explanation for resurrection does seem like a difficult task.

As far as the statement goes, on the 3rd day he rose.  Friday was the first day on which he was dead, Saturday was the 2nd and Sunday was the 3rd.  On the 3rd day he arose.  Seems easy enough to me.  He was dead on Friday.  Friday was day 1 of being dead.
It was Horus that rose from the dead after three days.
(04-22-2019, 06:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Seeking a simple and logical explanation for resurrection does seem like a difficult task.

As far as the statement goes, on the 3rd day he rose.  Friday was the first day on which he was dead, Saturday was the 2nd and Sunday was the 3rd.  On the 3rd day he arose.  Seems easy enough to me.  He was dead on Friday.  Friday was day 1 of being dead.

You'll hear it different ways, though, with it being "three days later, He rose from the dead," or "after three days, He rose again," or "on the third day, He rose again," with the third one making sense, as you pointed out.
I've always read it as "on the third day, he rose again".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-22-2019, 08:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You'll hear it different ways, though, with it being "three days later, He rose from the dead," or "after three days, He rose again," or "on the third day, He rose again," with the third one making sense, as you pointed out.

Likely from bad translations or just simply mis-remembering what it actually was.

I've always heard "on the third day", though I am hardly a font of bible knowledge.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(04-22-2019, 04:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not that it really matters because Jesus rising to save us all is what matters, but this was bugging me (like lots of pointless thoughts do):

Let me make sure I understand your questions correctly.

Stop me if you've heard this one before.  A guy walks into a desert ex nihilo, fathers himself with a virgin mother already betrothed to another man, dies on a Friday, then comes back to life three days later like its an episode of The Walking Dead Sea Scrolls. And the only thing you're a little curious about is whether it happened on a Sunday or a Monday?  Like maybe they just miscounted the numbers of days he was dead?  That's the only thing that makes you pause a beat and think, "Hmmm, I wonder. Sunday or Monday?"

And your follow up question is, did anyone ever think about this before?

Oh, an you're hoping for a logical explanation.  Does that about sum it up?

Because if it does, I have a simple and logical explanation for you.  You, my friend, are a witch.  Because obviously you wouldn't be asking these sorts of questions if you weren't.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!

But, some people say it was a miracle.  I don't know.  You tell me.
(04-23-2019, 01:25 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Let me make sure I understand your questions correctly.

Stop me if you've heard this one before.  A guy walks into a desert ex nihilo, fathers himself with a virgin mother already betrothed to another man, dies on a Friday, then comes back to life three days later like its an episode of The Walking Dead Sea Scrolls. And the only thing you're a little curious about is whether it happened on a Sunday or a Monday?  Like maybe they just miscounted the numbers of days he was dead?  That's the only thing that makes you pause a beat and think, "Hmmm, I wonder. Sunday or Monday?"

And your follow up question is, did anyone ever think about this before?

Oh, an you're hoping for a logical explanation.  Does that about sum it up?

Because if it does, I have a simple and logical explanation for you.  You, my friend, are a witch.  Because obviously you wouldn't be asking these sorts of questions if you weren't.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!

But, some people say it was a miracle.  I don't know.  You tell me.

Welcome back
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

the timing of this whole BrainX swine resurrection... allahu akbar. allahu akbar indeed.
Zombie reanimation time can vary based on the different cannon. If we are talking walking dead style Zombie it could take a days depending on which season you were in. If we are talking more of a Dawn of the Dead timeline, it probably should have been the same day.