Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jets Jettison another former Bengal
The Jets earlier this off-season released often injured former Bengal Carl Lawson. Now they add one season wonder overpaid CJ Uzomah to the guys looking for a job. CJ parlayed 1 good season with JoeyB into a crazy payday and it didn't pay off for the Jets. At 31 with his injury history, he may be on the outside looking in during free agency

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I could definitely see the Bengals re-signing Uzomah.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 02:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I could definitely see the Bengals re-signing Uzomah.

Eh, he's coming off of knee surgery.  He should likely call it a career, while he still has enough health to play with his kids as they grow up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 02:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I could definitely see the Bengals re-signing Uzomah.

Hurst also got released.
Reply/Quote
Panthers are releasing Hurst I see that before Uzomah.
Reply/Quote
Both Uzo and Hurst have their problems, knee injury for Uzo and concussions for Hurst. I pass on both.

Bring back Hudson and Sample and add Sinnott, Stover or Theo Johnson in the 3rd round would be my plan.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Both Uzo and Hurst have their problems, knee injury for Uzo and concussions for Hurst. I pass on both.

Bring back Hudson and Sample and add Sinnott, Stover or Theo Johnson in the 3rd round would be my plan.

Agree ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Both Uzo and Hurst have their problems, knee injury for Uzo and concussions for Hurst. I pass on both.

Totally agree. Let’s move on from oft injured guys.
Reply/Quote
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39147312/panthers-hayden-hurst-speaks-family-concussion-recovery-post-traumatic-amnesia

Yea that whole post traumatic amnesia after a concussion last year scares the shit out of me.

I’d pass on our two old vet TEs and go after Jonnu and or Logan Thomas
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 02:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eh, he's coming off of knee surgery.  He should likely call it a career, while he still has enough health to play with his kids as they grow up.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Maybe his time has just passed.

(03-05-2024, 04:08 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Hurst also got released.

(03-05-2024, 05:38 PM)pulses Wrote: Panthers are releasing Hurst I see that before Uzomah.

Hurst would be an option too, but didn't he have a major issue following a concussion? Post Traumatic amnesia or something like that? I would hope he thinks long and hard before he goes back on a football field.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 07:37 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Maybe his time has just passed.

Hurst would be an option too, but didn't he have a major issue following a concussion? Post Traumatic amnesia or something like that? I would hope he thinks long and hard before he goes back on a football field.

At this point I'd be comfortable with them signing back Hudson and Sample, and then trying their luck in the draft.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 08:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At this point I'd be comfortable with them signing back Hudson and Sample, and then trying their luck in the draft.

yea, that might be the safest path forward. I just feel bad for Hayden. He was a good player for us in his 1 year. The deal that the Panthers gave him was unreasonable for us to match, just like the Jets and Uzomah 2 years ago. 

One of the reasons I respect the Bengals front office is because they treat free agency differently than most teams. Most teams enter free agency with a glaring need and they will overpay for someone just to say they filled a hole, only to cut them a year or two later after its obvious that they overpaid for the player. 

No reasonable person believed that Hayden Hurst was worth 7 million per year and no reasonable person believed Uzomah was worth 8 million per year. And in their collective 3 years away from the Bengals, they put up 47 receptions for 474 yards and 4 touchdowns over 36 games.

The Bengals go into free agency with an understanding of what each player is worth, and they refuse to pay more than what they believe that player's value is. That means they are more likely to play through the end of the contract and both sides are happy with the contract.

There's a reason the Bengals' cap management is considered one of the best in the entire league. The worst contract they've given out in the last 14 years was Trae Waynes, and even then it wasn't due to a lack of talent, he just kept getting injured and by the time he was healthy, he had already been replaced. Not many teams can say the same.

I don't remember exactly where I was going with this, but my point is I trust the Bengals front office if they choose to re-sign one of these two guys because they actually know what their value is, whereas other teams just throw money at players just to say they filled a hole on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 08:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At this point I'd be comfortable with them signing back Hudson and Sample, and then trying their luck in the draft.

I’d still like them to kick the tires on a few vets to see what’s out there. Jonnu Smith, if he doesn’t sign in Miami and Noah Fant are a couple I’d look at. Hunter Henry if/when he’s a free agent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 11:17 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: yea, that might be the safest path forward. I just feel bad for Hayden. He was a good player for us in his 1 year. The deal that the Panthers gave him was unreasonable for us to match, just like the Jets and Uzomah 2 years ago. 

One of the reasons I respect the Bengals front office is because they treat free agency differently than most teams. Most teams enter free agency with a glaring need and they will overpay for someone just to say they filled a hole, only to cut them a year or two later after its obvious that they overpaid for the player. 

No reasonable person believed that Hayden Hurst was worth 7 million per year and no reasonable person believed Uzomah was worth 8 million per year. And in their collective 3 years away from the Bengals, they put up 47 receptions for 474 yards and 4 touchdowns over 36 games.

The Bengals go into free agency with an understanding of what each player is worth, and they refuse to pay more than what they believe that player's value is. That means they are more likely to play through the end of the contract and both sides are happy with the contract.

There's a reason the Bengals' cap management is considered one of the best in the entire league. The worst contract they've given out in the last 14 years was Trae Waynes, and even then it wasn't due to a lack of talent, he just kept getting injured and by the time he was healthy, he had already been replaced. Not many teams can say the same.

I don't remember exactly where I was going with this, but my point is I trust the Bengals front office if they choose to re-sign one of these two guys because they actually know what their value is, whereas other teams just throw money at players just to say they filled a hole on the roster.

The bolded line speaks greatly towards the Bengal offense to get the most out of their players.  Look at Hudson, he had a career year with the team last year, and could have done much more had he been active for the entire season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 11:17 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: yea, that might be the safest path forward. I just feel bad for Hayden. He was a good player for us in his 1 year. The deal that the Panthers gave him was unreasonable for us to match, just like the Jets and Uzomah 2 years ago. 

Great post CJD, reps. I agree, I feel bad for Hayden as well, we just cannot risk hurting the team if he has major concussion problems.

He was depressed before he came here as well and the Bengals really helped him out in this aspect though, so there is that.

I agree that I like the way the Bengals do things now, this has not always been the case. I do wish we went out and made a trade once in 
awhile to improve the team, but overall the FO and the coaches have handled Free Agency pretty well since Zac and Lou have got here.

We have to remember that Marv left Zac and Lou a team that had about the worst trenches in the NFL at the time.
Reply/Quote