Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Acosta
(11-20-2018, 01:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The "unbiased" comment was directed at your assertion that I was looking badly trying to discuss freedom of the press with a 1st Amendment expert such as Benton. Nothing to do with Trump/Acosta.

That has nothing to do with bias unless you consider that me thinking that the person who actually has experience in the field being discussed knows better than the guy who just has an opinion and not experience.

On that note, more people who know the business:

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/417537-white-house-correspondents-group-promises-reporters-will-continue-to-ask

Quote:The president of the White House Correspondents' Association (WHCA) said Monday that the group "fully expect[s]" White House reporters to continue asking follow-up questions at presidential news conferences.

Earlier Monday, the White House announced new rules for reporters at news conferences that include limiting the ability of reporters to ask follow-up questions.

"The White House Correspondents' Association had no role in crafting any procedures for future press conferences. For as long as there have been White House press conferences, White House reporters have asked follow-up questions," WCHA President Olivier Knox wrote in a statement.

"We fully expect this tradition will continue. We will continue to make the case that a free and independent news media plays a vital role in the health of our republic," Knox continued.

The White House on Monday said it was restoring the press pass of CNN reporter Jim Acosta after revoking it last week. But the White House also announced that it was implementing the new rules for news conferences and said that reporters who don't follow the rules could have their credentials pulled.

The new rules limit journalists to asking one question and allows them to ask follow-up questions "at the discretion of the president or other White House officials taking questions."

The White House originally pulled Acosta's press credential after he refused to give up the microphone at a press conference earlier this month as he attempted to ask President Trump a question about the Russia investigation.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
see?  He doesn't even have to answer a question if he doesn't want to.

Smirk
(11-20-2018, 12:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: Serious question:  How many press conferences have you attended as a member of the media?

Because, while you usually try to come off as having knowledge of almost everything you are doing this back and forth with Benton (who actually works in the press) very badly.

I've attended a few in my day in radio...not asking a question is the exact opposite of why they are there.  Sometimes, as Benton says, it is "off topic".  In this case with Trump and Acosta it was a general presser that covered a wide range of topics.  Trump doesn't have to answer, hell he doesn't even have to call on anyone...or even show up....but he like the attention and he likes to fight when he knows he has total control.

Did Acosta act the fool?  IMHO he did.

Has Trump made it worse than it had to be by a) pulling his hard pass b) lying about why and using a doctored video to "prove" it c) chaning "the rules" so reporters can only ask one question?  Yep.

Again, if Trump doesn't want to answer questions...don't.  He went a long time between press conferences his first year...he can do it if he wants.

Yes Acosta acted the fool.

How ever BFine has a point. There are more reporters there that DON"T get to ask a question. Does that mean they didn't do their job??? According to you yes, and that is false, because they still get to report the answers on what others asked. If it's filmed live, you get the info just the same as the person sitting there. Only difference is, you won't get a chance to ask a question, but it's no different than the POTUS never calling you now is it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-21-2018, 09:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes Acosta acted the fool.

How ever BFine has a point. There are more reporters there that DON"T get to ask a question. Does that mean they didn't do their job??? According to you yes, and that is false, because they still get to report the answers on what others asked. If it's filmed live, you get the info just the same as the person sitting there. Only difference is, you won't get a chance to ask a question, but it's no different than the POTUS never calling you now is it?

So your contention is that because they didn't get to ask they didn't do their job.  

Just as an example: How many tried and were not picked?  They are there to gather information.  The best way to do that is to ask a question.  if the POTUS is afraid to answer a question so he can just say that reporter isn't allowed in then it is wrong.  There is a tremendous difference between just reporting the answer the POTUS gave to a question and getting to ask your own.

And I stand by my point of the post you quoted:  Bfine doesn't know what he's talking about because he's never done it.  He's simply defending Trump as he always does.
(11-21-2018, 10:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: So your contention is that because they didn't get to ask they didn't do their job.  

Just as an example: How many tried and were not picked?  They are there to gather information.  The best way to do that is to ask a question.  if the POTUS is afraid to answer a question so he can just say that reporter isn't allowed in then it is wrong.  There is a tremendous difference between just reporting the answer the POTUS gave to a question and getting to ask your own.

And I stand by my point of the post you quoted:  Bfine doesn't know what he's talking about because he's never done it.  He's simply defending Trump as he always does.

No, that was Benton's opinion; you know; the expert. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-21-2018, 10:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No, that was Benton's opinion; you know; the expert. 

Didn't say he was an "expert" I said he knows more about than you do...which I've had to read you whine about for a day or so now.

Smirk
(11-21-2018, 10:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: Didn't say he was an "expert" I said he knows more about than you do...which I've had to read you whine about for a day or so now.

Smirk

You were the one that put my name in your mouth. 

(11-21-2018, 09:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes Acosta acted the fool.

Not asking a question doesn't mean they're not getting to do their job. They may not get picked to answer, or they may have their question asked. Often times a reporter has spent hours (days sometimes) getting a story together and that interaction is his chance to finish it... and sometimes that finish comes when someone else asks the necessary question. For reporters that don't get to ask their question today, they hold it (and the story) until tomorrow.

An elected official reading from a script and taking a question or two is not an open flow of information. Doing their job often requires asking questions that aren't part of the conference, and that's widely accepted as OK because that's the only contact they're having. It's not like Acosts or any other reporter is calling up the POTUS and asking for a quote.

(11-21-2018, 10:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No, that was Benton's opinion; you know; the expert. 

I yield to your countless hours spent in press pens and outstanding 1st amendment expertise of just giving his opinion in stuff and calling it news.

Mellow
(11-22-2018, 01:37 AM)Benton Wrote: I yield to your countless hours spent in press pens and outstanding 1st amendment expertise of just giving his opinion in stuff and calling it news.

Mellow

You were the one that said a reporter cannot do his/her job if he/she cannot ask questions. I was simply citing you as an expert source (BTW, Dino doesn't consider you an expert) when Dino disagreed with the assertion. Perhaps you should yield to him. 

I really don't know why only the person that asked the question is the only one that doesn't give his/her opinion on the answer. His/hers is news; everyone else that heard the answer is opinion. Must be a trade secret.

(11-22-2018, 01:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You were the one that said a reporter cannot do his/her job if he/she cannot ask questions.

And Benton explained, clearly in his last post what that entails. A person willing to admit he was wrong, or who wasn't hellbent on defending the POTUS at every cost, would/could admit that.

(11-22-2018, 01:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I was simply citing you as an expert source (BTW, Dino doesn't consider you an expert) when Dino disagreed with the assertion. Perhaps you should yield to him. 

How's MY name taste? Smirk

Anyway at least quote me correctly...I said "I didn't say Benton was an expert". Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. My original point was that he has had much more experience than you (or I) involving the topic at hand and MAYBE you are are wrong when you only have your opinion.

(11-22-2018, 01:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I really don't know why only the person that asked the question is the only one that doesn't give his/her opinion on the answer. His/hers is news; everyone else that heard the answer is opinion. Must be a trade secret.

Well I can see you're back to just mishmashing answers and trying to muddy up the waters so I'll be out until I get mentioned again.

Just know that your answers are getting (and I didn't know how this could happen) even more wrong and further from what happens. Probably because your bias and opinions are overshadowing your ability to admit you might have been wrong.
(11-22-2018, 10:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: How's MY name taste? Smirk

Anyway at least quote me correctly...I said "I didn't say Benton was an expert". Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. My original point was that he has had much more experience than you (or I) involving the topic at hand and MAYBE you are are wrong when you only have your opinion.

You mean your statement was misrepresented? I cannot believe that occurred!
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-22-2018, 01:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You were the one that said a reporter cannot do his/her job if he/she cannot ask questions. I was simply citing you as an expert source (BTW, Dino doesn't consider you an expert) when Dino disagreed with the assertion. Perhaps you should yield to him. 

I really don't know why only the person that asked the question is the only one that doesn't give his/her opinion on the answer. His/hers is news; everyone else that heard the answer is opinion. Must be a trade secret.

1. The reporters story may not have anything to do with the briefing.
2. If the reporters story is the subject of the breifing, he may want something answeredfor the benefit of his readers/viewers.

The reporter really cannot do his job if he doesn't have access to origination material. The desire to have an evenless informed public is as disappointing as it is partisan.