Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Acosta
(11-13-2018, 11:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: K. i appreciate the slur. Simply pointing out my technique in the post you had issue with and that used by others on the board. Not writing my thesis in MLA format.

Any thoughts on the content of the link?

Your oppression is noted.

As to the link, yes, that's the only recourse a news agency has. If the White Houses response is going to be to send out edited video and lie about what happened, cnn should press to have Acosta back in there to show that lying and editing video isn't acceptable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
The problem Benton is it's too late. Trump supporters aren't going to face the truth once they've been conned by an edited video. They'll make excuses as to why it had to be edited (Her jerking her arm down in an attempt to pull the mic out his hands isn't the point. The point needed to be spread was she was assaulted and if a video needs to be edited to prove it then so be it).

The truth is they know most of the things they say about HRC, Obama etc is fake and lies at worse, conspiracy theories at best. And yet they still spread it and defend the spread of it. This is the new age we live in.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(11-14-2018, 03:07 AM)Dill Wrote: Claimer: when so many recognize when you use common conventions for communication incorrectly, you probably don't need to point out when you are using them correctly. Not a big deal.  You are still a good person.

Who knew? I logged into here to discuss politics and religion and received a class on language mechanics. 

I may be a good person, but I pail (for you guys) in comparison to folks like you and Benton giving me pro bono grammar lessons. I just hope you guys extend the courtesy to everyone and are not partisan in your "assistance".   
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-14-2018, 11:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Who knew? I logged into here to discuss politics and religion and received a class on language mechanics. 

I may be a good person, but I pail (for you guys) in comparison to folks like you and Benton giving me pro bono grammar lessons. I just hope you guys extend the courtesy to everyone and are not partisan in your "assistance".   

They never have done helped I, but I think I'm done OK before earlier, and didn't need some help with those.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-14-2018, 10:37 AM)jj22 Wrote: The problem Benton is it's too late. Trump supporters aren't going to face the truth once they've been conned by an edited video. They'll make excuses as to why it had to be edited (Her jerking her arm down in an attempt to pull the mic out his hands isn't the point. The point needed to be spread was she was assaulted and if a video needs to be edited to prove it then so be it).

The truth is they know most of the things they say about HRC, Obama etc is fake and lies at worse, conspiracy theories at best. And yet they still spread it and defend the spread of it. This is the new age we live in.

It's never too late.

In time people are going to look back and wonder what happened, how some things came about. That's not to imply bad things, some very good things could come out of the next couple years. Whatever the future holds, people will look back and say 'we need to see the cause and effect.' How the executive branch operates and how it's allowed to operate are part of that. 

And if it is a turn for the worse, people need to see that there are still people exercising their rights.  

(11-14-2018, 11:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Who knew? I logged into here to discuss politics and religion and received a class on language mechanics. 

Smirk
(11-14-2018, 03:05 PM)Benton Wrote: Smirk

Didn't figure out why I spelled it pail and then put (for you guys). I wanted to give you something "constructive" to add.

I normally overlook grammar/spelling errors. I make them myself occasionally, especially with that automatic spell check feature. I only jumped in in your case because you had the rule wrong. Again, no big deal.  Now your communications regarding politics and religion will be all the more effective.

Can't speak for Benton, but writing is his profession so I am pretty sure he notices everyone's errors, whether he mentions them or not. I'm guessing he responded for the same reason I did.  Nothing to do with partisanship.

PS you "pale" in comparison. lol
(11-14-2018, 07:45 PM)Dill Wrote: I normally overlook grammar/spelling errors. I make them myself occasionally, especially with that automatic spell check feature. I only jumped in in your case because you had the rule wrong. Again, no big deal.  Now your communications regarding politics and religion will be all the more effective.

Can't speak for Benton, but writing is his profession so I am pretty sure he notices everyone's errors, whether he mentions them or not. I'm guessing he responded for the same reason I did.  Nothing to do with partisanship.

PS you "pale" in comparison. lol

Look at the post just above yours.

Your welcome. 

**Britney Spears

(11-14-2018, 08:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Look at the post just above yours.

Your welcome. 

**Britney Spears

[Image: giphy.gif]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I'm gonna bold a couple points in the article.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/14/white-house-trump-has-broad-discretion-to-regulate-journalists-access-989916

Quote:Trump seeks to land blow against media in court fight with CNN
'If the president wants to exclude all reporters from the White House grounds, he has the authority to do that,' a lawyer for the administration said during a hearing.

Donald Trump sought Wednesday to land a massive blow in his long-fought battle against the news media, with administration lawyers asserting in court that the president could bar “all reporters” from the White House complex for any reason he sees fit.

The sweeping claim, which came in the first public hearing over CNN’s lawsuit to restore correspondent Jim Acosta’s White House credentials, could have a dramatic impact on news organizations’ access to government officials if it is upheld in court.

CNN argued in its lawsuit filed Tuesday that the White House infringed on Acosta's First Amendment rights by revoking his access in response to a dispute over a press conference last week.

But Trump’s lawyers replied Wednesday in a legal filing that he has “broad discretion” to police journalists’ access to the White House.

“If the president wants to exclude all reporters from the White House grounds, he has the authority to do that,” Deputy Assistant Attorney General James Burnham said during the hearing in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. “There’s no First Amendment right.”

Judge Timothy Kelly postponed until Thursday a decision on whether to at least temporarily restore Acosta’s press pass. But the arguments Wednesday represented a significant escalation in Trump’s fight against the media, with more than a dozen news organizations, including POLITICO, weighing in on CNN’s side.

Trump has long argued that coverage of his administration is unfair, and CNN has been a favorite target. Even before he took office, the president referred to Acosta as “fake news” at a press conference and refused to take questions from him. The White House also has substantially curtailed the number of briefings by press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

But reporters have retained access to the White House and traveled with the president, and before last week, revoking a journalist’s hard pass — the badge that lets them enter and exit the complex freely — was virtually unheard-of.

The White House said last Wednesday it was pulling Acosta’s access after he repeatedly tried to ask Trump questions at a press conference, even after the president dismissed him, and briefly refused to let a White House aide pull a microphone out of his hand. CNN on Tuesday asked a judge to temporarily restore Acosta's credentials and declare that the administration's actions were unconstitutional, saying Trump was punishing the network for its coverage of him and not for any action on Acosta’s part.

Ted Boutrous of Gibson and Dunn, who represented CNN and Acosta, said Wednesday that the White House’s decision was “part of a campaign” against Acosta, citing previous tweets and incidents in which Trump had insulted the reporter. He said under the White House’s logic, the president could bar reporters for any reason, including a “fit of pique.”

He also argued that Acosta, who was present for the hearing, was not afforded “due process” because he was not told his pass would be revoked beforehand or given a way to appeal the decision before he was prevented from entering White House grounds. He requested a two-week preliminary return of Acosta’s pass while the process moved forward.

A 1977 D.C. Circuit court ruling held that the government cannot deny a White House hard pass “arbitrarily or for less than compelling reasons” and must follow a clear process to do it. Kelly noted during the hearing that he would be bound by that court’s decision in issuing a ruling, and Boutrous cited the case repeatedly in his arguments.

Burnham, arguing for the White House, acknowledged that the administration had dropped its initial argument against Acosta: That he had inappropriately touched a White House aide who tried to take a microphone away from him at the press conference.

But he said Acosta’s behavior at the press conference still justified his expulsion, saying his repeated attempts to question the president after Trump tried to move on were “disruptive.” And in response to questions from Kelly, he said the administration would be justified in pulling a hard pass because of disputes over reporting, saying barring a reporter from a press conference was no different than refusing to grant them a private interview.

Burnham conceded that he did not know who in the administration made the actual decision to strip Acosta of his press pass — it was announced on Twitter by Sanders — and said it did not matter that there are no set-out or written standards governing reporter behavior in the White House. Boutros seized on those points to argue that Acosta was not afforded due process.

Kelly, a Trump appointee, seemed skeptical of some of CNN's arguments and appeared to agree that Acosta had been disruptive at the press conference. Boutrous responded that Trump set a tone of rudeness. “He is the most aggressive, dare I say rude, person in the room,” Boutros said. “[If] President Trump wants it to be a free-for-all, that’s his prerogative.”

The White House argued in its legal filing Wednesday that because it has granted hard passes to many other CNN employees, the network cannot say its coverage led to Acosta’s expulsion. The 28-page document mentioned six times that 50 CNN employees have hard passes. Boutrous pointed out that most of those employees are technicians and photographers, part of the large staff a TV network maintains to cover events live at the White House.

Reporters have denounced the decision to pull Acosta's access. Thirteen news organizations including Fox News, NBC and POLITICO announced Wednesday they would file amicus briefs supporting CNN's lawsuit.

"It is imperative that independent journalists have access to the President and his activities, and that journalists are not barred for arbitrary reasons. Our news organizations support the fundamental constitutional right to question this President, or any President," a joint statement from the news organizations said.

Meanwhile, on CNN, coverage appeared to be business-as-usual Wednesday.

CNN White House reporters Jeff Zeleny and Kaitlan Collins reported live from outside the White House on the latest West Wing personnel turmoil, neither of them mentioning the court hearing playing out across the town.

“In many ways, we’re compartmentalizing our coverage,” a CNN source told POLITICO. White House reporters will continue focusing on what’s happening at the White House, this person said, while other CNN journalists cover the lawsuit.

“The president of the United States is the most important person we cover,” the source added. “We will cover the president as we always have. We will cover him thoroughly. It’s business as usual as our coverage goes.”

A second CNN source said network president Jeff Zucker believes the press access fight is “an important story” but isn’t over-covering it as “he wants to be very careful not to weaponize the network.”

CNN appeared to focus more Wednesday on wildfires in California and post-midterms fallout in Washington than the lawsuit. But the network did turn to chief media correspondent Brian Stelter for updates and Jeffrey Toobin for analysis on the court proceedings.

White House officials, meanwhile, have largely been tight-lipped about the lawsuit, although Trump told the Daily Caller in an interview published Wednesday that Acosta was “bad for the country.”

And the president’s 2020 reelection campaign sent out a fundraising email asking recipients whether they think the White House made the right decision to revoke Acosta’s pass.

“President Trump will NOT put up with the media’s liberal bias and utter disrespect for this Administration and the hardworking Americans who stand with us,” the email read.

It's not his house.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-15-2018, 03:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm gonna bold a couple points in the article.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/14/white-house-trump-has-broad-discretion-to-regulate-journalists-access-989916

It's not his house.

Yeah, this is just a circus. I have to say, though, as much as I think Acosta should have just shut up and sat down it should be noted that the first instance of rudeness in that interaction that day between the two of them was from Trump, so I tend to agree with the argument about him setting the tone. Everyone just looks bad in this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-15-2018, 04:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, this is just a circus. I have to say, though, as much as I think Acosta should have just shut up and sat down it should be noted that the first instance of rudeness in that interaction that day between the two of them was from Trump, so I tend to agree with the argument about him setting the tone. Everyone just looks bad in this.

But leave it to Trump to go from "We can take away one person's pass due to bad behavior" to "we can keep everyone out anytime we want".
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Judge has ordered the WH to restore the pass.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/11/16/reporter-jim-acostas-white-house-credentials-temporarily-restored-after-judge-grants-cnns-motion-against-trump-administration/?utm_term=.55901663976a

(11-16-2018, 12:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Judge has ordered the WH to restore the pass.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/11/16/reporter-jim-acostas-white-house-credentials-temporarily-restored-after-judge-grants-cnns-motion-against-trump-administration/?utm_term=.55901663976a

#winning.

Super presidential tweetstorm in 3...2...1....
(11-16-2018, 12:51 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: #winning.

Super presidential tweetstorm in 3...2...1....

@RealBartKavanaugh What am I paying you for? Very bad when Democrats block hardworking SCOTUS. Sober up and get to work!
When the WH needs to use an edited video you are losing. Quick smackdown from Federal Judge.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
The Justice Department arguing that the President can strip a reporter of their press credentials for disagreeing with their reporting should worry everyone.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-16-2018, 03:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The Justice Department arguing that the President can strip a reporter of their press credentials for disagreeing with their reporting should worry everyone.

It was worrying enough for a Trump appointed judge to disagree. At least there is some hope in the world.

(11-16-2018, 12:59 PM)Benton Wrote: @RealBartKavanaugh What am I paying you for? Very bad when Democrats block hardworking SCOTUS. Sober up and get to work!

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
(11-16-2018, 03:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The Justice Department arguing that the President can strip a reporter of their press credentials for disagreeing with their reporting should worry everyone.

IDK. the fact that you can sue to obtain unfettered access to the White House, when POTUS and his staff don't want you to have it would concern me