Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Haslett
Wonder what impact our new LB coach will have.  He certainly has an impressive resume.

Played LB for 8 years winning the Defensive Rookie of the Year Award in '79.  In '80 he was named First Team All Conference.  He was a part of an elite Buffalo defense that ranked #1 in the league in '80 and #2 in '82.

Immediately after retiring from the NFL in '87 he went into coaching.  After short stints in college and the WLAF he was named LB coach for the Raiders in '93.  He also served as LB coach for the Saints for a year before being promoted to Defensive Coordinator in '96.  Since then he has 12 years experience as an NFL DC with the Steelers, Rams, and Redskins.  

He also has 6 years experience as an NFL head coach with the Saints.  He won the NFL Coach of the Year Award in '00 when he took the Saints to the playoffs with their first winning season in 8 years.

Overall for his career he is not considered an elite HC or DC, but he certainly has a vast store of knowledge and experience that should help the team in more than just coaching LBs.
Reply/Quote
If there is one thing I absolutely trust Marvin on, it's finding good coaching talent on the Defensive side of the ball. Not sure how Chuck B. happened, but besides that he has a great track record.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He comes with some baggage as well. London Fletcher, an all decade LB, didn't think too highly of Haslett.

Fletcher, speaking on CBS' pre-game show Sunday, called Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett "clueless."
letcher also said on CBS that former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan "recognized early that [Haslett] does not know what he's doing."

"[Haslett] would take the '85 Bears defense and turn them into a mediocre defense," Fletcher said. "He has no idea what he's doing. He's proven year in and year out that he's not a good defensive coordinator."

So who knows?! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 11:31 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He comes with some baggage as well. London Fletcher, an all decade LB, didn't think too highly of Haslett.

Fletcher, speaking on CBS' pre-game show Sunday, called Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett "clueless."
letcher also said on CBS that former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan "recognized early that [Haslett] does not know what he's doing."

"[Haslett] would take the '85 Bears defense and turn them into a mediocre defense," Fletcher said. "He has no idea what he's doing. He's proven year in and year out that he's not a good defensive coordinator."

So who knows?! ThumbsUp

Well he is only going to be LB coach - not the DC
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 11:31 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He comes with some baggage as well. London Fletcher, an all decade LB, didn't think too highly of Haslett.

So who knows?! ThumbsUp

London Fletcher > Jim Haslett
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 12:52 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: London Fletcher > Jim Haslett

must have done something right to produce a HoF LB like Fletcher...
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 12:52 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: London Fletcher > Jim Haslett

So far, I've only heard chirping from Fletcher. Haslett has been around for a long...long time, so if Haslett were a clueless idiot, I'd think there would be a line of former players trashing him. For now, I'll chalk this up to 1 player who didn't like something Haslett did. Maybe Fletcher was salty about his role or something he perceived as "disrespect".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

So who knows?! ThumbsUp

what a cry baby... you can't please every player even good ones.... I take Haslett track record any day over one sour player
Reply/Quote
Haslett is a very good coach.

I cannot stand players or coaches who throw someone under the bus in public. It says more about Fletcher than Haslett.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 01:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So far, I've only heard chirping from Fletcher. Haslett has been around for a long...long time, so if Haslett were a clueless idiot, I'd think there would be a line of former players trashing him. For now, I'll chalk this up to 1 player who didn't like something Haslett did. Maybe Fletcher was salty about his role or something he perceived as "disrespect".

I am hoping this is the case cause i always thought Fletcher was the most underrated LB'er in the NFL for awhile.

Hope it was something like you say here. That is some rough stuff to say about such an experienced coach.

And while Fletcher was underrated on the field, this is something you should not say about any coach unless it is
something beyond terrible. From what he says it also says something about Fletcher off the field. Like you said if
Haslett was so bad we should of heard these type of things from many players over the years...

Yet, we have not.

I like the Haslett hire myself. And the Burney hire, and the Coyle re-hire, and the Lazor hire.

It is Zampese at OC that i am wondering about.
Reply/Quote
Quote:XenoMorph

must have done something right to produce a HoF LB like  Fletcher...

Fletcher wasn't produced by Haslett at all.

(04-19-2016, 01:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So far, I've only heard chirping from Fletcher. Haslett has been around for a long...long time, so if Haslett were a clueless idiot, I'd think there would be a line of former players trashing him. For now, I'll chalk this up to 1 player who didn't like something Haslett did. Maybe Fletcher was salty about his role or something he perceived as "disrespect".

Maybe Haslett will be a good hire idk but I know Fletcher has been well respected for his football IQ throughout his career and has been around the block a few times so I think his opinion is valid. Considering it's Haslett's most recent stint Fletcher is commenting about I think it's even more concerning. His job before that Washington gig was for the Florida Tuskers in the UFL. Although he did when coach of the year in the UFL if you put any stock into that.

Considering he's just coaching linebackers he might not be bad but I don't see why anyone would be over the moon for this guy.
Reply/Quote
Here's Haslett's NFL head coaching records btw...

Won  Lost Ties Win %
NOR 2000 10 6 0 .625
NOR 2001 7 9 0 .438
NOR 2002 9 7 0 .563
NOR 2003 8 8 0 .500
NOR 2004 8 8 0 .500
NOR 2005 3 13 0 .188
NOR Total 45 51 0 .469
STL (INTERIM) 2008* 2 10 0 .167
Reply/Quote
London Fletcher is one of my all time favorite players.  I can argue that he is the single most underrated player in NFL history, but I am going to take his criticism of Haslett with a grain of salt.

First of all, if Shanahan immediately knew Haslett was a bad DC he would not have kept him in that position for 4 years.  In fact when Shanahan was fired Gruden kept Haslett as DC.

When Haslett took over as DC for the Racial Slurs he switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4.  As a 3-2 ILB Fletcher lost the protection of D-linemen in front of him.  Even Rey Lewis grumbled a bit when he was forced to go through the same switch with Baltimore.  A 3-4 ILB does not make as many plays as a 4-3 MLB.

The Redskins did drop from #10 to #31 the year Haslett took over, but in addition to the scheme change there were also multiple personnel losses.  And the next season they rebounded to #13.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 01:40 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Maybe Haslett will be a good hire idk but I know Fletcher has been well respected for his football IQ throughout his career and has been around the block a few times so I think his opinion is valid. Considering it's Haslett's most recent stint Fletcher is commenting about I think it's even more concerning. His job before that Washington gig was for the Florida Tuskers in the UFL. Although he did when coach of the year in the UFL if you put any stock into that.

Considering he's just coaching linebackers he might not be bad but I don't see why anyone would be over the moon for this guy.

Jay Gruden came from the UFL too, just sayin. I'm not over the moon for Haslett, but I'm not judging him based on the opinions of 1 player from a franchise that has a history of dysfunction and players bashing coaches. Like I said, he could've been upset with his role or maybe they butted heads. Like Fred mentioned, there was a scheme switch to 3-4, and those are usually pretty rough initially.

(04-19-2016, 01:47 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Here's Haslett's NFL head coaching records btw...

Won  Lost Ties Win %
NOR 2000 10 6 0 .625
NOR 2001 7 9 0 .438
NOR 2002 9 7 0 .563
NOR 2003 8 8 0 .500
NOR 2004 8 8 0 .500
NOR 2005 3 13 0 .188
NOR Total 45 51 0 .469
STL (INTERIM) 2008* 2 10 0 .167

That record of 45-51 is almost identical to Marvin's record of 46-49-1 through his first 6 seasons.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 02:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Jay Gruden came from the UFL too, just sayin. I'm not over the moon for Haslett, but I'm not judging him based on the opinions of 1 player from a franchise that has a history of dysfunction and players bashing coaches. Like I said, he could've been upset with his role or maybe they butted heads. Like Fred mentioned, there was a scheme switch to 3-4, and those are usually pretty rough initially.

That record of 45-51 is almost identical to Marvin's record of 46-49-1 through his first 6 seasons.

Birds of a feather? You've heard of the Peter Principle, haven't you? It's a theory that people tend to rise to the level of their own incompetence. 0-what?? in the playoffs, for example. Maybe Haslett is good at one thing – coaching LBs. Let's hope so. With Dansby Burfict, and Maualuga, I don't think veteran leadership would let him screw things up too much before they became vocal about it. If not to the public, then to Marvin and Mike. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 02:38 PM)Shady Wrote: Birds of a feather? You've heard of the Peter Principle, haven't you? It's a theory that people tend to rise to the level of their own incompetence. 0-what?? in the playoffs, for example. Maybe Haslett is good at one thing – coaching LBs. Let's hope so. With Dansby Burfict, and Maualuga, I don't think veteran leadership would let him screw things up too much before they became vocal about it. If not to the public, then to Marvin and Mike. 

Haslett actually won a playoff game in his first season with the Saints and I imagine he could've won a couple more had he spent another 7 seasons there. You're right though. We only need Haslett to coach LBs, and even if he's a poor coach, I trust our veteran leadership to get their job done regardless.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 02:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Jay Gruden came from the UFL too, just sayin. I'm not over the moon for Haslett, but I'm not judging him based on the opinions of 1 player from a franchise that has a history of dysfunction and players bashing coaches. Like I said, he could've been upset with his role or maybe they butted heads. Like Fred mentioned, there was a scheme switch to 3-4, and those are usually pretty rough initially.

His career has pretty much been on a downward trend since his first year as New Orleans HC in 2000. Lewis and Gruden have either been climbing or been stagnate. If it was a scrub player I wouldn't put any stock into it but I'd say Fletcher is qualified to tell us whether or not Haslett is good or not if you look into his career. Just because there aren't other players willing to be as vocal as Fletcher doesn't mean they don't exist or they would even be heard. A few gripes about switching schemes compared to saying he would turn the 85 Bears defense into mediocre are way different imo.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 03:40 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote:  If it was a scrub player I wouldn't put any stock into it but I'd say Fletcher is qualified to tell us whether or not Haslett is good or not if you look into his career. Just because there aren't other players willing to be as vocal as Fletcher doesn't mean they don't exist or they would even be heard. A few gripes about switching schemes compared to saying he would turn the 85 Bears defense into mediocre are way different imo.

As much as I respect Fletcher as a player, I just can not believe his comments.

if Shanahan really thought Haslett was incompetent there is no way he would have kept him as his DC for his entire 4 year stint as Washington's head coach.
Reply/Quote
Haslett is great as a D.C. but as a coach, maybe not so good. But still four-years at D.C. is a great run.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
The guy is a position coach. I really have no complaints of him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote