Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Haslett returning
Not a fan. Every where he goes the teams end up being pretty bad on defense. I think the last place he coached defense was the Redskins and they had horrible years. Before that in the NFL it was St. Louis and the defense became better after he left.

Probably a likeable coach but history shows teams he’s a part of never do that well, had one good season as head coach of the Saints many years ago.

Strange how they give him another coaching spot before a DC is hired. Typical.
Reply/Quote
What if we are all wrong and Marvin keeps agreeing to stay with the condition MB has more control instead of Marvin. Makes sense why he was resigned, MB knows no other coach would come here under those conditions. After all Marvin gets paid what 4 million a year, can't blame him for staying in a position with little stress to succeed.

Keeping Haslett before hiring a DC to have any say in the matter is proof that A. Mike Brown is still calling all the shots. B. They already know who the DC will be and have talked with them about Haslett. Or C. Marvin really has been givin more control and wants to keep Haslett regardless of what the new D coordinator thinks.

Who else is there that could be promoted from within to be the new DC? I fully expect our new DC to be named within the next few days.
Reply/Quote
I think you mean...Jui Haslett?
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 08:02 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think you mean...Jui Haslett?

Yeah, I've updated the news ticker. ThumbsUp

Hell, I wasn't sure if anybody ever looked at the damn thing. LOL
Reply/Quote
That post says he will remain on the Defensive staff. It does not say he will remain Linebackers coach. I suspect if the new DC wants a new Linebackers coach, Haslett will take an assistant position of some kind. That said, I didn't like him for most of the year, but Evans and Hardly Nickerson impressed me last couple of games...
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 05:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

[Image: 750.gif]
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 08:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That post says he will remain on the Defensive staff. It does not say he will remain Linebackers coach. I suspect if the new DC wants a new Linebackers coach, Haslett will take an assistant position of some kind. That said, I didn't like him for most of the year, but Evans and Hardly Nickerson impressed me last couple of games...

So.....It's still possible for him to be our new DC. Damnit.
Reply/Quote
So...with Burney gone and Haslett staying, that just leaves Coyle (secondary) of the major defense position coaches, right? Wonder what his chances are of staying?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don’t know anything about him except that he looks like Go Go from Tiny Toons
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:37 AM)snowy Wrote: So...with Burney gone and Haslett staying, that just leaves Coyle (secondary) of the major defense position coaches, right? Wonder what his chances are of staying?

Of the former position coaches, Coyle is the one most needing supplanted, in my opinion.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Of the former position coaches, Coyle is the one most needing supplanted, in my opinion.

I've been going back on forth on that: Dennard and WJIII had good to very good years, while Dre had a bad to very bad year. Pac was out with injuries for the most part. Iloka had a solid year, and Shawn Williams wasn't bad, either. Fejedelem...well, I can't bring myself to say anything good about him. I don't know how much can be attributed to Coyle, good or bad, but the young guys started to step up.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 02:05 AM)snowy Wrote: I've been going back on forth on that: Dennard and WJIII had good to very good years, while Dre had a bad to very bad year. Pac was out with injuries for the most part. Iloka had a solid year, and Shawn Williams wasn't bad, either. Fejedelem...well, I can't bring myself to say anything good about him. I don't know how much can be attributed to Coyle, good or bad, but the young guys started to step up.

Are you joking about Fej? He's the hardest hitter on the team right now.... (and was named Pro Bowl alternate on teams)
Reply/Quote
Well, so much for a new DC being able to assemble his own staff of position assistants. I really wish that they had left those positions vacant, until after a new DC is in place. Then it could at least look like the new guy had some sway in the matter.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:37 AM)snowy Wrote: So...with Burney gone and Haslett staying, that just leaves Coyle (secondary) of the major defense position coaches, right? Wonder what his chances are of staying?

According to ESPN, it looks like Burney is now back...

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 01:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: According to ESPN, it looks like Burney is now back...

Good.

Continue to crack that whip and demand perfection; got a good season out off Glasgow and Sims, not to mention the development of Billings (looked MUCH better towards the end of the year), Lawson and Willis.

Its a Good thing!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 02:05 AM)snowy Wrote: I've been going back on forth on that: Dennard and WJIII had good to very good years, while Dre had a bad to very bad year. Pac was out with injuries for the most part. Iloka had a solid year, and Shawn Williams wasn't bad, either. Fejedelem...well, I can't bring myself to say anything good about him. I don't know how much can be attributed to Coyle, good or bad, but the young guys started to step up.

(01-07-2018, 11:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Are you joking about Fej? He's the hardest hitter on the team right now.... (and was named Pro Bowl alternate on teams)

I'm not going to say Williams is bad or anything.

He's level of play does not equal his level of pay though IMO.

They should be looking for another safety in the draft if one is BPA.

It seems his salary could be spent elsewhere in FA for other positions.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 11:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Are you joking about Fej? He's the hardest hitter on the team right now.... (and was named Pro Bowl alternate on teams)

Nope, not joking...just can't stand the guy. He's going to hurt somebody running around out there without any discipline. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 09:33 PM)snowy Wrote: Nope, not joking...just can't stand the guy. He's going to hurt somebody running around out there without any discipline. 

Yes, and and hopefully they are wearing black and piss yellow
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 06:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know why you would make any decisions until you have your new coordinator.

To be fair, this group of dumbasses made the decision on the oline coach for 24 years without always knowing who the HC was gonna be! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 05:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Good.

Continue to crack that whip and demand perfection; got a good season out off Glasgow and Sims, not to mention the development of Billings (looked MUCH better towards the end of the year), Lawson and Willis.

Its a Good thing!

I agree, Burney coming back is a good thing.....not so sure on Haslett though.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote