Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Mora's Past Is What The Bengals Have In Lewis
I wrote a new article about how eerily similar Jim Mora and Marvin Lewis are. Both with the success they had, and how the franchises were before them. Check it out: http://stripehype.com/2015/06/16/jim-mora-past-bengals-marvin-lewis/
Reply/Quote
No thanks.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 06:51 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: No thanks.

[Image: tumblr_mowc69KUfT1rwtl3wo1_400.gif]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Although Mora and Lewis share the record for most playoff losses without a win...Marvin took it one step farther by setting an NFL record for consecutive one and done's.

By doing so, Marvin now stands all alone on top of Mount Futility, with his cape of ineptitude waving in the winds of postseason failure.

Other than that, he's done a great job!  Ninja

I'm having some fun with it, but despite how disappointing and embarrassing Marvin led playoff teams have been...there's still a part of me rooting for Marvin to be the guy that finally gets this organization over the postseason hurdle. If that doesn't happen this year, I think a change has to be made.
Reply/Quote
Agree'd 'Holic,

I'm still rooting for Marvin...I would just hate to build all of this up and have it crumble all they way back down into the 90's...

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin and Mora are the Doug Collins types of NFL coaches. You need a Phil Jackson/Tony Dung the of coach to come in and take the team to the next level. Cheesy offseason t shirts, little outward fire, and terrible 2nd half adjustments are not going to get the team over the hump.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 11:42 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: Agree'd 'Holic,

I'm still rooting for Marvin...I would just hate to build all of this up and have it crumble all they way back down into the 90's...

Everybody is rooting for Marvin because he's the coach of the Bengals and we are all Bengal fans.  

With that said, it's hard to ignore history and since he's been here we haven't won a playoff game. How can a franchise allow a coach to keep his position without winning a playoff game for 12 seasons is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 02:23 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Marvin and Mora are the Doug Collins types of NFL coaches.  You need a Phil Jackson/Tony Dung the of coach to come in and take the team to the next level.  Cheesy offseason t shirts, little outward fire, and terrible 2nd half adjustments are not going to get the team over the hump.

Please don't compare the great Phil Jackson to the likes of a Tony Dungy. One is arguably the best coach in NBA history while the other is slightly above average NFL head coach. That is like comparing Michael Jordan to Andre Iguodola. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 10:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Although Mora and Lewis share the record for most playoff losses without a win...Marvin took it one step farther by setting an NFL record for consecutive one and done's.

By doing so, Marvin now stands all alone on top of Mount Futility, with his cape of ineptitude waving in the winds of postseason failure.

I'm having some fun with it, but despite how disappointing and embarrassing Marvin led playoff teams have been...there's still a part of me rooting for Marvin to be the guy that finally gets this organization over the postseason hurdle. If that doesn't happen this year, I think a change has to be made.

It's just tiresome to see a team with so much talent and depth be so inept in big time games, especially in the playoffs. I want Marvin to succeed, I just wrote this showing that hey, he probably won't as history shows. But there's greener pastures over the horizon.

(06-16-2015, 11:42 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: Agree'd 'Holic,

We all root for Marvin.

That's everyone's biggest fear. The 90's. But stated in my article, the Saints won only 90 games their first 19 seasons. Then Mora took over and it took him two years to get to the playoffs. He never got them over the hump, they didn't get better and got worse as time went on. Fired. Goes to Indy. Drafts well. Gets to the playoffs his 2nd year there, loses. Although, the Saints won their first playoff game the last time Mora made it to the playoffs. Then the Colts won playoff games with Dungy.

So it's not all doom and gloom. This is still a very talented team. I would just hate to see it go to waste.
Reply/Quote
Good article Wolf, however using one person ( Jim Mora ) to illustrate history is a very small sample size. IDK what the answer is as far as keeping Lewis ( regular season wins so far ) or taking a chance on getting a better head coach for possible playoff wins. There is no guarantee a new HC will get our beloved Bengals into the playoffs ( or Lewis for that matter ). I can only think of that investment disclaimer " past results are no assurance of future performance ".
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 03:48 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Please don't compare the great Phil Jackson to the likes of a Tony Dungy. One is arguably the best coach in NBA history while the other is slightly above average NFL head coach. That is like comparing Michael Jordan to Andre Iguodola. 

Phil won a bunch of titles.  But he wasn't exactly working with chopped liver.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 02:23 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Marvin and Mora are the Doug Collins types of NFL coaches.  You need a Phil Jackson/Tony Dung the of coach to come in and take the team to the next level.  Cheesy offseason t shirts, little outward fire, and terrible 2nd half adjustments are not going to get the team over the hump.

Oh yeah, Tony Dungy.  That goofy guy that took real good care of his kids and won a SB with Peyton Manning beating Rex Grossman. Dungy is a buffoon and has inserted his foot into his mouth on a few occasions since joining NBC.  Phil Jackson is a great coach that has been blessed with having the best players of their generation around him.  Phil wants 0 part in coaching the Knicks and I bet they eventually fire him as GM.

And a comparison to Mora is decent, but Marvy is much cooler than Mora.  That's why there are 0 soundbytes of Marvy melting down after a loss.  Marvy is composed, even when his team is royally ****ed by the league... he remains composed.

Reply/Quote
Tony Dungy is one of the greatest coaches in NFL history.

His .668 winning percentage is 6th all time among coaches with at least 100 wins.

He made the postseason 11 times in 13 seasons with 2 different teams.

Only 3 other NFL coaches have as many postseasons wins as Dungy (9) in as few seasons as he coached (13).
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 07:58 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: Oh yeah, Tony Dungy.  That goofy guy that took real good care of his kids and won a SB with Peyton Manning beating Rex Grossman. Dungy is a buffoon and has inserted his foot into his mouth on a few occasions since joining NBC.  Phil Jackson is a great coach that has been blessed with having the best players of their generation around him.  Phil wants 0 part in coaching the Knicks and I bet they eventually fire him as GM.

And a comparison to Mora is decent, but Marvy is much cooler than Mora.  That's why there are 0 soundbytes of Marvy melting down after a loss.  Marvy is composed, even when his team is royally ****ed by the league... he remains composed.

No, Mora would get mad because he won two titles in the USFL after his teams played in ALL THREE title games in the league's history, and was ex USMC......he just didn't tolerate losing and piss poor performance very well.....Marv, on the other hand, could use a little fire.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 06:02 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Good article Wolf, however using one person ( Jim Mora ) to illustrate history is a very small sample size. IDK what the answer is as far as keeping Lewis ( regular season wins so far ) or taking a chance on getting a better head coach for possible playoff wins. There is no guarantee a new HC will get our beloved Bengals into the playoffs ( or Lewis for that matter ). I can only think of that investment disclaimer " past results are no assurance of future performance ".

The main reason I used him is because they are both the only coaches to at least go 0-5 in the playoffs their first 5 games. Now they're both 0-6. That's the main reason I looked at him. Plus the franchises he turned around. The Saints first 19 seasons is pretty similar to the lack of success the Bengals had in the 90's.

I agree, a new HC may not be the answer. But mostly I made this article to help ease people's minds that just because we get a new HC does not mean we will be going back into the 90's.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 10:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Although Mora and Lewis share the record for most playoff losses without a win...Marvin took it one step farther by setting an NFL record for consecutive one and done's.

TO bad FO doesn't see it this way.... Or they would have not signed him to another extension.  Confused Bang Head
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote