Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jim O - Expect Bengals to have about $15 mill for open FA market
(03-10-2018, 07:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So we'll probably sign a couple bargin bin guys on the last day or two of free agency as usual ?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown must not know we can look this sh*t up! Lies....nothing has changed.

CINCINNATI BENGALS CAP TOTALS

Adjusted Salary Cap
$188,783,459
Active Contracts:
$152,106,135
Dead Cap:
$1,296,881
Draft Pool Cap:
$8,974,818
2017 Rollover:
$11,583,459
Total (All):
$153,403,016
Total (Top 51):
$148,153,016
Est. Cap Space (All):
$35,380,443
Est. Cap Space (Top 51):
$40,630,443
Reply/Quote
I'm at the point I KNOW they have to start making moves in free agency for anything to change.and they just refuse too. They rather move to another city then pick up a good free agent.

Also this stuff makes me think the NFL is fixed. There is just no way anybody can be that dumb and stubborn. Every year we have the same cap space it seems. Every year they say the same old crap. While we sit here and watch loaded teams like the pats pick up guys. Sherman to San Fran hmmm and their team will most likely be big contenders next year. Oakland will pick guys up,I wouldn't doubt if Pitt does too. And Baltimore. But what will we get,we will get a average linebacker probably Preston Brown and a backup qb and that's it. Makes me sick.
Reply/Quote
How is Lafell and Rey still on the team that's what 6 million in cap space freed right there. Now 15 million can get you one or two starters but 21 million can get you three or perhaps 4.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
we arnt even counting the xtra 6 million from Pacman n imagine the cap , if we cut MJ or Lafell........fml how does anyone support this team. cap should be at 50 if we really wanted to win.
Reply/Quote
It has to be a typo when the article cites Eifert (barely sees the field), Andre Smith (backup OT), Bodine (one of the team's most glaring weaknesses), and Chris Smith (rotational DE who fell off big time late) as "core" players. Jesus Christ.

Geno Atkins is a core player. AJ Green is a core player. Andy Dalton is a core player. The guys mentioned in the article are bums, backups, and liabilities. I guess all you have to do to be a core player on this team is make the roster and not die, lol.

With the exception of Huber and perhaps the Smiths, none of these shitbags should be on the team next year. They should be thanking the football gods that they don't have to trot out turds like Bodine or pay broken down non-players like Eifert for another season.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown wants to win a Championship. He just wants to win it his way.

That's like me saying I want a mansion. I just want to get one my way (working at Wendy's). It ain't happening folks. By AJ's ations and body language last season, our core players know it.

I don't think this team will ever be a perennial playoff team again. Not under this core group. Mike and Marvin and co lost the foundation that believed from 2011-2015. They now know what we fans know. Winning a championship isn't what this team is working towards.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 12:36 AM)jj22 Wrote: Mike Brown wants to win a Championship. He just wants to win it his way.

That's like me saying I want a mansion. I just want to get one my way (working at Wendy's). It ain't happening folks. By AJ's ations and body language last season, our core players know it.

I don't think this team will ever be a perennial playoff team again. Mike and Marvin and co lost the core group that believed from 2011-2015. They now know what we fans know. Winning a championship isn't what this team is working towards.

Lol that's too good
Reply/Quote
I was thinking about the Bengals philosophy towards free agency. The Bengals usually honor contracts till the end because they think it shows other players their loyal and the thought is their own free agents will be more likely to resign back with the Bengals and do a somewhat team friendly deal. I think it has worked for them on some guys like Dalton who has a team friendly deal for a QB. But it is also a strategy that can hurt them. If you keep under performing vets like lets say Lafell and Johnson this year it could prevent you from signing an impactful free agent but in theory it while show guys like Geno or whoever the next big in house free is that your loyal ? The other issue is when other teams are willing to over pay it kind of messes things up for them, like Zeitler and Whitworth last year. If Geno or Dunlap have big years this season and don't sign before the season starts I could see some teams throwing tons of money at them, money i'm not sure the Bengals will be willing to pay. Even if Denard has a good year , teams are always desperate for CB's and will probably overpay. The problem with the last few years is the Bengals have not signed any good free agents, have let a lot of their own good free agents go and missed big on the draft which is a recipe for disaster.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 07:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Just saw our guy Jim Owczarski post an article that we should expect the Bengals to spend no more than around $15 mill on the open FA market. This includes Bengals about to hit FA that could be re-signed (e.g. Andre, Huber, Bodine, etc).

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/03/10/cincinnati-bengals-xtra-how-much-team-spend-nfl-free-agency/413350002/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's break it down what the team might do with $15M.

Bodine (they will overpay I am sure, so say about $6M per year and possibly a front loaded contract using up more than $6M in 2018). This leaves $9M.

They need a punter so they'll re-sign Huber for a contract similar to the one he just finished, which will be around $3.2 per year. This leaves $5.8M.

They would like to bring back Adam Jones, so let's say that offer him $3.5M. This leaves $2.2M.

That $2.2M will be used for some more dumpster diving by our GM Mikey Brown.

That's how this will go, I am pretty sure. The team could save money if they don't re-sign Huber or Adam Jones and they draft replacement.

Reply/Quote
Austin Davis - 2Mil
Rex Burkhead - 1.5Mil
Tahir Whitehead - 5Mil
D.J. Hayden - 1Mil
Mike's Pocket - 5.5Mil
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 02:31 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Austin Davis - 2Mil
Rex Burkhead - 1.5Mil
Tahir Whitehead - 5Mil
D.J. Hayden - 1Mil
Mike's Pocket - 5.5Mil

Hayden checks a lot of boxes on Mike’s checklist:

Former first rounder
Athletically speaking, upper echelon
Underachiever
Available for bargain price
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 02:39 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Hayden checks a lot of boxes on Mike’s checklist:

Former first rounder
Athletically speaking, upper echelon
Underachiever
Available for bargain price

And our new DC knows him..... plus he played slot corner last year the same spot that is vacant with Pacman's release.

Also came from the same school as our now budding star corner.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 02:17 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Let's break it down what the team might do with $15M.

Bodine (they will overpay I am sure, so say about $6M per year and possibly a front loaded contract using up more than $6M in 2018). This leaves $9M.

They need a punter so they'll re-sign Huber for a contract similar to the one he just finished, which will be around $3.2 per year. This leaves $5.8M.

They would like to bring back Adam Jones, so let's say that offer him $3.5M. This leaves $2.2M.

That $2.2M will be used for some more dumpster diving by our GM Mikey Brown.

That's how this will go, I am pretty sure. The team could save money if they don't re-sign Huber or Adam Jones and they draft replacement.

Yupp our big signing guys are 2-3 million at most ,and big stars like Richard Sherman well they are taking the whole 15 million.and I'm sure the 49ers aren't done,and they cashed out on Jimmy g no problem,no questions asked.just money trees in their stadium.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 02:31 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Austin Davis - 2Mil
Rex Burkhead  - 1.5Mil
Tahir Whitehead - 5Mil
D.J. Hayden - 1Mil
Mike's Pocket - 5.5Mil

I can see whitehead but for a 3 mill contract maybe Hayden for 1 mill. And that's our usual and we tried for better.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 03:20 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: And our new DC knows him..... plus he played slot corner last year the same spot that is vacant with Pacman's release.

Also came from the same school as our now budding star corner.

Greg Robinson too.

Former #2 overall pick, underachiever in NFL, physically gifted for a big man, was with Detroit last season so Austin knows him. I could definitely see Mike Brown wanting to pull that in for a 1-year, $2 mill deal.

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 08:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Spotrac estimates nearly $9 mill reserved for draft picks. About $2-$5 mill will be reserved for injuries. Also a good amount reserved for extensions of Dunlap, Atkins, Dennard, and/or Kroft.

The bengals only have 2 guys not qb getting  paid over 10 million and a qb who is getting backup money.

36 million in cap space

Also, please explain why we need to save so much money to retain dunlap, Kroft, and Dennard.

Dunlap should not get a raise,  Meaning we will save money on his next contract.. 

Dennard a small one, and Kroft is not worth a 5 million dollar vet contract,  and even so, that will be for 2019... so

The only one getting a substantial raise would be geno.... and again that will be in 2019.

I am pretty sure they can  afford whoever they want/need .

mb just doesn't want to give up his 20 million dollar bonus he is getting so used to recently.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 10:00 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Mike Brown must not know we can look this sh*t up! Lies....nothing has changed.

CINCINNATI BENGALS CAP TOTALS

Adjusted Salary Cap
$188,783,459
Active Contracts:
$152,106,135
Dead Cap:
$1,296,881
Draft Pool Cap:
$8,974,818
2017 Rollover:
$11,583,459
Total (All):
$153,403,016
Total (Top 51):
$148,153,016
Est. Cap Space (All):
$35,380,443
Est. Cap Space (Top 51):
$40,630,443

So what is the lie?

Make the assumption your numbers are correct, and the team uses the rollover for contract extensions as they have stated.

Now do the math.  It says we have $14.8 million available without any contingency pool for injuries.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 12:50 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: The bengals only have 2 guys not qb getting  paid over 10 million and a qb who is getting backup money.

36 million in cap space

Also, please explain why we need to save so much money to retain dunlap, Kroft, and Dennard.

Dunlap should not get a raise,  Meaning we will save money on his next contract.. 

Dennard a small one, and Kroft is not worth a 5 million dollar vet contract,  and even so, that will be for 2019... so

The only one getting a substantial raise would be geno.... and again that will be in 2019.

mb just doesn't want to give up his 20 million dollar bonus he is getting so used to recently.

I'm glad that you don't own the company that I work for.  Dunlap has provided years of great service and is (seemingly) always on the field.  Quality and reliability that he provides certainly merits a raise in pay.  

If you think that he would be willing to sign for the same or less, than you should likely think about drafting his replacement now. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 12:50 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: The bengals only have 2 guys not qb getting  paid over 10 million and a qb who is getting backup money.

36 million in cap space

Dunlap will likely get paid by some team at a top 10 4-3 DE salary. That would be average $9+ mill a year. His salary cap hit for 2018 is $7.3 mill. He should get at least a $2 mill a year raise.

Atkins will likely get paid like a top 5 DT, which averages at least $14 mill a year. Atkins’s cap hit for 2018 is $9.5 mill. He should also get at least $5 mill a year bump.

And while I understand wanting to say the raises won’t come until 2019, the way the Bengals have been doing business the past few years is having the extensions consume some of the upcoming year’s cap to reduce the cap hit on subsequent years.

Agree with it or not, that’s how the FO chooses to handle extensions.

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote