Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim O interview with Mike Brown
I think this interview is pure evidence your not going to see this team succeed anytime soon. When you ask the owner what you do to get over the hurdles of the same out come for the past 15 years and hear repeatedly that "We're close" is ridiculous. YOU'VE BEEN CLOSE OVER AND OVER!

Gimme a break, hes a comfortable lazy owner.

It was nice to see Jim call him out with the questions in a respectable way. Nice job, unfortunately the answers only reinforce how poorly this organization is run.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 07:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Props to Jim, who always does a great job, but Mike has basically been giving these same types of answers for 20 some years now, with slight variations.

My biggest frustration with Mike was pretty much summed up in his first sentence: “I chose not to make a decision on what we were going to do going forward until all the evidence had been submitted."

His evidence for bringing Marvin back for a 16th season was that they played hard down the stretch and beat 2 potential playoff teams.

What about all the other evidence from the last 15 years - 0-7 playoff record, 2-15 home record vs the Steelers, 68-89 record vs AFC teams not from Cleveland (counting PO's)...the abysmal prime time record???

It seems he's extremely selective about what he chooses to see as 'evidence'. As I've said before, he has a long history of ignoring and/or rewarding failure.

Right on....and he totally danced around the Lazor/PA dynamic. Wishy washy at its finest. I do commend Jim O for asking some poignant questions....some we've all wanted asked. Props to you Jim!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 10:55 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I havnt been paying attention to Mike Brown interview for that many years. I remember his take charge in free agency that never happened. But I got to give y'all credit,you knew how Mike Brown thought. I was kind of unsure in a way .

But I kind of liked some things ,and there was things in this interview I hated. He identified o line on offense,ok that's good but on the other hand he thinks all the other pieces are there on offense for a Superbowl. I don't know about that,I think we definitely need a better #2 receiver,and sounds like they will stick with lafell. I can't stand lafell.i also think Dalton isn't the answer to win us a Superbowl and it would be wise to draft a guy to atleast sit behind him and get ready. Doesn't sound like they will do that.

He claims everyone wants to win,and he said he's not going to dwell on it. Well we can tell mikey. He said maybe you do but I don't. Like wow that's coming from the owner. He also admits taking charge on occasions to override marvin.i didn't know if that was the case or not but we find out,it is true.

Another bad thing,doesn't sound like we will get a good free agent  ,we are going to go ahead and worry about guys too early. I feel that's a problem with this team,looking too far in the future. What about trying to win this year and figuring that out later,are you worried them guys are going to get outpaid Mikey? I guess so.they could of got better free agents in the past,but they carry over a ton of money and pay the guys we  don't really need . And watch some good ones walk smh.

Oh one more thing,Mike Brown talks as him and Marvin are a team on things,so we can bury the thought of Mike getting out of the way.

Tried to tell ya bub....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
That was a pretty hope crushing interview. The ONLY way we have for this team to be championship caliber or even good is to hit Free Agency fast and aggressive. There simply are too many holes for the draft to fill.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 08:34 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: While Mr. Brown did a pretty nice job explaining the moves he made, I too fear things really aren't going to change overnight with Marvin still here; 15 years of "almost" pretty much proves that. I said all along we would have been miles ahead to lose those last two and be picking much higher in every round, with a new coach to guide us in our efforts; I just really believe that is the case, and I can't jump on the hype train. I guess time will tell, but I'm not going all in until we make the playoffs and win at least one game. Then and only then will I believe the status quo with Marvin really has changed. I guess I'm from Missouri.....

I agree, and would have preferred to lose the last two games and clean house. More of the same

(01-19-2018, 09:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sadly, I fear that not much of anything will change, until Mr. Brown decides to retire.  I feel like there's much more to the story than the same canned rhetoric that we see from Mr. Brown, year after year.  I feel like he's a great man, and has the best of intentions at heart, but is still functioning in the pre-modern free agency era.  In my opinion, the greatest thing that he could do is hire an actual, modern football General Manager and turn football operations over to that individual.

Yes, and no. Nothing will change until Mikey is not calling any shots. It's the same story, he's utterly inept as nfl owner.

(01-19-2018, 10:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nice job by Jim O, but it's standard issue answers from Mike. Same low standards, same boasting about mediocre achievements. What team with championship aspirations brags about a few consecutive playoff appearances that all ended in epic failure? What team brings back a HC with a 15 year long resume based on the performance in a couple meaningless games down the stretch?

A team not interested in winning? When marvins extension was announced everything I read about it couldn't really believe he was brought back

(01-19-2018, 11:34 PM)GodFather Wrote: I think this interview is pure evidence your not going to see this team succeed anytime soon. When you ask the owner what you do to get over the hurdles of the same out come for the past 15 years and hear repeatedly that "We're close" is ridiculous. YOU'VE BEEN CLOSE OVER AND OVER!

Gimme a break, hes a comfortable lazy owner.

It was nice to see Jim call him out with the questions in a respectable way. Nice job, unfortunately the answers only reinforce how poorly this organization is run.

Bingo.
(01-20-2018, 12:22 AM)Joelist Wrote: That was a pretty hope crushing interview. The ONLY way we have for this team to be championship caliber or even good is to hit Free Agency fast and aggressive. There simply are too many holes for the draft to fill.

It was. I just can't get behind this team anymore. It's the same shit, different year. Even if I can buy into the notion that these new coaches with their fresh ideas can turn some things around, they will still be coaching retread free agents and draft picks. And Marvin will still be mis managing the clock, making stupid challenges and downplaying big games.
Reply/Quote
All I could hear run through my mind, while I was reading the interview was the sound of Charlie Brown's mom...Wah Wah Wah.....Wah Wah....Wah Wah Wah Wah......Wah. MIKE BROWN IS CHANGING NOTHING! Do not fall for this "We want to win a Super Bowl!" garbage.....Mike Brown doesn't give a damn about winning a Super Bowl. All he cares about is money. Nothing new here.....move on.
Reply/Quote
Thanks Jim,

But all I heard was blah, blah, blah, from Mike.

SSDS - same $hi^ different season, nothing is going to change !
Reply/Quote
Jim did a great job and I commend him for asking tough questions from multiple angles. I listen to he and Paul's Bengals Beat podcast every week and enjoy it.

I've defended a lot of the Bengals front office decisions over the last 7 seasons, but Mike Brown is an arrogant asshole in this interview. My embargo stands strong. Season tickets cancelled and not buying anything Bengals until he's dead and Marvin's gone.

While I greatly appreciate the candor of his statements, his "**** You", dismissive demeanor towards his fan base is out of touch for 2018. This is hurting not only the Bengals, but the NFL in general. I'll still be a Bengals fan, but other sports franchises/leagues are going to be taking their place as to where I spend my time/money until he's gone. I do so not to hurt Mike Brown (I know it doesn't), but rather to help me find a better group of people to be a spending customer to. My $8-10,000 a year I spend on the Bengals and in Cincy on game days would be better appreciated by the Blue Jackets or FC Cincinnati at this point.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 12:22 AM)Joelist Wrote: That was a pretty hope crushing interview. The ONLY way we have for this team to be championship caliber or even good is to hit Free Agency fast and aggressive. There simply are too many holes for the draft to fill.

I've been saying this for a decade and it's never happened. It won't happen with this clown as the owner.
Reply/Quote
The good news is that there is absolutely no requirement that you remain a Bengals fan.
I will, but for reasons I really can't explain. 
I don't expect this team to be in the super bowl anytime soon, but I do think they'll entertain me and that's the bottom line. It's entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. What MB says or does really has little bearing on that. I've never tuned in to watch Mike Brown do or say anything about anything and that likely won't change any time soon. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Check out the yahoo.com home page. This is the first story in the column. It shows just how idiotic Mike Brown's rational for bringing Lewis Back is. "He won 2 games at the end of the season.....Bring him back!" Hello laughingstock, my old friend. Is this real life?!
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 08:34 AM)grampahol Wrote: The good news is that there is absolutely no requirement that you remain a Bengals fan.
I will, but for reasons I really can't explain. 
I don't expect this team to be in the super bowl anytime soon, but I do think they'll entertain me and that's the bottom line. It's entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. What MB says or does really has little bearing on that. I've never tuned in to watch Mike Brown do or say anything about anything and that likely won't change any time soon. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 10:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nice job by Jim O, but it's standard issue answers from Mike. Same low standards, same boasting about mediocre achievements. What team with championship aspirations brags about a few consecutive playoff appearances that all ended in epic failure? What team brings back a HC with a 15 year long resume based on the performance in a couple meaningless games down the stretch?

Certainly NOT the Tennessee Titans Shocked
Reply/Quote
OFFENSE:
Quote:I honestly feel that on offense, overall, we have enough people to be good.

DEFENSE:
Quote:Do I feel we have people there? I think we do.

In other words, expect the usual tire kicking on some 3rd-4th tier FA, maybe some Bengals retreads. Then kickoff year 16 of the Marvin Lewis era to be the exact same as the last 15.

If you were expecting FA changes... LOL is all I have to say.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 12:22 AM)Joelist Wrote: The ONLY way we have for this team to be championship caliber or even good is to hit Free Agency fast and aggressive. 

To suggest that's the ONLY way is what's ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown essentially confirmed he considers a season successful as long as the team makes the playoffs and any playoff wins are just extra. And this is because he looks at the whole league rather than the perennial contenders. Would the Steelers or Patriots be “ok” with just making the playoffs? No, that’s just bare minimum. Their goal every year is make the Super Bowl and anything less is underachieving.
As Mike Brown indicates, the fans now expect playoffs at bare minimum, so there’s a disconnect in expectations. And clearly he doesn’t want to have the same views as the fans.
Hard to get motivated to keep rooting for this franchise with this owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I was telling a dude I started working with a month or so ago that I'm a Bengals fan, because I'm from the area and I play the hand I'm dealt. It wouldn't mean a whole lot to me to see some team from some other part of the country win a title. Might be fun to watch, but the energy wouldn't be the same. His response was "Man, that's a really hard team to root for, given their history and approach". All I could really say was a half-hearted "Yeah.".

Part of me loves Mike Brown's attitude. I hate people in general as a species, and I really respect a guy that can just come out and tell the people who have an emotional connection with something he's selling to eat shit and die on a regular basis. Want us to get better? Eat shit. Want us to change? Eat shit. Embarrassed by our play/behavior? Go F yourself, plebeians. Want anyone in the FO to take responsibility for the disaster that was 2017, both on and off the field? Too bad. You're too stupid to know the difference anyway, you pile of dumb dogshit. It's wonderful to see a human being like that in action, really. I wish I had the money to tell people that kind of thing, honestly. I'd be a sack of apathetic, surly, arrogant-for-no-reason bile and feces just like Mikey, and I'd laugh my ass off the whole time.

Problem is, I'm one of the people who's emotionally attached to his shitty product, and I care a little less every year as I get older. I used to anticipate and get excited about the season. I'd wish the weeks away from camp through week 1. Now I kinda don't care. There were 4 actual games that I didn't watch last year, which is pretty unheard of. I'm a diehard. If I feel my give-a-shit slipping away, then how do you think hearing this little f-u interview makes the casual fan feel?
Reply/Quote
You CANNOT EVER win a SB building strictly through the draft. It takes too long. You'd basically have to hit on every draft pick for four or five years in row and that has been shown to be impossible. You have to have one or two or three impact FA's signed from other teams to have a chance due to the inevitable FA losses every team is faced with.

And if you do assemble this magic roster, you'd better win that SB in the one or two year window you will have. Unless you have a Belichick running your show who can win big no matter who he has, the Bengal way can NEVER win a championship. Never. Not Ever.

And to be sure of this, they have Merv to piss it away on game days. It's the one two punch--Mike to be sure the roster is never good enough and Merv to never be good enough on game day, especially playoff game day.

Face it, fellow Bengal fans, none of us will ever have the chance to celebrate a title. The organization is set up to guarantee ultimate failure.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 09:43 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Check out the yahoo.com home page. This is the first story in the column. It shows just how idiotic Mike Brown's rational for bringing Lewis Back is. "He won 2 games at the end of the season.....Bring him back!" Hello laughingstock, my old friend. Is this real life?!

And yet people that wanted them to lose out for this very reason (and draft position) were ridiculed for not being true fans...

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 09:43 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Check out the yahoo.com home page. This is the first story in the column. It shows just how idiotic Mike Brown's rational for bringing Lewis Back is. "He won 2 games at the end of the season.....Bring him back!" Hello laughingstock, my old friend. Is this real life?!

That's the thing that floored me. I mean, really? They won 2 games against potential playoff teams and THAT's why you bring him back? How many friggin' times have we had losing seasons where we won a game or two at the end against teams going to the playoffs and this jagoff thinks it's a good enough reason to bring back frickin' Merv?!

Heck, play up the "no one better" angle out there. It's still stupid, but at least it's more of a valid argument then "we won 2 games at the end there ..." Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote