Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim O interview with Mike Brown
(01-21-2018, 08:59 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Honest question:

Can the league offices step in and forcibly remove Mike Brown from his ownership role if he's deemed mentally ill/stricken with dementia by professionals?

Oh man, if I had a dollar for every time this was asked throughout the 90s ...
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 08:49 PM)GodFather Wrote: Mike Brown isn't loyal, he's lazy and incompetent as an owner and it bleeds all the way down to the last person involved with the Bengals. These past two interviews he's given this past week with Jim O and Hobson only solidify it.

“I made the call for more than one reason,” Brown said. “It gives us our best chance to be successful this coming season. Marvin gives us continuity...."

Continuity?  Your right Mike, and you know what that is? A mediocre team year after year that never came close to challenging other top teams. If thats what kind of continuity your looking for....you've got it with Marvin.

"I also made the call because I felt he deserved consideration for all the time and effort he has put in here. He’s been our head coach for 15 years. That ought to be to his credit."

Why didn't you have that same loyalty to Whit this offseason and other great players in the past? Its because of the money and hiring new coaching means more work for you Mike. Marvin's been here so long you dont have to do much. You must also be missing the point that Marvin is an employee, a hired hand. If I was your financial advisor and for 15 years lost money every year you invested by my ill advise, would you continue to keep me employed?

"We beat two teams that were in playoff runs. We beat them in games that were important for them where they gave their best shot and I was impressed how we rebounded. That played into what was in my mind when I had to make a final call.”

So you made the decision to re hire Lewis based on the last two meaningless games of the season and not the past 15 years of what Lewis has done...or didn't do? Where is the logic in this?

and my favorite line by Mike?

"And if we win, it will be great. If we don’t, you’ll be right back here asking why.”

and your answer will be the same...we're close...we're close.

I lost brain cells reading the two articles on how incredibly stupid Mike Brown is with his reasoning of why re-hiring Lewis is the best way for this team to win a Super Bowl....

I really hope the stands are empty this upcoming season to unprecedented levels, just to send a message to Brown that the fans are sick of the way he's been running this team from the day he took over.

This is why there's a disconnect with fans.
Mike Brown seems satisfied with just making the postseason and any postseason wins are just icing on the cake.
Of course he wants to win a Super Bowl, but there doesn't seem to be that Patriots/Steelers/Ricky Bobby mentality of "If you're not first, you're last."
You can tell Mike Brown is in a different place by him saying if just a couple games went differently, the Bengals would be in the postseason. And while true that the Bengals were just a couple games away from making the postseason, only an idiot and/or eternal optimist would think that they had a shot to make the Super Bowl.

This offseason is important to retaining a good amount of its fan base because I see a lot of people losing interest unless they get back into contention again. The Bengals might be better off moving to a different city over reverting back to 90's if that looks like it might happen. The fan base will not support the team if they see that start coming to fruition again. It's win more or get out.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 03:29 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Absolutely feel Marvin has been hamstrung by MB royally.

Yet that would not change his poor clock management, his efforts at trying to milk out clock way too early with too small of lead, and his stubbornness about playing young players.

^This. I think Mike's ways have hampered Merv, but at the same time, Merv has not grown as a HC since like his 3rd season. He's STILL making the same mistakes and STILL has the same faults.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 02:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is why there's a disconnect with fans.
Mike Brown seems satisfied with just making the postseason and any postseason wins are just icing on the cake.
Of course he wants to win a Super Bowl, but there doesn't seem to be that Patriots/Steelers/Ricky Bobby mentality of "If you're not first, you're last."
You can tell Mike Brown is in a different place by him saying if just a couple games went differently, the Bengals would be in the postseason. And while true that the Bengals were just a couple games away from making the postseason, only an idiot and/or eternal optimist would think that they had a shot to make the Super Bowl.

This offseason is important to retaining a good amount of its fan base because I see a lot of people losing interest unless they get back into contention again. The Bengals might be better off moving to a different city over reverting back to 90's if that looks like it might happen. The fan base will not support the team if they see that start coming to fruition again. It's win more or get out.

Yeah, he does seem to have the attitude of doing just enough to keep fans interested.
I had to laugh when he said it was 50/50 on the letters he received from fans on keeping Merv. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 02:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: ^This. I think Mike's ways have hampered Merv, but at the same time, Merv has not grown as a HC since like his 3rd season. He's STILL making the same mistakes and STILL has the same faults.

Never been a fan of his game management. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 02:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yeah, he does seem to have the attitude of doing just enough to keep fans interested.
I had to laugh when he said it was 50/50 on the letters he received from fans on keeping Merv. 

Just saw this posted on cincinnati.com where Paul Daugherty responds to Mike Brown's answers, and I think his responses are what most fans feel.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2018/01/22/what-mike-brown-doesnt-understand-and-never/1053569001/

I especially liked this one...
Quote:I don’t think we’re far off. I think we can make the changes that we need to make and quickly rebound to the level where we were a couple years ago.”
The level where you were? Losing your first game in the playoffs? That level?

Mike Brown seems to have the mentality of someone who has worked at a job for years and not pushed to advance. Just being ok where he/she's at and not very passionate about his/her work.
I'm not saying everyone should be forced to be uber passionate in their jobs, but I feel that NFL owners need to be or they should step aside and let someone else handle that because that's what the consumers want. Championships.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 01:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Oh man, if I had a dollar for every time this was asked throughout the 90s ...

Sadly it still bears repeating today  Sad
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 02:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: ^This. I think Mike's ways have hampered Merv, but at the same time, Merv has not grown as a HC since like his 3rd season. He's STILL making the same mistakes and STILL has the same faults.

Yeah, the whole Mike and Marvin dynamic is just frustrating as hell all the way around.

I just think the two of them are very similar in many ways, and it's why they're perfectly content to continue working together for another couple of years, and probably more beyond that.
Reply/Quote

Yep.  Basically, if Marvin was a player on Marvin's team, Marvin would never crack Marvin's lineup.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote