Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Owszarski's Bengals notes...
http://cin.ci/2ehxSrH

Some interesting quotes in this one from Pacman and Dunlap on figuring out their issues mid-game today, Bodine and Ogbuehi on their struggles, and other quotes.

I found this bit interesting:

Andy Dalton was pushed off his spot quite often on Sunday by the Dallas defense, forcing the quarterback to improvise on many occasions. It disrupted the timing of the passing offense, but the Bengals were unable to turn those extended plays into big gains.

“Once we see him scramble, it might be a little tougher because of the zone they’re in,” said Tyler Boyd, who caught three passes for 33 yards. “They’re going to wall us if we try to run with the quarterback. Sometime that might mess up a patter a little bit. We just gotta do what we gotta do to get open and fight and allow Andy to see us while he’s leaving the pocket.”

The Bengals' receivers said the Cowboys played a lot of Cover 2 and remained in zone coverages most of the time, cutting down Dalton’s sightlines as he evaded pressure. ‘

“They had a heck of a game plan,” A.J. Green said. “It’s tough. They’re just sitting back in the zone and you just gotta find spots and then he can’t just throw the ball across the field. It’s zone. They’ll undercut it.”

So what, the key to stopping the Bengals is to force Dalton out of the pocket (simple task with our line) and run a zone with a safety deep to stop AJ? That's all it takes to shut us down? No wonder Dalton looked so pissed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Thread is now unlocked. Apologies.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Watched Lap and Hoard's radio recap. The biggest concern for both was the offense. Defense has had it's moments from time to time in the first 5 games but the offense has consistently struggled. Both were a bit perplexed as to a fix.
Reply/Quote
Bengals got dominated on both sides of the LOS. Dallas executed their game plan with focus and discipline, the Bengals were flat outcoached. Hopefully, this was the butt kicking that the team needed to refocus, play with some discipline, and reset the season from here. (but, I doubt it..)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals got dominated on both sides of the LOS.  Dallas executed their game plan with focus and discipline, the Bengals were flat outcoached.  Hopefully, this was the butt kicking that the team needed to refocus, play with some discipline, and reset the season from here. (but, I doubt it..)

I am still optimistic for the season, this team has the talent.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:01 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: http://cin.ci/2ehxSrH

Some interesting quotes in this one from Pacman and Dunlap on figuring out their issues mid-game today, Bodine and Ogbuehi on their struggles, and other quotes.

I found this bit interesting:

Andy Dalton was pushed off his spot quite often on Sunday by the Dallas defense, forcing the quarterback to improvise on many occasions. It disrupted the timing of the passing offense, but the Bengals were unable to turn those extended plays into big gains.

“Once we see him scramble, it might be a little tougher because of the zone they’re in,” said Tyler Boyd, who caught three passes for 33 yards. “They’re going to wall us if we try to run with the quarterback. Sometime that might mess up a patter a little bit. We just gotta do what we gotta do to get open and fight and allow Andy to see us while he’s leaving the pocket.”

The Bengals' receivers said the Cowboys played a lot of Cover 2 and remained in zone coverages most of the time, cutting down Dalton’s sightlines as he evaded pressure. ‘

They had a heck of a game plan,” A.J. Green said. “It’s tough. They’re just sitting back in the zone and you just gotta find spots and then he can’t just throw the ball across the field. It’s zone. They’ll undercut it.”

So what, the key to stopping the Bengals is to force Dalton out of the pocket (simple task with our line) and run a zone with a safety deep to stop AJ? That's all it takes to shut us down? No wonder Dalton looked so pissed.

If only we could pull that off occasionally. Especially when we get an extra few days to prepare... Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This is what really kills me. Why in the Hell have our receivers and offense always seemed to have issues beating zone coverage? AJ wins one on ones most of the time but disappears against zone. I used to believe it was all Andy but look at the Denver game last year when McCarron was playing. We started that game destroying their man coverage and they switched to zone and shut us down.

Here's the real kicker though...the real kick in the balls: when our defense plays zone it doesn't matter which offense it is they find the soft spot in the coverage like 90%+ of the time on 3rd and longs. Our defense sucks something fierce in zone yet that's our kryptonite on offense. Can we not afford to pay coordinators that understand simple zone coverage schemes?
Reply/Quote