Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Tuner's 9 months with the Bengals have been interesting
(10-17-2019, 08:30 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote:  Wasn't this line actually good at 3rd and short situations last year? They are now literally putrid at everything.

Turner was a comfort hire from ZT's glory days of coaching the future HOFer Ryan Tannehill and his unstoppable juggernaut Miami Dolphins offense.  Turner taught Ced Og how to "block." This goofball is not fit for the NFL. He is not fit to carry Frank Pollack's jockstrap.  They can either fail gracefully by firing him or keep fielding god awful offensive lines with this guy at the helm.

Actually no this line was horrific at third and short last year - the few times we actually managed to get into third and short that is. A while back I pulled a bunch of stats on Bengals performance by down from Pro Football Reference and posted them. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 09:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...reports were mixed, but basically his view and Zac/the Bengals Management weren't on the same page. So they didn't view it as a fit.

Man...Imagine the excitement here if we did hire JDR! People call me negative, but I was legit excited for him.

It’s my opinion that Jack Del Rio would be the perfect defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals. He would bring the Bengals back to Mike Zimmer quality. Every defense he touches gets better.

Don’t get me wrong; I like Lou Anarumo and he has the defense doing better than Teryl Austin did — a low bar, to be sure — but he’s in over his head. So is Brian Callahan, the offensive coordinator. This is an all time low for the Bengals’ offense.

If I were GM I would call up Jay Gruden and Jack Del Rio, offer them jobs, and pay them. This rookie coordinator crap isn’t cutting it.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 08:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And scout. And evaluate the roster. And determine which free agents to sign. And develop playbooks.

It's all A LOT. And he may be VERY GOOD at 1 or 2 of the things I mentioned, but fail at the others.

We basically need a Bill Parcells level guy to win here. And the kicker is, they likely couldn't co-exist with Bengals management!

Time will tell but it's hard not to think he's in over his head.

It's hard enough to do those things for the first time but as you and others have pointed out... it seems he's not getting helped by Bengal's upper management like other new HC's would in the league.

I just don't understand how the McVay connection is enough to make this guy have so much on his plate.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 09:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s my opinion that Jack Del Rio would be the perfect defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals.  He would bring the Bengals back to Mike Zimmer quality. Every defense he touches gets better.

Don’t get me wrong; I like Lou Anarumo and he has the defense doing better than Teryl Austin did — a low bar, to be sure — but he’s in over his head.  So is Brian Callahan, the offensive coordinator.  This is an all time low for the Bengals’ offense.  

If I were GM I would call up Jay Gruden and Jack Del Rio, offer them jobs, and pay them.  This rookie coordinator crap isn’t cutting it.

I agree.

Hell I'd even give Hue a look too somewhere.

The guy is not a pariah in the coaching world.

People just needed someone to dump on for a laugh that is Browns/Bengals world to the media.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 09:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s my opinion that Jack Del Rio would be the perfect defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals.  He would bring the Bengals back to Mike Zimmer quality. Every defense he touches gets better.

Don’t get me wrong; I like Lou Anarumo and he has the defense doing better than Teryl Austin did — a low bar, to be sure — but he’s in over his head.  So is Brian Callahan, the offensive coordinator.  This is an all time low for the Bengals’ offense.  

If I were GM I would call up Jay Gruden and Jack Del Rio, offer them jobs, and pay them.  This rookie coordinator crap isn’t cutting it.

Actually, by yardage given up...this defense is worse than Teryl Austin's. This defense has give up the most yards in franchise history through 5 games...and with how many yards they gave up against Baltimore I assume that's 6.

The most impressive thing...is a lot of the yards are rushing.

They just haven't given up an insane amount of points.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 09:15 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Time will tell but it's hard not to think he's in over his head.

It's hard enough to do those things for the first time but as you and others have pointed out... it seems he's not getting helped by Bengal's upper management like other new HC's would in the league.

I just don't understand how the McVay connection is enough to make this guy have so much on his plate.

It's questionable all around. This guy barely has any playcalling experience and no success with it.

Then, to layer on all of those other duties.

You can really see why basically all of the players have gotten worse.
Reply/Quote
I am not a fan of Jim Turner, but I don't think he had much to do with most of the things on that list.

I doubt he had much say in signing Hart or Miller. (It is funny that John Jerry is not mentioned because he is the only one with a prior tie to Turner having played for him in Miami.)

Perkins, Boling, and Westerman are all out of the league. If the problem was Turner I think they would have tried to play for other teams.

And I don't think Turner has had anything to do with the medical evaluation of Glenn.

So basically the facts that have made it "interesting" also point to giving Turner another year. I don't care for the guy, but I don't see how you can fire him for not getting anything out of the rejects he was forced to work with.

I used to compliment Paul alexander for cobbling together that '09 line that was mostly undrafted free agents with no starting experience. But even then Alexander had 2 solid anchors (Bobbie Williams, Whitworth) to surround with the bargain bin players. Turner really has nothing.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 03:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not a fan of Jim Turner, but I don't think he had much to do with most of the things on that list.

I doubt he had much say in signing Hart or Miller.  (It is funny that John Jerry is not mentioned because he is the only one with a prior tie to Turner having played for him in Miami.)

Perkins, Boling, and Westerman are all out of the league.  If the problem was Turner I think they would have tried to play for other teams.

And I don't think Turner has had anything to do with the medical evaluation of Glenn.

So basically the facts that have made it "interesting" also point to giving Turner another year.  I don't care for the guy, but I don't see how you can fire him for not getting anything out of the rejects he was forced to work with.

I used to compliment Paul alexander for cobbling together that '09 line that was mostly undrafted free agents with no starting experience.  But even then Alexander had 2 solid anchors (Bobbie Williams, Whitworth) to surround with the bargain bin players.  Turner really has nothing.

I think it only fair that in any mention of the '09 OL, the discussion must include giving credence to the contribution of guys like "Nasty" Nate Livings, along with everyone's favorite 3rd Tackle/TE, Dennis "The Statue" Roland.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 05:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Turner needs to be fired. Hell, he shouldn't have been hired in the first place, IMO.

I'm really hoping Zac won't hang on to guys just because they are friends. 

Pollack should have stayed on, but his scheme didn't mesh with ZT planned offense. I'm sorry but Turner's isn't either given the OL mess that the Bengals have. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 04:24 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Pollack should have stayed on, but his scheme didn't mesh with ZT planned offense. I'm sorry but Turner's isn't either given the OL mess that the Bengals have. 

Yeah...imagine how bad this offense would be if Pollacks blocking scheme clashed with ZT's offense...
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 08:57 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Personally I just don't see how Zac Taylor can be a first time HC plus call plays and be successful?

Way too much. Way too soon.

I would've thought bringing in a very experienced DC or OC might have at least gave stability to part of the team to help.

They don't even have that to fall back on as interim if they wanted to fire ZT down the road.

The issue with the OC and DC this year is that ZT was hired after the Super Bowl. All other teams other than Miami (the other team without a win) had their coaching changes in place by the time of the Super Bowl. The difference between Bengals and the Dolphins is that the Dolphins are trying to lose to get the top pick and they have traded away players to obtain more picks in the up coming draft. They are planning to use the draft to rebuild the team. 

I'm hoping that the Bengals bring in an experienced DC and OC to help ZT out. If not, next year will be another 2019 and in 2021 the team will be seeking another HC and staff. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 08:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And scout. And evaluate the roster. And determine which free agents to sign. And develop playbooks.

It's all A LOT. And he may be VERY GOOD at 1 or 2 of the things I mentioned, but fail at the others.

We basically need a Bill Parcells level guy to win here. And the kicker is, they likely couldn't co-exist with Bengals management!

mike b was looking for somrone that could do all that n more for a 1 position salary. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 04:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...imagine how bad this offense would be if Pollacks blocking scheme clashed with ZT's offense...

Pollack was a much better OL coach than Turner. Its why he was offered another job and he is coaching for a team that is playing for the playoffs still. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 04:31 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: The issue with the OC and DC this year is that ZT was hired after the Super Bowl. All other teams other than Miami (the other team without a win) had their coaching changes in place by the time of the Super Bowl. The difference between Bengals and the Dolphins is that the Dolphins are trying to lose to get the top pick and they have traded away players to obtain more picks in the up coming draft. They are planning to use the draft to rebuild the team. 

I'm hoping that the Bengals bring in an experienced DC and OC to help ZT out. If not, next year will be another 2019 and in 2021 the team will be seeking another HC and staff. 

Del Rio was available and they couldn't work out a deal with him.

The SB thing and waiting on a staff is kind of a myth as to why the staff is so bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 04:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Del Rio was available and they couldn't work out a deal with him.

The SB thing and waiting on a staff is kind of a myth as to why the staff is so bad.

I don't see how it's a myth when the other teams had a month or more head start on the Bengals. Our choices were kinda like our FA approach....dumpster diving.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
- Turner benching Price for Hopkins was a good move, Hopkins has played well and Turner wasn’t on the staff when they drafted Price
- Clint Boling retiring cause of blood clots has nothing to do with Turner
- Pollack, Alexander, Lewis , Turner and Taylor all deemed Westerman not good enough to start and 31 other teams have yet to sign him.
- Kent Perkins was a practice squad level player doubt he retired because he didn’t like Turner , he would probably have been asked to be released and sign with another team if that was the cause.
- I liked the drafting of Jonah Williams , yet to be determined if he’s good due to injury.
- Drafting and staring Jordan yet to be determined. Jordan is 21 years old and a 4th round pick I’ll give him time to develop and he was forced to start because the other options available we’re terrible.
- Tuner banging the table and backing Bobby Hart was a terrible move , an average fan could see Hart stinks.
- The biggest thing I blame Turner for is the complete inability to run the ball. Mixion led the AFC in rushing behind a bad o-line last season. Hart was the RT last year, Miller is an upgrade over Redmond and Hopkins is an upgrade over Price, plus Sample is supposed to be the best blocking TE ever lol.
Reply/Quote
Oh c'mon.. You guys just aren't giving them enough time to screw things up to the point of being irreversable for ever. Patience is the buzzword of the 2019 season of irreversable disaster. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 12:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: I don't see how it's a myth when the other teams had a month or more head start on the Bengals. Our choices were kinda like our FA approach....dumpster diving.

But, they had candidates like Del Rio other there. They just didn't want him for whatever reason.

The Rams hired McVay who actually was an OC in the NFL so he was more experienced than Taylor...and they still went with a veteran DC. Del Rio was the obvious hire here.

It's like the Bengals don't realize they're the Bengals sometimes. Like how they tried to interview McDaniels as HC. He had that whole fiasco with the Colts the year before. Like he'd view us as his dream job.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 01:43 PM)grampahol Wrote: Oh c'mon.. You guys just aren't giving them enough time to screw things up to the point of being irreversable for ever. Patience is the buzzword of the 2019 season of irreversable disaster. 

With the roster regression we're seeing...that could be the case. It was a hallmark of the 90's.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 12:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: I don't see how it's a myth when the other teams had a month or more head start on the Bengals. Our choices were kinda like our FA approach....dumpster diving.

I agree.  Hopefully, they take advantage of being able to upgrade the coaching staff this time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote