Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Turner expected OL coach per PFT
From ProFootballTalk:

Zac Taylor is expected to add Jim Turner to his first coaching staff, Paul Dehner of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Turner, in his second stint as Texas A&M’s offensive line coach, has a close relationship with Taylor, who is Mike Sherman’s son-in-law. Turner was the Aggies’ offensive line coach in 2008 when Taylor began his coaching career in College Station under Sherman.

Taylor and Turner also were together with the Dolphins and briefly at the University of Cincinnati.

Turner coached under Kevin Sumlin for two seasons at A&M and then Jimbo Fisher last season.

He was the offensive line coach at Miami during the bullying scandal involving offensive linemen Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito. Turner also served a three-week suspension at A&M for offensive powerpoint slides used during a football clinic for women.

Turner replaces Frank Pollack, who was fired after one year with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Did this guy coach Cedric Ogbuehi?!?!?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Seems like a big downgrade from Pollack and Callahan...this and the JDR news is a bit of a letdown
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 10:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Did this guy coach Cedric Ogbuehi?!?!?

He was there from 08-11, so I'm afraid that he was part of Ogbuehi's development..

https://12thman.com/coaches.aspx?rc=934&path=football

Quote:
Known for his unwavering attention to detail, Jim Turner will serve as the offensive line coach on head coach Jimbo Fisher’s first staff at Texas A&M. 

It will be Turner’s third stint of service at Texas A&M, having served as offensive line coach for Mike Sherman from 2008-11 and then returning for two more seasons under Kevin Sumlin from 2016-17.
A veteran of more than 20 seasons of coaching experience at all levels of football, Turner has developed multiple NFL offensive linemen at Texas A&M including NFL first-round selections Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews and Cedric Ogbuehi

The past two seasons, the Aggies’ O-line crew cleared the way for balanced offenses that gained more than 2,000 rushing yards while also passing for 3,000-plus yards, which was accomplished by only a handful of teams in the FBS. Two members of the 2016 offensive front have earned roster spots in the NFL – Jermaine Eluemenor (Baltimore Ravens) and Avery Gennesy (Jacksonville Jaguars).

Among the highlights in Turner’s first stint with the Aggies were the 2011 offensive unit ranking in the Top 25 in total offense (No. 7), scoring offense (No. 11), passing offense (No. 18) and rushing offense (No. 24). The 2011 offensive line allowed just nine quarterback sacks in 13 games (on 537 pass attempts). From 2009-11, the Aggies ranked among the nation’s top 25 teams in total offense while averaging more than 440 total yards each season. The 2009 unit ranked fifth nationally with 465.8 yards per game and seventh in 2011 with an average of 490.2 total yards.

Among the offensive linemen signed and developed by Turner during his first stay at Texas A&M included Patrick Lewis (Seattle Seahawks), Joeckel (No. 2 overall pick in 2013 NFL Draft), Matthews (No. 9 overall pick in 2014), Ogbuehi (No. 21 overall pick in 2015) and Jarvis Harrison (New York Jets).

When Turner left Texas A&M after the 2011 Meinecke Car Care Bowl of Texas victory, he served as offensive line coach in the NFL for the Miami Dolphins (2012-13).

The 2013 Dolphins improved their win total for the second-straight season and got off to a 3-0 start, the first time since 2002. In 2012, Turner guided an offensive line that paved the way for Miami to finish eighth in the AFC in rushing yards per game (112.6) and seventh in rushing yards per play (4.10). Prior to coming to Aggieland the first time, Turner coached offensive line at his alma mater of Boston College in 2007. Before serving in Chestnut Hill, Turner worked two seasons (2005-06) as offensive line coach at the University of Delaware. In 2006, Turner was assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator for the Fightin’ Blue Hens.

Turner’s background includes stops at Temple in 2003-04 as the offensive line coach as well as three years (2000-02) as the offensive line and run game coordinator for Harvard.

Turner spent one season as the offensive line coach for Louisiana Tech in 1999.
From 1994 through 1998, Turner coached at Northeastern University working with the offensive line and tight ends in 1994-95, before switching to running backs and special teams in 1996, and ending his tenure there as the defensive line and special teams in 1997 and 1998.

A native of Braintree, Massachusetts, Turner was a four-year letterman for Coach Jack Bicknell at Boston College as a fullback. He played in two bowl games, the Cotton and Hall of Fame. His senior season he was named a team captain.
After earning his degree in sociology in 1988 from Boston College, Turner began his coaching career at his high school alma mater of Braintree. He spent the 1989 season in London, England, as the offensive coordinator of the Kent Rams before serving in the United States Marine Corps as an infantry officer in Europe, the Middle East and Japan from 1990-94.

Turner is married and his wife’s name is Patricia. They have one son, Michael.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 10:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He was there from 08-11, so I'm afraid that he was part of Ogbuehi's development..

This does not sit well with me.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 10:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This does not sit well with me.

Ogbuehi would have just a freshman, in his association with Turner.  So, I can't really hang it all on Turner, for the way that Ogbuehi turned out. Heck, if Turner had stayed at A&M, Ogbuehi might have developed a spine, and learned how to use his gluteous maximus for more than just a landing pad.. Or, you never know, he might have encouraged the other guys to haze him to the point of just quitting the team!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This is bad

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 10:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ogbuehi would have just a freshman, in his association with Turner.  So, I can't really hang it all on Turner, for the way that Ogbuehi turned out.

The optimist in me says Jim Turner made Ogbuehi a beast — and he was tamed by the Piano Man’s music.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 10:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ogbuehi would have just a freshman, in his association with Turner.  So, I can't really hang it all on Turner, for the way that Ogbuehi turned out.

Ogbuehi did well enough to make it to the NFL where he personified Peter's Principle.

It bothers me more that Zac spoke of character in his presser and to me Turner does not represent what I would like to see on the coaching staff character wise

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 10:57 PM)Okeana Wrote: This is bad

Last ditch selections happen.  The good news is, the position can always be upgraded next year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jim Turner and Ben Martin both spent time under Mike Sherman and have served on staffs with Taylor.

Zac Taylor is building his staff for better or worse.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Isn't this the o-line coach who was involved with that fiasco in Miami? Didn't he bully one of his lineman with Incognito?
Reply/Quote
It's a letdown, but it is what it is, and you have to give the coach a chance. These are his guys. There was always the worry we'd be the Dolphins North. That's why I thought Lazor would stay.

Have to go back and watch some of those A&M lines. Find some hope.

On a side note about the Dolphins situation, I think Icognito was vindicated in hindsight.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Now I'm also reading he had questionable behavior at Texas A&M.
Reply/Quote
Shame that Taylor's first hire is a human p.o.s.
Reply/Quote
Not thrilled. 17th and 19th in YPC in Miami, and they gave up 58 sacks in 2013. Taylor worked with him in Miami, and he's not Paul Alexander. Other than that, I can't think of anything great to say. He also had the Incognito/Martin stuff happen under his watch.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 11:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's a letdown, but it is what it is, and you have to give the coach a chance. These are his guys. There was always the worry we'd be the Dolphins North. That's why I thought Lazor would stay.

Have to go back and watch some of those A&M lines. Find some hope.

On a side note about the Dolphins situation, I think Icognito was vindicated in hindsight.

Those dudes both had issues. Just on different sides of the fence. The latest from Incognito was this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/08/21/richie-incognito-arrested-funeral-home/1052288002/
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
First day and making bad decisions based on past relationships. Just what the media wants to see in Cincy. Another person with character issues. Strike one Coach Taylor.
Reply/Quote
I don't hold og against the guy. As much as I hated the pick, somebody (maybe this guy) made him effective enough to have og go as a first round pick.

I'm ok with this choice, but my issue is more that we seem to be moving towards becoming a dolphins team from a few years ago
Reply/Quote
Freakout

Let's see how he does before judging him. I am sure we do not have all the information about this guy.

We have to trust Taylor's judgment at this point.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote