Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Turner expected OL coach per PFT
(02-06-2019, 09:44 AM)Takedown Wrote: Agreed 100%. We simply don’t know as much as Taylor does about this guy. I expect Taylor to know what he’s doing here. Not only is the OL our weakest position on the team, but this guy has some bad rep surrounding him. I just can’t help but think Taylor is aware of that and knows what he’s doing. I think the best thing we can all do here is breathe and see what happens. I’m putting money on this OL being way better this season than the last two. Watch.

When you are a new coach installing a 100% new scheme with all new players having familiarity with the coaches teaching the scheme is key. Getting up to speed is key and being able to reference previous things that the person did or terminology is the quickest way to hit the ground running. This isn't Lazor installing a new offense after being here because he can relate new things back to what they used to do, this is trying to basically teach a whole new language to guys in a very short amount of time.

There is a reason everyone here has ties familiarity wise to Taylor, because he knows they will be able to get done what he wants to do. 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:45 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Turner isn't an unknown. He has a history of being a POS

It's language and actions of a dated hyper masculine mentality, it's a lot of the same stuff people say with their friends in private. It's not right to do in a college program or at a place of work, but it doesn't make him a POS. 20 years ago that was common place, some people changed with times others didn't quite get the memo. 

It also doesn't mean he can't do this job.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: It's language and actions of a dated hyper masculine mentality, it's a lot of the same stuff people say with their friends in private. It's not right to do in a college program or at a place of work, but it doesn't make him a POS. 20 years ago that was common place, some people changed with times others didn't quite get the memo. 

It also doesn't mean he can't do this job.

It shows his lack of ability of creating a supportive, positive environment for the players to learn. We wanted to change the culture after ML. And this is what we want it to look like? A guy who doesn't learn from mistakes? A guy who goes beyond his way to taunt and degrade people to get his point across? Hard pass for me.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This isn't the guy that was snortin' rails off that hooker's ass is it?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I can't speak for the guy's talents as an offensive line coach, but he comes across as a raging douchebag.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: This isn't the guy that was snortin' rails off that hooker's ass is it?

Ok, I change my stance now if so!  Hilarious Ninja
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Taylor is the one guy who did well out of all his friends, and now he is brining along all his old less-succesful friends along for the ride.

He needs to be hiring good coaches insteads of old family friends.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:56 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: This isn't the guy that was snortin' rails off that hooker's ass is it?

That was Chris Foerster. The OL Coach AFTER Turner. So I guess one could say “it could be worse”.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:58 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I can't speak for the guy's talents as an offensive line coach, but he comes across as a raging douchebag.

A lot of football coaches are, especially those in the offensive line realm. I know a former NFL offensive linemen and he has told me a bunch of stories like this, and they occurred at some of the "top organizations" in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
The over reaction in this thread is just amazingly amusing....
Reply/Quote
I think the reaction is just given what we know about the guy. You didn't expect better after all this talk about character, program, and culture? This hire goes against all of that.

I think that speaks more about you then anyone else in this thread.

If anything fans shouldn't be surprised. There was no staff lined up and it's almost mid February. So the pickings are slim, any coach we sign would likely not have a job if it wasn't for the Bengals, and MB is paying other assistant coaches so any coach we bring in will be cheap (and thus have some flaws).

Next year will be the year we can make changes to the staff, and bring in some good assistant coaches. We just need to get through this next season.

All Taylor has left right now is family and friends of the family. We'll have the worst coaching staff in the league this year, but this is year 1 of a 16 year plan so we must be patient.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:30 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I really don’t know anything about Sherman, but it appears we’re hiring all his family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherman is one of the best OL coaches outside of B. Callahan.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 10:00 AM)Au165 Wrote: A lot of football coaches are, especially those in the offensive line realm. I know a former NFL offensive linemen and he has told me a bunch of stories like this, and they occurred at some of the "top organizations" in the NFL. 

The Texas A&M incident wasnt really that bad.

He wasnt degrading women he was using bad one line puns to describe offensive line techniques. I bet 90% of the women who attended the seminar laughed and 10% were offended.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The term snowflake is coming to mind reading the reactions to this thread. I thought those rules for pass blocking were pretty funny. As for bullying??? I want our entire offensive line to be bullies..... mean and nasty bullies.. they just need to be pointed in the right direction and not at each other.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:31 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Trying to imagine how you get to the point where you’re threatening to shoot the staff at a funeral home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richie has mental illness folks.  Bipolar Disorders and Borderline Personality Disorders are found among NFL players.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Personally I'd take Alexander over this guy. He at least had some good lines in his time. Turner hasn't, and his linemen have been weak and not known to be very physical (which is why they struggled when drafted), a recipe for disaster in the AFCN.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:45 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Turner isn't an unknown. He has a history of being a POS

Inappropriate jokes means his judgment regarding social convention is questionable but the Bengals are not looking for Mother Theresa.  There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes.  

I do not think the Bengal's Front Office including figure head Mike Brown would sign off on any coach that was not fully vetted.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 10:28 AM)Synric Wrote: The Texas A&M incident wasnt really that bad.

He wasnt degrading women he was using bad one line puns to describe offensive line techniques. I bet 90% of the women who attended the seminar laughed and 10% were offended.

You're right Synric
He gave almost identical seminars in 2008 and 2011 at A&M with the same puns. But 2016 there was more social media that spread the "insensitivity" to the nation. And social warriors bound together to demand something be done about it. Even Coach Sumlin, who was there, said no one raised concerns while he was mingling in the crowd. Just the way life is now
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 10:31 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Richie has mental illness folks.  Bipolar Disorders and Borderline Personality Disorders are found among NFL players.  

Not to mention the fact that when he dies, I'd bet a lot of money on him having a massive amount of CTE.... got to be hard on the guy though, never being able to be himself because he's always incognito.....
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: People are funny, if I told you last off season we were going to fire Marvin Lewis and hire Zac Taylor people would have lost their minds, yet we are all excited now. Every "unknown" coach is unknown until they are known. Any coach Taylor brings in could be the next great coach when put into his vision or they could be a bust. People getting bent out of shape over getting name coaches or non name coaches and it's pointless. When Mike Zimmer arrived here he was run out of Atlanta after a horrible stint yet here he was one of the greatest defensive coaches we have ever seen in the organization. Jay Gruden was a nobody arena football coach when he got here, only getting the job because he was John's brother according to most people, yet he put together a solid stint here and got a HC job out of it.

The idea Taylor is "making bad decisions" just needs to stop. He had an intricate plan at the interview, one that took place knowing there was a chance he wouldn't be hired until after the SB. Do we really think the whole thing just disintegrated overnight? Crazy thought, maybe he is getting exactly who he wanted? Which would then mean that maybe he actually knows what he is doing?

Taylor is an unknown as a HC because he hasn't been one. Turner is known. Very known as an OLine coach.

And no one ran Zimmer out of ATL. He along with all of the staff was let go along when Petrino quit on the team.

Reply/Quote