Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jimmy Garappolo is a better backup than AJ Mccarron
I would take macaroni over any other backup QB today. One game does not mean you are great. Even Andy has good and bad days. The key is consistency and putting loses behind you. Flopzel turned out horrible and there was a lot of hype for him so stop the hype of Jimmy until he earns it.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 09:14 AM)GodFather Wrote: Billy B and company always makes his QB's look good. Remember the year Matt Cassel played when Brady was out for the year and they went 11-5? When he went to other teams he never played anything like he did when he was in the Pats system.

You are correct, it is the coach and the system.  Obviously Brady is a first ballot Hall of Fame player, but it doesn't seem to matter who they plug in at any position, it just works.  Especially if you give Belichick extra time.  He reminds me of Saban that way... if they have extra time to prepare for an opponent, you better watch out.
Reply/Quote
Nah AJ is a beast and is a superstar in the making he will make a fine franchise QB for someone else.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Not sure of the point of this thread.

Are you suggesting we do a trade with the Pats to secure Garappolo?
Reply/Quote
All these people saying Garrappolo is unproven because he's only won 1 game, yet McCarron has only won 2 games. Guess Jimmy G just needs to win this Sunday and he'll be "proven". Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:14 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Because Jimmy won one game?

You're delusional.

Grappalo only won because the Arizona Rookie Long Snapper snapped it too low and caused the placeholder and kicker to mess up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Who cares if Garopallo is better than McCarron? That does not mean that AJ is not one of the best back ups in the league.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Grappalo only won because the Arizona Rookie Long Snapper snapped it too low and caused the placeholder and kicker to mess up.

NO, Garappolo won because he has been involved in that team's system for a while, took all of the 1st team reps in preseason, and he has superior coaching.  That is why "he" won the game..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:12 AM)The Real Deal Wrote:  Garoppolo. 

or

(09-12-2016, 07:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Grappalo

or 

(09-12-2016, 07:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  Garopallo 

or

(09-12-2016, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:  Garappolo

Oh hell, who cares.  For once I have to agree with yellowxdiscipline

(09-12-2016, 10:58 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote:  Jimmy G 
Reply/Quote
I'd say they are both pretty good backups. Not sure we can say who is better just yet.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who cares if Garopallo is better than McCarron?  That does not mean that AJ is not one of the best back ups in the league.

But Garappolo is better.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 08:19 PM)Utts Wrote: I'd say they are both pretty good backups. Not sure we can say who is better just yet.

Yup. Way too early to tell if either will amount to anything.

Tons of QBs have looked good for a game or 3, then wound up flopping elsewhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Westerman is better than the Patriots backup guard. So BOoM! There I said it.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 09:11 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: There I said it.

I think he's had better coaching.
Reply/Quote
Ehh almost any backup QB would shine on the Patriots. They just have schematic discipline.
Reply/Quote
Jimmy Gorapolopoplopolo won in AZ when Dalton couldn't. Maybe we can package McCarron and Dalton for him, straight up? Oh nuts to it, let's sign Tate for a day and toss him in to sweeten the deal!
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Jimmy Gorapolopoplopolo won in AZ when Dalton couldn't. Maybe we can package McCarron and Dalton for him, straight up? Oh nuts to it, let's sign Tate for a day and toss him in to sweeten the deal!

I know this is tongue in cheek, but Jimmy G's defense didn't give up 34 points.

Andy was fantastic that night. 31 points wasn't enough.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:36 AM)Whacked Wrote: I'm pretty upset learning that the Pats will still be the Pats when Brady retires in a few years. Sad

Just wait....Once the league sees Wentz and Garappolo a few times and they adjust to take away their strength, we will see how they respond.  People like Jaworski were calling Kaep potentially the best QB of all time...not so much any more. 

I also think AZ blew this game more than NE won it...had a FG to win it that they missed as time expired.  Pats defense was very good at what so many thought would be the best offense in the league. 
Reply/Quote
Jimmy Garoppolo is a good player in his own right but the Patriots' offensive line would make any quarterback look like a Hall of Fame candidate. Remember Matt Cassel?

Anyway, the New England offensive line coach is Dante Scarnecchia who is the best mentor at that position I've seen since Jim McNally.  Against Arizona, the Patriots had some backup linemen in the game but Dante had them ready to go because there is a secret to New England's success:  They have a set scheme and find players who fit that scheme.  I've never seen an offensive line that is so consistent year after year.

Garoppolo is good but without Scarnecchia he would be toast.  Let's give credit to the correct Italian. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 01:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not getting into the basic point of the thread, but in fairness....
-Cassell had Randy Moss and Wes Welker.
-Garappolo had Julian Edelman and Chris Hogan. (Remember Gronk was out.)
Patriots also played the easiest schedule in the league in 08 as well.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote