Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Dilemma
Good Luck Matt. Hope it works out for you.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 08:51 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Just like people piss on the Bengals for not winning a playoff game, I say there is only 1 winner every year, 2nd place is the 1st loser, they're all in the same boat.

Then you are going to live your life calling yourself and your children and friends "losers".

With an attitude like that you are sure to have a happy life. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
you could possibly see what your worth with your current department...by applying right now for the new position.

if you haven't had your review yet and they see you applied for the new position, well maybe you're worth a lot to them, enough to match or even go slightly above the pay grade of what the new position would be..

it all depends on how you feel about your job security there..certainly don't take a risk if there is a way you can lose out in both spots and end up not working there..
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 08:52 AM)rungiorun25 Wrote: you could possibly see what your worth with your current department...by applying right now for the new position.

if you haven't had your review yet and they see you applied for the new position, well maybe you're worth a lot to them, enough to match or even go slightly above the pay grade of what the new position would be..

it all depends on how you feel about your job security there..certainly don't take a risk if there is a way you can lose out in both spots and end up not working there..

See, this was part of my thinking. I came in Monday and told our management above my level of my application to that job. Later that same day I had my eval. It sang my praises, but there was nothing other than "you're awesome" to acknowledge my commitment to the department.

Over the past year my direct reports have doubled and my duties have increased outside of just that as well. My job description should be completely different than what it is, but no effort has been made to even accurately reflect in my employee work profile what my job actually entails. They made me feel much better about my decision to try to leave this department as I feel I am undervalued.

Now I'm just waiting for a call/email about an interview.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
If you're happy, your balance between work and home life is good, you are hitting your financial goals and think any of those will dramatically change for the worse if you switch then stay. If changing will challenge you and not upset the three areas above, then change.

Many people will ask, well how can making 15k more be worse?

You get into a mindset of thinking you can spend more.
It pushes into the next tax bracket and the raise isn't as much as you thought.
The new job is X more miles away and you're blowing a lot of your raise through the tailpipe.

... in other words there could be several reasons.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I hope everything works out Bels.
Reply/Quote
Achievement unlocked: Interview obtained

I was a little concerned, it had been a while. But apparently they were just working out a way to torture their candidates. I have to give a 15-20 minute presentation for the interview, on a topic I have no experience in, based off of a powerpoint they sent me.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Awesome. Good luck man.
Reply/Quote
10% is the biggest raise you can get, but that's under normal circumstance, right? Could you convince your boss that this year wasn't under normal circumstance since you saw a significant increase in responsibilities and workload?

Today, you have more experience and a more impressive resume (since you took on more responsibilities at your current position) then you had yesterday, so why not see your pay reflect your improved qualifications?
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
What kind of work do you do, Belsnickel? A 10% merit increase is insane!

Nonetheless, wondering if you've already had your interview. If so, how'd it go?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 06:45 PM)6andcounting Wrote: 10% is the biggest raise you can get, but that's under normal circumstance, right? Could you convince your boss that this year wasn't under normal circumstance since you saw a significant increase in responsibilities and workload?

Today, you have more experience and a more impressive resume (since you took on more responsibilities at your current position) then you had yesterday, so why not see your pay reflect your improved qualifications?

The standard excuse of it isn't in the budget would come up.

(10-13-2015, 07:47 AM)basballguy Wrote: What kind of work do you do, Belsnickel? A 10% merit increase is insane!

Nonetheless, wondering if you've already had your interview. If so, how'd it go?

That's not a typical merit increase. That kind of raise is a "your job has significantly changed". Raises in general are few and far between for my industry, I am a public servant. Specifically, I am an accountant for a public university.

Interview is Thursday. I have prepped some, but I have two exams between now and then, so...

Reply/Quote
Update: I was told I am too awesome for the job.

They were extremely impressed with my interpersonal skills, my background, my initiative, my leadership qualities, everything about me. The hiring manager's words were "I wanted to be selfish with this, but we had to look at the big picture of the Finance area as a whole and there is more potential in you than is needed for this position." She talked me up to the VP and even said to me she could see herself working for me.

I was of course thankful for her compliments and all but all I can think now is "how about telling people that they need to pay me more then!?"
Reply/Quote
Best wishes to you bud!
Reply/Quote
Sorry it didn't work out mate.

I'm sure the expierence was worth it however.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 06:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Update: I was told I am too awesome for the job.

They were extremely impressed with my interpersonal skills, my background, my initiative, my leadership qualities, everything about me. The hiring manager's words were "I wanted to be selfish with this, but we had to look at the big picture of the Finance area as a whole and there is more potential in you than is needed for this position." She talked me up to the VP and even said to me she could see herself working for me.

I was of course thankful for her compliments and all but all I can think now is "how about telling people that they need to pay me more then!?"
Everything happens for a reason. 

Don't be afraid to apply for the next big job that you don't quite feel qualified for.
Put their compliments to the test.
You may be pleasantly surprised. 
Reply/Quote