Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow
. . . apparently he's a Liberal.

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
(04-24-2020, 07:53 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: . . . apparently he's a Liberal.

I find it amazing how things like being for sensible behaviour in Corona times, against guns in stadiums and racial stereotypes and pro believing scientists over political hacks is considered a liberal stance.
These are just reasonable stances.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-25-2020, 01:11 PM)hollodero Wrote: I find it amazing how things like being for sensible behaviour in Corona times, against guns in stadiums and racial stereotypes and pro believing scientists over political hacks is considered a liberal stance.
These are just reasonable stances.

Yes. so we agree then.  Liberal.
(04-24-2020, 07:53 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: . . . apparently he's a Liberal.

Seems like a wonderful guy and an excellent quarterback.

Sad that I have to hate him now, through no fault of his own.
(04-25-2020, 02:28 PM)Dill Wrote: Seems like a wonderful guy and an excellent quarterback.

Sad that I have to hate him now, through no fault of his own.

Lots of poor college kids are liberal.

He'll be a millionaire pretty soon.  Check back with him then.
Sounds like a good dude based on some of his tweets/retweets
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(04-25-2020, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lots of poor college kids are liberal.

Maybe...he is going to be bonding with a lot of guys who came from some less than privileged backgrounds.  I'm not sure how athletes go as far as politics and money.  Or maybe he works his ass off and earns a fortune and starts identifying with someone like Trump who never showed an iota of discipline and was born richer than he will ever be.

Tax brackets change everything, I guess.

EDIT - Trump is probably a bad example because he doesn't seem to embody or represent a political party. Once he's out of office I fully believe he's going to take his followers with him and there will be a segment of the population that just follows his tweets for the rest of his/their lives.
(04-25-2020, 11:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe...he is going to be bonding with a lot of guys who came from some less than privileged backgrounds.  I'm not sure how athletes go as far as politics and money.  Or maybe he works his ass off and earns a fortune and starts identifying with someone like Trump who never showed an iota of discipline and was born richer than he will ever be.

Tax brackets change everything, I guess.

EDIT -  Trump is probably a bad example because he doesn't seem to embody or represent a political party.  Once he's out of office I fully believe he's going to take his followers with him and there will be a segment of the population that just follows his tweets for the rest of his/their lives.

Not meant to derail the thread, but get ready for the biggest f'ing gaslighting job once he is out of office with all of the republicans that will be claiming that they were never for him and Trump wasn't actually a republican and all sorts of bullshit. 
(04-25-2020, 11:29 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Not meant to derail the thread, but get ready for the biggest f'ing gaslighting job once he is out of office with all of the republicans that will be claiming that they were never for him and Trump wasn't actually a republican and all sorts of bullshit. 

It occurred to me that it might be worthy of a new thread.

We just saw Joe Burrow in his mom and dad's house the other night... I'mma say it's a stretch to think he was ever a poor college kid. Even if he grew up in poverty, he went to Ohio State and LSU... He would get by. There's a pretty big hippie and former hippie delegation in and around Athens. Some Confederate flags in those hills too though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
I like this kid more every day.

Is that along the same lines as the second you get your student loans paid off and now you can start saving up money and investing it, the urge to vote for Bernie Sanders coincidentally fades? Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Lots of conservative are behind the quarantine and most are for food banks. Their actual preferred method of taking care of the poor. I admit I only watched two minutes of this non-sensual video and I couldn’t care less what Joe’s politics are. The NFL is like 70% black. The vast majority of black people are Democrats. If you are concerned with who athletes vote for, you’re kind of missing the point of sports.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-26-2020, 05:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Lots of conservative are behind the quarantine and most are for food banks. Their actual preferred method of taking care of the poor. I admit I only watched two minutes of this non-sensual video and I couldn’t care less what Joe’s politics are. The NFL is like 70% black. The vast majority of black people are Democrats. If you are concerned with who athletes vote for, you’re kind of missing the point of sports.

Speak for yourself. Ninja
(04-26-2020, 06:13 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Speak for yourself. Ninja

Which part made you tingle?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-25-2020, 11:29 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Not meant to derail the thread, but get ready for the biggest f'ing gaslighting job once he is out of office with all of the republicans that will be claiming that they were never for him and Trump wasn't actually a republican and all sorts of bullshit. 

That's an interesting prediction. I think it might not happen right away, but over the course of a year or two and only for a portion of the Republican party, maybe not even half.

Still, there will be a voting record for that group and other digital record hard to escape.

But Trump's "base" won't go away and their judgment will not improve.  For a portion of that base, he will remain a distorted touchstone, as Reagan is to the whole Republican party today. The crazy will be forgotten or wrongly imputed to others. And it will be easier to forget because we won't be hearing it every day in news conferences. So there will still be a contingent of Republican pols trying to ape Trump and trade on his name for years to come.

Unless Trump somehow folds and "betrays" his base, they will stick by him and Hannity will maintain and shape his legacy every evening. Remember Hannity, the guy who called everyone who questioned George W. Bush's Iraq fiasco a "traitor" back in 2003, but now thinks it may have been engineered by the "deep state"?  That is the kind of history we'll be getting, and it will keep a significant portion of the base ramped up and voting in bad, obstructive Congressmen for the foreseeable future. Whoever can pull their strings ....
(04-26-2020, 05:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Lots of conservative are behind the quarantine and most are for food banks. Their actual preferred method of taking care of the poor. I admit I only watched two minutes of this non-sensual video and I couldn’t care less what Joe’s politics are. The NFL is like 70% black. The vast majority of black people are Democrats. If you are concerned with who athletes vote for, you’re kind of missing the point of sports.

Seemed sensual to me.

Nervous

Usually I would agree that an athletes' political viewpoint is totally irrelevant. I have to admit though I'm relieved Burrow is not a MAGA guy. Makes it a bit easier for me to like him. It shouldn't be that way, but I can't quite help it.

Aside from that, I do agree with what you said... being pro-quarantine or pro-feeding kids should not count as being liberal. It counts as being decent. The examples of MAGA guys undermining the quarantine and all the social cuts the Trump admin proposes every year doesn't help though.

(04-27-2020, 12:39 AM)Dill Wrote: Unless Trump somehow folds and "betrays" his base, they will stick by him

And if he betrays his base they will stick with him as well. Wasn't there one time where Trump was asked point blank if his cuts don't hurt his voters the most and he just said yes? Who cares.

To unnecessarily bring some Austrian history into that, our right-wing populist was caught on tape trying to sell our media, our water and our public contracts to a Russian oligarch and many folks still back him 100%. He's making a comeback now and might very well topple his former party.

Once people go full right-wing populism, only a few come back.
(04-27-2020, 12:39 AM)Dill Wrote: That's an interesting prediction. I think it might not happen right away, but over the course of a year or two and only for a portion of the Republican party, maybe not even half.

Still, there will be a voting record for that group and other digital record hard to escape.

But Trump's "base" won't go away and their judgment will not improve.  For a portion of that base, he will remain a distorted touchstone, as Reagan is to the whole Republican party today. The crazy will be forgotten or wrongly imputed to others. And it will be easier to forget because we won't be hearing it every day in news conferences. So there will still be a contingent of Republican pols trying to ape Trump and trade on his name for years to come.

Unless Trump somehow folds and "betrays" his base, they will stick by him and Hannity will maintain and shape his legacy every evening. Remember Hannity, the guy who called everyone who questioned George W. Bush's Iraq fiasco a "traitor" back in 2003, but now thinks it may have been engineered by the "deep state"?  That is the kind of history we'll be getting, and it will keep a significant portion of the base ramped up and voting in bad, obstructive Congressmen for the foreseeable future. Whoever can pull their strings ....

Trump betrays his base everyday. The ones 8m the red hats anyway.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(04-27-2020, 11:33 AM)hollodero Wrote: And if he betrays his base they will stick with him as well. Wasn't there one time where Trump was asked point blank if his cuts don't hurt his voters the most and he just said yes? Who cares.

(04-27-2020, 01:31 PM)jason Wrote: Trump betrays his base everyday. The ones 8m the red hats anyway.

Guess I need to be a little clearer as to what counts as "betray" here.

It's not about "cuts" and the kind of rational policy evaluations made by normal voters, things Reporters and liberals pay attention to, but not Trump voters. They'll always be fine with him cutting Obamacare, if they believe that reduces services to immigrants. 

What Trump does for his supporters is publicly "perform" their anger at minorities believed to get preferred treatment and foreign parasites believed to suck away the hard-earned tax dollars of real Americans, through the agency of liberals in government. The more the performance is unfiltered by decency and awareness of policy consequence, the better.

"Betray" here would mean stop insulting minorities and liberal "fake news" reporters, to acknowledge that the NYT and WaPo are far more trustworthy news sources than Fox. Add an announcement that the wall was a bad idea followed by a plan for a path to citizenship for DACA recipients. A speech about the need to include Muslims in our communities, government and intel services would be a deal breaker too, coupled with an apology for his insensitive treatment of victims of assault. Acknowledgement of the scientific consensus on anthropogenic climate change and policies to address that problem, regulation to protect the environment, and willingness to work with the international community on this issue, while less toxic than abandoning the wall, would also signal betrayal to millions who've learned to associate science with liberals across a number of fronts. And what if he were to suddenly "respect" a woman's right to choose while defining his pro-life stance as a personal choice?  From that moment on, Cyrus is Caesar to the Evangelicals in his base.

Then if he shoots someone on 5th avenue, he's on his own.

I.e., "betray" here means betray in a tribal sense, betrayal of a grievance-based identity, not some silly liberal complaint in the NYT about cutting taxes for the rich and healthcare for the poor, or costly tariffs, or continued hemorrhaging of jobs overseas at the expense of Trump's base, or other "fake news"--all of which only liberals would be tracking with their "data" and defining as betrayal.