Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow 1st 2 games is similar to another SEC QB rookie year
In 1999 the Cleveland Browns drafted Tim Couch number 1 overall.

He had a HC who had no business being a HC.
Ty Detmer gets hurt and they put Couch behind a oline made of cotton candy.
What happens. Couch gets hit the most times of any NFL qb that year.
Couch got beat up.so had his career got shortened from the beating.
Why did he get beat up. Cause his front office failed to build a oline to protect him.

Burrow can say in public he likes being hit its football. But all it takes is one hit to.the knee or elbow
And it's good bye franchise QB.no QB enjoys getting hit over and over.
Reply/Quote
Do we need a thread for each highly touted QB who got hurt from having a bad O-line? I’m gonna go make an RG3 one.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Do we need a thread for each highly touted QB who got hurt from having a bad O-line? I’m gonna go make an RG3 one.

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. Just say Andrew Luck and be done with it. It’s the best and most recent example.

And I don’t think anyone that follows this team is unaware of what could happen if things aren’t fixed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: In 1999 the Cleveland Browns drafted Tim Couch number 1 overall.

Why did he get beat up. Cause his front office  failed to build a oline to protect him.

Burrow can say in public he likes being hit its football. But all it takes is one hit to.the knee or elbow
Big, big difference--Couch was scared to death in the pocket and Joe ain't.  Also, Couch was just not that good.

I'm not saying go on and let Joe continue to get beat up but you're comparing apples to elephants.    So, sorry but no, just no.  Can we keep comparisons to the somewhat reasonable?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Do we need a thread for each highly touted QB who got hurt from having a bad O-line? I’m gonna go make an RG3 one.

RG3 didn't have a bad line, though. 

He just got hurt because he took too many hits while running (120 rushes)/refusing to go out of bounds/refusing to slide... plus holding onto the ball to try to make a play. Then Shannahan refused to force RG3 to sit out the playoffs with an injured knee and let him play hurt, making his knee injury worse than it was.

That year, Alfred Morris ran for 1,600 yards at 4.8ypc behind that line.

- - - - - - - -

That said, with all that initial talk of the future of Luck v RG3 with them going 1 and 2... who the hell would guess that it looks like Ryan Tannehill would come out the victor? Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: RG3 didn't have a bad line, though. 

He just got hurt because he took too many hits while running (120 rushes)/refusing to go out of bounds/refusing to slide... plus holding onto the ball to try to make a play. Then Shannahan refused to force RG3 to sit out the playoffs with an injured knee and let him play hurt, making his knee injury worse than it was.

That year, Alfred Morris ran for 1,600 yards at 4.8ypc

- - - - - - - -

That said, with all that initial talk of the future of Luck v RG3 with them going 1 and 2... who the hell would guess that it looks like Ryan Tannehill would come out the victor? Lol

With that in mind, injuries will happen with bad lines as well as good ones. Depends on the QB and types of hits they take.

All this talk after two games to me is somewhat humorous. The preemptive fear of losing our newly found franchise QB is so Bengal. Not saying we don’t need to fix the line, not at all, don’t hear me wrong folks.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: RG3 didn't have a bad line, though. 

That year, Alfred Morris ran for 1,600 yards at 4.8ypc behind that line.

- - - - - - - -

I remember when the Bengals went up against RGIII.  Shanahan was running the damn triple option, which answers the question whether or not a HC will get his QB killed for the sake of keeping his job. 

One of our LB's--I don't remember which one--put a bone crushing hit on him that made the whole world say he would never last like that, which is exactly how it went.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:45 PM)McC Wrote: I remember when the Bengals went up against RGIII.  Shanahan was running the damn triple option, which answers the question whether or not a HC will get his QB killed for the sake of keeping his job. 

One of our LB's--I don't remember which one--put a bone crushing hit on him that made the hole world say he would never last like that, which is exactly how it went.

I remember Dunlap levelling him, and forcing a fumble as well.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:48 PM)jason Wrote: I remember Dunlap levelling him, and forcing a fumble as well.

The triple option...in the NFL...with your prized rookie QB and supposed savior of your franchise, no less.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:30 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: With that in mind, injuries will happen with bad lines as well as good ones. Depends on the QB and types of hits they take.

All this talk after two games to me is somewhat humorous. The preemptive fear of losing our newly found franchise QB is so Bengal. Not saying we don’t need to fix the line, not at all, don’t hear me wrong folks.

Yeah, the talk after two games about his career being ruined by the OL AND the talk of him being a franchise QB is both humorous. Here's some recent high first round pick rookie QBs who started early in their rookie season that are comparable/better....

AFTER FIRST 2  CAREER STARTS (Rookie year only)
Joe Burrow: 61.9% completion, 509 yards (5.2 YPA), 3 TD/1 INT, 81.5 QB Rating

Baker Mayfield: 59.4% completion, 496 yards (7.8 YPA), 2 TD/2 INT, 81.2 QB Rating
Sam Darnold: 66.1% completion, 532 yards (7.4 YPA), 3 TD/3 INT, 88.9 QB Rating
Deshaun Watson: 64.9% completion, 426 yards (7.5 YPA), 2 TD/2 INT, 84.4 QB Rating
Carson Wentz: 60.6% completion, 468 yards (7.4 YPA), 3 TD/3 INT, 94.1 QB Rating
Jameis Winston: 55.6% completion, 417 yards (7.2 YPA), 3 TD/2 INT, 83.6 QB Rating
Marcus Mariota: 65.4% completion, 466 yards (9.0 YPA), 6 TD/0 INT, 132.4 QB Rating
EJ Manuel: 68.2% completion, 446 yards (7.0 YPA), 3 TD/1 INT, 95.9 QB Rating

2 games is simply meaningless to make any predictions on the future. 2 seasons is more like it. (Though predictions aside and regardless the QB, they do need to improve that OL.)

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:45 PM)McC Wrote: I remember when the Bengals went up against RGIII.  Shanahan was running the damn triple option, which answers the question whether or not a HC will get his QB killed for the sake of keeping his job. 

One of our LB's--I don't remember which one--put a bone crushing hit on him that made the hole world say he would never last like that, which is exactly how it went.

I am 99% sure that you're remembering Michael Johnson. He hadn't bulked up yet because Marvin dicked around with him for the first 3 years of his career by flip-flopping on making him a OLB or a DE. 2012 was the first year he prepared during the offseason to be a DE, and actually played the regular season as a DE, but he was still on the leaner side.

He had 3 sacks and 7 QB hits against RG3 that game. It was brutal, and got him AFC DPoW.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I am 99% sure that you're remembering Michael Johnson. He hadn't bulked up yet because Marvin dicked around with him for the first 3 years of his career by flip-flopping on making him a OLB or a DE. 2012 was the first year he prepared during the offseason to be a DE, and actually played the regular season as a DE, but he was still on the leaner side.

He had 3 sacks and 7 QB hits against RG3 that game.

Okay.  I flinched in my living room on that hit.  It was out on the edge, right?  Just absolutely planted him.

Reply/Quote

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4956349]

- Shanahan, probably

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 05:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4956349]

- Shanahan, probably
And didn't it turn out that the very act of getting RGIII mangled was the very thing that cost him his job in the long run?

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 05:07 PM)McC Wrote: And didn't it turn out that the very act of getting RGIII mangled was the very thing that cost him his job in the long run?

Believe so.

Reply/Quote
Shanahan used RGIII properly. Running those option plays is how a qb like Griffin wins.

His fault for not sliding more and getting out of bounds quicker
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: In 1999 the Cleveland Browns drafted Tim Couch number 1 overall.

Why did he get beat up. Cause his front office  failed to build a oline to protect him.

Burrow had more completions, yards, and TD's against the Browns than Couch had in his first two starts combined.

Couch put up numbers in college in a one read offense.  His struggles in the pro's were as much about reading defenses and going through his progressions as it was his OL.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 05:07 PM)McC Wrote: And didn't it turn out that the very act of getting RGIII mangled was the very thing that cost him his job in the long run?

Iirc, the issue was more that Shanahan didn't want RGIII to begin with.
Reply/Quote

Lets think about.. if you are picking your franchise QB with 1st to probably 4th pick.. that means you were not good.. We act like Burrow is some china doll.. .. can't be touched.. might break.. blah blah blah.. it is football...   Many rookies QBs with high draft picks are coming into a bad team with a weak line.. if we are that worried than he should sit on the bench till the line gets better, would that please you that are so afraid of contact. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 07:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: Iirc, the issue was more that Shanahan didn't want RGIII to begin with.

Ah, so that's why he tried to get him kilt.

Reply/Quote