Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow/ Baker Mayfield rookie year
Been listening and reading to the national media about
Joe Burrow and the offense he will inherit.
Read some article about how the Bengals already have
Done wrong cause they didnt draft 12 olineman and sign 25 all pro free agents.
Then I thought back 2 years ago when Baker Mayfield was a rookie
With the Browns. Here is where the media has short term
Memory and a bit of built in negativity with the Bengals
Nowhere did I see or read how Baker Mayfield was going
To a doom gloom situation with the Browns
Does anyone remember who the starting OTs were for the
Browns that year ?
It was Desmond Harrison and Chris Hubbard. Then Greg Robinson
At LT. Joel Bitonio is the LG. JC Tretter C.
Both LTs are out of the league now.
Yet that year Mayfield threw for 27 TD and 14 INT. 3700 YDS
Joe Burrow can reach those numbers.it's attainable
Burrow is inheriting a more talented offense then the 2018 Browns
Burrow has a coaching staff going into year 2
Mayfield went through 2 OCs that year
Just some food for thought
Reply/Quote
The thing is there were already signs in that rookie year for Mayfield that he was not all that. We even looked at it in this forum. 10 of his TD passes were against us and the Falcons - the two worst defenses that year and two of the worst in recent league history. Meanwhile the INTs were a problem even that season (for example in the finale he looked like an idiot playing the Rats) and in this last season he was awful, giving Jameis Winston a run for the Human Turnover Machine title.

Burrow is going into an offense with more WR and RB talent but a shakier OL. They big key is going to be scheme and Burrow's touch on his passes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yep, the OL is going to determine a lot of Burrows success year 1. As for Mayfield, he's a loser. He's P-Whipped and a jackass that will not last much longer in this division. He's too focused on the wrong things. Wuss!

Reply/Quote
Well they DID say that Cleveland reached for Mayfield. It's pretty much understood that Baker was walking into a shit show.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If Mayfield can throw for 27 with that offense then Burrow
Can do the same with better talent and scheme
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 08:35 PM)impactplaya Wrote: If Mayfield can throw for 27 with that offense then Burrow
Can do the same with better talent and scheme

I think that was your bottom-line and I agree wholeheartedly.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The only advantage that Mayfield has over Burrow is that he never has to plan for a road trip to Cleveland.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 07:08 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Been listening and reading to the national media about
Browns that year ?
Burrow is  inheriting a more talented offense then the 2018 Browns

Hard to read and comprehend the wall of gibberish with no structure..  Arrrgh!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 10:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hard to read and comprehend the wall of gibberish with no structure..  Arrrgh!

This. I’ve asked the OP before why he writes the way he does, and I didn’t get an answer. He seems like a decent poster, but I have to admit, I often skim over a lot of his posts due to the weird structure.

Reply/Quote
Hopefully he plays nothing like Baker and is nothing like Baker, so far the signs point to that's true.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 10:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hard to read and comprehend the wall of gibberish with no structure..  Arrrgh!

You have to be accepting of all levels of writing, being a sports fan. I consider it some form of his own poetic style. We could all learn something from it.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 07:08 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Been listening and reading to the national media about
Browns that year ?
Burrow is  inheriting a more talented offense then the 2018 Browns

Greg Robinson is out of the league because he smuggled 300 pounds of pot over the border, he would be on a roster right now if not. As to his skill he is probably a high end back up low end starter. Bitonio was better than last year Michael Jordan, we will see about this years but I would guess he's still better. Tretter is far and away better than Hopkins and the right side of the line is probably about the same.

As to Mayfield's performance, it was a product of him stat padding against the worst teams in the league. He did something similar this year to look halfway defense, in reality he has not been very good his whole career against top half of the league defenses outside of one or two games a year. Can Burrow do that? Probably. Will we play a bunch of bottom half of the league defenses? Not sure.
Reply/Quote
2018 Browns O-line was very strong up the middle with Zeitler and Pro Bowl OG Joel Bitonio. Right now those two guys are way better than anyone we have seen play on our O-line.

I am assumimg Jonah will be very good, but if he isn't then our line could be a dumpster fire. I also like Jordans potential, but haven't seen it on the field yet from him.
Reply/Quote
I am just looking forward to seeing Joe Burrow play.

That article on arm strength and decision making speed has my HYPED for this man (Even more so than previously).
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 09:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 2018 Browns O-line was very strong up the middle with Zeitler and Pro Bowl OG Joel Bitonio.  Right now those two guys are way better than anyone we have seen play on our O-line.

I am assumimg Jonah will be very good, but if he isn't then our line could be a dumpster fire.  I also like Jordans potential, but haven't seen it on the field yet from him.

I just find it amusing idiots,like Stephen A Smith weren't exactly losing their minds over Mayfield when he 
Went to Cleveland 
Mind you the Browns franchise has been a definition of failure since their return 
Yet Burrow lands,in Cincinnati a team that has done 10x more than the Browns and the doom gloom 
Is in full bloom 
The narrative that the Bengals are this franchise where there is no hope is really ridiculous 
At least Mel Kiper was going to bat for the Bengals,

I will take the Bengas current offense over that 2018 Browns offense anyday. 
How many playoff games did Joe Thomas play in....how about Bitonio or Zeitler ?
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what I really expect this year to be honest. For starters, I don't think the off season is going to be that extensive, so hopefully Burrow's legendary football IQ will allow him to get the offense in his head. Hopefully that translates to the field.

That being said, I'm just hoping for steady progress from the team this year. If they can end the year with Burrow looking like a seasoned vet, it will set things up very nicely for the future.
Reply/Quote

I don't mind it too much but I just tend too
Skim past posts like that because it is slightly
Annoying. I figure it is just that persons way of trying to make
Their posts stand out or maybe trying to be
A bit different who knows?

Impact seems like an okay poster with
Interesting thoughts when you can
Read them. So I guess it is
What it is.

Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 10:22 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I am just looking forward to seeing Joe Burrow play.

That article on arm strength and decision making speed has my HYPED for this man (Even more so than previously).

Thanks for sharing, that was a great read.
Reply/Quote
Mayfield wasn't expected to start in year 1. The Browns traded for Tyrod Taylor that offseason, and announced him as the starter before camp even started. The only reason Mayfield ended up taking over so early in the season was because Taylor went down in week 3.

So if you're wondering why you didn't hear more on what he was walkiing into right away, that probably had a lot to do with it.

Also, I really haven't seen a single "doom and gloom" write-up on the expectations for Joe Burrow in 2020. I saw a recent article which bemoaned our lack of investment in improving our OL.

Now you can see both sides of this; Yes, our OL has a lot of questions marks. In a perfect world we would have done more to shore up the group. But, like many have said, a 2-14 team is going to have a lot of holes. So many in fact, that you can't address them all in a single off-season.

I really do think some of you take much of what is written way too personally. It almost reminds of that saying in regards to poker players that they only remember the bad beats. Many here go out of their way to remember only the negative things said, focusing only on defending perceived slights, while forgetting the fact they probably followed very little of what was actually written about other teams players.

Fwiw, the very first thing I pulled up on a google search for Baker Mayfield 2018 Browns expectations produced the following...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Hue Jackson claims Mayfield is on schedule in his development, he will not even be close to ready to light the league on fire in 2018. Because of the addition of veteran quarterback Tyrod Taylor, do not expect a Mayfield appearance until after Week 10.

The 2018 season for Mayfield will be a bumpy one. He does possess rare elusiveness and escapability in the pocket, making his playmaking ability his strongest attribute. Mayfield was miles ahead of most other first-round quarterbacks in this category.

In his limited playing time next year, there will be plenty of highlight reel touchdown throws, jaw-dropping sack evasions, and potentially even some fourth quarter comebacks.

Playmaking, however, is not enough to win football games. Browns fans should expect a significant amount of growing pains. There will be ill-advised interceptions. There will be forced throws into tight coverage.

And there will be a lot of confusion during play calling and reading the NFL defenses in front of him.

Statistically, his throwing numbers will be a bit inflated. From a trade with the Dolphins, the Browns brought in a young and talented Jarvis Landry, and he will be bailing out Mayfield quite often.

David Njoku is still developing, but will take a big step forward in 2018. If Josh Gordon stays on the field, he will give Mayfield plenty of extra yards from YAC.

Mayfield will also have a deep running back corps he can lean on with Carlos Hyde and Nick Chubb pounding it between the tackles, and Duke Johnson hauling in catches out of the backfield.

While the times when Mayfield will wow the crowd will excite fans for the future, you do have to remember how stunted he is by his physical traits, and the team he is playing for.

His 2018 could look a lot like Johnny Manziel‘s rookie year: Plenty of excitement, but too much disappointment.

Reply/Quote