Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Burrow Impacts Every Room
Hey Guys, what a great draft so far! I wanted to create a thread about the impact of Joe Burrow and how it expands far beyond just the QB room. We often say that these elite players elevate the team around them. Here is how I see Joe's influence making each room (and certain key players) better. This post will be full of optimism, sorry guys! I can only hope that some of the following will be true.

I've watched endless interviews and pressers of everything Joe Burrow and what I've learned is that his leadership is what has gotten him here today. His personality brings out the most in his teammates and I can't see that changing here. Everyone who has interacted with Joe glows with appreciation for him. I see that impact being the biggest benefit to his arrival to our franchise. Without further ado...

The O-lineman (this is the big one)
A great QB can inspire his teammates to 'have their back'. Joe understands this. The first thing Joe did in his Heisman speech was name each of his O-lineman and appreciate all they had done to get him there. They were NOT forgotten. A QBs relationship with his hogmollies is ever important and Joe will begin to develop a bromance with guys like Jonah Williams immediately.. It's easier to defend a guy you hold dear to your heart IMO. Additionally, In Joe's senior year, he was asked to direct the protections in what was majority a 5 man front. This meant that Joe 1) has the intelligence to direct blocking schemes to better protect himself and 2) has the trust of his lineman to follow their commanders orders for the best results. There will be greater confidence amongst that group in the protection schemes once Joe has acclimated himself to what they are doing. Lastly, and this is the big one, Joe can mask the deficiencies when they do inevitably make mistakes. I am (and still am) a huge Dalton homer, however, I recognize his weaknesses. Andy is a snap and throw type of QB, he doesn't do well in improv situations. Sure, he launched that bomb to Tate, and he there was that sweet babyhawk play, but the amount of these plays are too few and far between. Go watch Joe, you'll see his ability to shift in pocket, step up or roll-out is his greatest tool on the field. This ability can mask a lines bad play and will make a guy like Bobby Hart 50% more 'efficient' due to the fact that Joe can feel the pressure coming quickly and adjust his base to make a play. In theory, the line should look much better next year, thanks to Joe.

The wide reliever group (inspiring new and old)
We all feel it, Andy Dalton has gotten a bit stale around here. I personally feel it has taken an effect on AJ Green and I don't believe that newer players (particularly John Ross) have confidence in Andy to do what he needs to do to put them in the best position. It isn't necessarily fair, but these younger guys have been conditioned to know that Dalton is not a playoff king and is as average as they come... In comes Joe, who is POLARIZING. AJ Green might not realize it now, but as camp plays out and he becomes familiar with Joe, he will be rejuvenated. Barring health concerns, I see these guys gelling quickly. Happy AJ will return, and our thoughts of releasing him will fade away. Our stud is back. Thank Joe. Additionally, guys like Ross need a real confidence boost. I saw the thread about what Housh said, apparently this guy has been neutered in the last 3 years. Thankfully, guys like Joe instill confidence in his teammates. Not to mention, if Ross's troubles are related to a lack of confidence in Andy, here is his chance to hit the restart button. Burrow will recognize the potential weapon he has here and will make sure to get him involved, that's just what great leaders do. Lastly, the entrance of Tee Higgins is huge for this team. When Joe gets him involved, I imagine our offense being similar to when the Cardinals drafted Anquan Boldin. Established vet in Fitz (Green in our case) with a fresh #2 who can tear it up. I'm loving the idea.

The running backs (let's get hyped)
One thing that really stood out to me during our losing season was the emotional investment of Joe Mixon. I know he wants the big contract, but I personally hope we find a way to keep him. I haven't seen many players with the weekly persistence to be positive when all is lost like Mixon did last season. Guys like Burrow will feed that mentality. With Joe (Burrow) as the brains and Joe (Mixon) as the heart of this Offense, I see a great JoJo pairing. Looking forward to watching the relationship between those two. We also still have Gio Bernard at our disposal, who isn't a scrub. Clyde Edwards Helaire thrived with Joe as his QB and I expect Gio to as well. Get that man in space in the flat, but don't get him laid out like Dalton did.... Gio may end up being a factor again, a pleasant surprise for us fans who still love him.

The TEs (You don't need premier talent here)
I think we have a decent group of guys and I'm excited to see if Drew Sample can make an impact this year. I saved this group for last on purpose... a bit of an afterthought if you will.... Once Joe has maximized the potential of the receiving room and RBs, there is going to be space for the TEs to work. I expect CJs personality to mesh well with this new JoJo culture, and his potential will be increased as well.

In summary, there have been comments on here from certain members (who will remain un-named) that don't believe Joe will have a game-changing impact the other position groups on offense and defense. I highly disagree. In fact, I think once the offense has been 'Burrow-ized', the defense will follow suit. They won't want to be left behind. This is why elite QBs go #1. This is why guys like Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck turned around franchises by their 2nd year. This is why guys like Cam Newton can take lowly franchises like the Panthers and get them to the SuperBowl. This is why Joe Burrow is the greatest thing to happen to us in this millennium.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:11 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The wide reliever group (inspiring new and old)

LOL LOL

That is AWESOME! LOL

And yes, I agree with your deductions Big Grin
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Well he's already been promoted above even Franklin Delano Roosevelt of the 1930s, huh? The only thing missing now is the date that will live in infamy and maybe the only thing we have to fear is fear itself speech..
Don't get me wrong, I love the pick and think he's going to be a very good QB, but I'm not necessarily all in on this idea of one guy being so utterly magnetic that everything and everyone who even breathe in the same air or so much as ever having crossed his path in a shopping mall will suddenly become a super star in their own right..  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:32 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well he's already been promoted above even Franklin Delano Roosevelt of the 1930s, huh? The only thing missing now is the date that will live in infamy and maybe the only thing we have to fear is fear itself speech..
Don't get me wrong, I love the pick and think he's going to be a very good QB, but I'm not necessarily all in on this idea of one guy being so utterly magnetic that everything and everyone who even breathe in the same air or so much as ever having crossed his path in a shopping mall will suddenly become a super star in their own right..  Cool

Hey grampahol, I'm sorry you're resistant to the positive influence coming in our door. I think you are part of the old culture that is holding us back. Try to have some faith bud! :)
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:11 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I don't believe that newer players (particularly John Ross) have confidence in Andy to do what he needs to do to put them in the best position.

Ross has a lack of confidence in himself, not the play of the QB.  Even Housh said it publicly.  The QB isn't the one stopping on routes or dropping balls, and Boyd keeps cranking out 1000 yard seasons with the guy.  There is zero way Ross can compare his numbers to the others in the room and say it is the QB failing to put him in position to succeed.

But I digress...
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:39 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Ross has a lack of confidence in himself, not the play of the QB.  Even Housh said it publicly.  The QB isn't the one stopping on routes or dropping balls, and Boyd keeps cranking out 1000 yard seasons with the guy.  There is zero way Ross can compare his numbers to the others in the room and say it is the QB failing to put him in position to succeed.

But I digress...

What people say and how they actually feel are often not the same. Either way, Joe could still instill confidence in the guy and turn around his performance on the field. One thing we know for certain is that Andy hasn't said or done the right things to help him do that. If it's a product of his own misery, then he will be an easy cut after this season.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:38 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hey grampahol, I'm sorry you're resistant to the positive influence coming in our door. I think you are part of the old culture that is holding us back. Try to have some faith bud! :)

Who in the world has ever said Andy Dalton is a negative influence? You really think anyone on the line wants harm to come to Dalton? I was ready to be done with Dalton a few years ago but I'd be willing to bet 95% of the players on our team would rather win in the playoffs with Andy Dalton leading them than Joe Burrow. 

Does a good QB make other players around them better...obviously. But to say it's because of his personality that people are going to magically play harder is an insult to everyone in the Bengals organization prior to Thursday night. Not even going to touch on the part where you think you can read John Ross mind and know more than him or TJ. 

There's a difference between the power of positivity and delusional thinking. Stop eating so much green corn. 
Reply/Quote
Damn, wish we hadn't wasted all of that free agent money on signing defensive players when all we needed was for Joe Burrow to be on the team to fix the defense. And he is also going to be the reason A J Green is healed.

I love the Burrow pick but talk like this is ridiculous. Did you happen to notice that 5 LSU players were taken in the first round and a total of TEN over the first three rounds? Burrow is a great QB but a lot of the success at LSU was based on the talent around him.

If Burrow could walk on water then he would have been the starter at Ohio State.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:42 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote:  One thing we know for certain is that Andy hasn't said or done the right things to help him do that. 

Actually we don't know anything like that at all.  Dalton could have done and said everything possible to help Ross, but it did not work because the problem is with Ross himself.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually we don't know anything like that at all.  Dalton could have done and said everything possible to help Ross, but it did not work because the problem is with Ross himself.

I never said it wasn't for a lack of effort, just that it can be certain that any efforts he made didn't 'fix' Ross. Again, Ross could be broken in his own right, but I don't think it's wrong to get my hopes up that a different QB can have different methods of motivation.

When people are getting counseling, sometimes they switch psychiatrists because their current one isn't working out. This isn't a knock on their current one, the relationship just isn't working for that particular patient. Still a great psychiatrist. I'm making the assumption that similar behavior could happen in the relationship between a QB and his receivers. I don't think it's a stretch to say guys respond differently to different types of motivation.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Damn, wish we hadn't wasted all of that free agent money on signing defensive players when all we needed was for Joe Burrow to be on the team to fix the defense.  And he is also going to be the reason A J Green is healed.

I love the Burrow pick but talk like this is ridiculous.  Did you happen to notice that 5 LSU players were taken in the first round and a total of TEN over the first three rounds?  Burrow is a great QB but a lot of the success at LSU was based on the talent around him.

If Burrow could walk on water then he would have been the starter at Ohio State.

Not saying that at all, this team has many places to improve. Unfortunately, you can't re-work an entire roster in one year, majority of our roster will remain the same as is the nature of the NFL. The hope is that a franchise QB can motivate guys to try just that much harder. Sure, some guys are motivated all on their own, but there are still players that need that extra push. I don't think that is too farfetched.

As for the AJ Green portion. I said "AJ Green might not realize it now, but as camp plays out and he becomes familiar with Joe, he will be rejuvenated. Barring health concerns, I see these guys gelling quickly." ... He still has to get past the injury bug, and hopefully he has.... However, have you never been upset when a coworker was replaced only to find the new guy is actually really good, even better than the last? I've had that happen, it's rejuvenating... the same may happen to AJ.

There is no arguing LSU wasn't a stacked program, however, there wasn't much turnover between Burrow's JR and SR season. Why didn't they perform as well in 2018 if they were blooming with talent? Their QB got acclimated to his lockerroom, and the benefits ensued.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:11 AM)TheSweetness Wrote: Who in the world has ever said Andy Dalton is a negative influence? You really think anyone on the line wants harm to come to Dalton? I was ready to be done with Dalton a few years ago but I'd be willing to bet 95% of the players on our team would rather win in the playoffs with Andy Dalton leading them than Joe Burrow. 

Does a good QB make other players around them better...obviously. But to say it's because of his personality that people are going to magically play harder is an insult to everyone in the Bengals organization prior to Thursday night. Not even going to touch on the part where you think you can read John Ross mind and know more than him or TJ. 

There's a difference between the power of positivity and delusional thinking. Stop eating so much green corn. 

I didn't say Dalton was a negative influence, and for the record, I have been a steady supporter of Dalton since day one. Also, I think you misinterpreted what I meant a little, I'm not implying a Remember the Titans scenario where OL are letting blockers run free to kill Dalton. OL and their QBs need to be on the same page to be effective in the blocking schemes and I currently have more faith for a closer bond between Jonah and Joe than I am Jonah and Dalton. Just my opinion though, it can certainly be wrong.

Feel free to touch the part where I 'read Ross's mind' with words like 'if'. I'm not claiming anything I said to be true, but it could be possible, couldn't it?

You can interpret my post as delusional thinking, and that's ok. I didn't post a prediction, and I personally don't believe we make the playoffs next year even with the boost Joe will have on each position group. Everything I said is within the realm of possibility, or at least that is what I believe. Sorry for ruining your Saturday with some positive thoughts.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:39 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: There is no arguing LSU wasn't a stacked program, however, there wasn't much turnover between Burrow's JR and SR season. Why didn't they perform as well in 2018 if they were blooming with talent? Their QB got acclimated to his lockerroom, and the benefits ensued.

Couldn't have possibly been college players improving from year to year.  That never happens without a magical QB in the room.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Couldn't have possibly been college players improving from year to year.  That never happens without a magical QB in the room.

Not sure why you always get your feathers ruffled Fred.

Bringing back the ol straw man arguments eh?  Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 12:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Not sure why you always get your feathers ruffled Fred.

Bringing back the ol straw man arguments eh?  Cool

Thaty was not a "straw man".  That was sarcasm.

Funny that you have not noticed that I am not the only one to get his "feathers ruffled" by your silly post.

I am going to try to stay out of this thread because people will accuse me of attacking Burrow.  That is not what I am doing at all.  I am actually attacking delusion thinking.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 01:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thaty was not a "straw man".  That was sarcasm.

Funny that you have not noticed that I am not the only one to get his "feathers ruffled" by your silly post.

I am going to try to stay out of this thread because people will accuse me of attacking Burrow.  That is not what I am doing at all.  I am actually attacking delusion thinking.

Seems I've accomplished something most posters can only dream of. Hilarious 

I guess you skimmed my first paragraph that clearly says "I can only hope that some of the following will be true."

It's okay to have a positive outlook and optimistic opinion. Sorry you don't feel that way.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 01:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I guess you skimmed my first paragraph that clearly says "I can only hope that some of the following will be true."

No.  I saw that.  But the fact that you yourself think your opinion is delusional does not change the fact that it is your opinion of what will happen.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 01:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I saw that.  But the fact that you yourself think your opinion is delusional does not change the fact that it is your opinion of what will happen.

Perhaps it's your delusional opinion that my opinion is delusional. 

Besides, why does it matter to you if my opinion is delusional? You aren't my big brother, why do you feel the need to save me from my delusions? Superiority complex runs deep in you Fred.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 02:19 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Perhaps it's your delusional opinion that my opinion is delusional. 

Besides, why does it matter to you if my opinion is delusional? You aren't my big brother, why do you feel the need to save me from my delusions? Superiority complex runs deep in you Fred.

WTF?

If you think no one is allowed to disagree with you then you don't understand how a message board works.

You basically just said that most of the Bengals played bad last year just because they did not try or did not care.  You insulted the team I follow.  Why am I not allowed to post my disagreement with this?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 02:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF?

If you think no one is allowed to disagree with you then you don't understand how a message board works.

You basically just said that most of the Bengals played bad last year just because they did not try or did not care.  You insulted the team I follow.  Why am I not allowed to post my disagreement with this?

LOL please show me where I said you weren't allowed to disagree with me. I'm not sure where I did this, apparently I'm delusional AND oblivious, a dangerous combo.

You disagreed with me, I disagreed back. I think it's YOU who doesn't understand how a message board works.
Reply/Quote