Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow Making Adjustments Like a Veteran
(06-22-2020, 08:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A lot of draft picks aren’t signed yet at this point of the summer even in normal years. I don’t think we need to start worrying about him not being a Bengal again. We’ve already been through all that nonsense.

I'm certainly not worrying.  But given what has been going on, I just tossed that out there as food for thought. It could be an interesting scenario and I don't think considering that is nonsense. 

I'm sure the possibility of no 2020 season is on the radar of NFL owners, managers, players, drafted players and agents.  If that happens and how it is dealt with could be rather complicated as I stated above. I'd bet there are a lot of legal issues between the NFL, NFLPA and what not that would complicate things even more in that case.

But as I also said, I feel that if the 2020 season is cancelled the NFL will find a way for teams to retain the signing rights of players drafted in 2020 through 2021.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
A player, especially a 1st round player (let alone #1 overall) would have to be a complete imbecile not to sign because he's waiting to see what happens with Covid. These players are coming out of college, and can sign their contract and collect the multi-million dollar signing bonus even if they don't play. The only wait is the usual wait.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 02:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Sucks we couldn't read the article. He is going to be excellent for our team.

CINCINNATI — Even in a world where every day feels like a surreal alternate universe, it’s hard to find much more surreal than Joe Burrow screaming cadence and audible calls to his teammates, designed for use around 65,000 fans, against the walls of his parents’ house in Athens.
A few steps away is where his folks make lunch.
“It’s a weird world we are living in,” offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said, “but that’s what it was.”
What it was, more precisely, was the Zooming of Joe Burrow.
This has been the setting most days over the last month for one of the most telling and encouraging exercises in his short professional career.
Coaches were forced to carve a new path over this digital offseason teaching a rookie quarterback a system he’ll be asked to master once training camp begins as he meets many of his teammates in person for the first time.
This task required creativity, imagination and impeccable Wi-Fi.
What emerged, however, is an experimental test case in how to immerse young quarterbacks in the NFL experience and a cementing of the reasons the Bengals have always been all in on Burrow.
“Everything I would have hoped to have seen in this weird format, I saw,” quarterbacks coach Dan Pitcher said, as the offseason program officially wrapped for the Bengals last week. “There’s that big void there of taking it to the field and doing it, but we have evidence of him doing it at arguably the highest level a college quarterback has ever done it six months ago. It is college football and the jump, but it’s been what I expected and he’s pleasantly verified what I thought I was going to see.”
‘That interaction was so important’
When head coach Zac Taylor, Callahan and Pitcher huddled before this unprecedented offseason program, they set a goal to get as close to simulating the basics of an in-person offseason as possible for their new quarterback.
Some elements will just be impossible. There will be no learning from interceptions. There will be no showing off physical skills or limitations. There would be no football.
There would be four two-hour Zoom sessions per week.
But the advantage would be the program could focus on teaching the offense completely without interruption from practices, all the way down to explaining the library of drills that would be used whenever practice resumes.
“We got to have these lengthy conversations about a lot of things where you don’t get the time to do that until they just come up and you are forced to do it,” Callahan said of an installation that in an average year would be based around installing enough to be able to pull off the next day’s practice. “He could wrap his brain around how everything that works for us and how he can manipulate it and spin for what he wants to do as a quarterback.”
That includes talking through the creation of a playbook that brings to life concepts Burrow liked from LSU and meshing them into the Bengals’ system.
“We looked at (LSU tape) with him and he was able to share his thoughts about what he really liked and wanted to continue doing,” Pitcher said. “He and Brian would talk about it, say, ‘We very easily can incorporate these because we already do something similar. Maybe these are new but worthwhile. These couple can go on the back burner.’ It was a natural process that takes place.”
[Image: USATSI_14259750.jpg]
Joe Burrow’s Zoom-based existence with the Bengals began on draft night in April. (NFL via USA Today)

Finding anything natural in this unnatural environment was considered a win. It’s also why the staff came away excited by what they witnessed in Zoom walk-throughs that evolved over the last month.
Once they felt like Burrow was comfortable in the offense, they wanted to re-create what would happen on the field in a normal June.
Taylor and the staff mostly didn’t want to come away from this program with teammates uncomfortable with Burrow’s voice and communication skills, specifically his vocal relationship with center Trey Hopkins running the pre-snap routine.
So, they set up a Zoom call with the entire offense. With everyone looking at film of a play, they all would be muted except for Burrow and Hopkins. Taylor then would be on a FaceTime call with Burrow with his Zoom muted. The quarterback would have an earbud with Taylor’s call acting as the helmet speaker.
Taylor would relay the call as the entire group looked at the play on film up on the screen. The play clock would start and then Burrow and Hopkins would need to work together to relay protections, audibles, checks and fire off the snap count.
A player at that point would be quickly asked to talk through their responsibility on the play or what they were thinking in the route or protection.
“It was interesting, for sure. You are trying to find every way possible to simulate him getting a play call in his ear and having to relay that information to the team and visual stimulus of a play in front of everybody,” Pitcher said. “We had to be as inventive as we could be with some of that stuff … I’m sure he had to let (his parents) know he was hollering out the cadence and not locked in a closet or something.”
The staff can joke about the process, but the communication these exercises established has turned out to be quite valuable.
“That allowed Joe to call the play, he would be with the offense, they would hear him talk, they would hear his snap count,” said Callahan, estimating they’d done this for some period of time every session since late May. “They’d hear all the things him and Trey would communicate about pre-snap. They would hear him talk through whatever the criteria was for any checks or audibles or whatever the protection calls were. Him and Trey would have a dialogue. Trey would start to point and Joe could trump it and change it and make it something else. Just to get that interaction was so important for a young quarterback, to be in front of the unit.”
[img=898x2559]https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/11/14011046/USATSI_13648632.jpg[/img]
The coaching staff hopes center Trey Hopkins has started to build a rapport with their new quarterback through the exercises conducted with the offense on Zoom. (Joe Maiorana / USA Today)

‘I don’t anticipate there being a lot of mental failing’
Taylor spent most of the spring bouncing around each positional meeting and probably spent more time listening to what was going on then in a normal year. There was no dropping in on each group without the interruption of the head coach opening a door or walking around halls.
With an increased involvement elsewhere, the coach left most of the schooling of Burrow to Pitcher and Callahan.
Outside of an early meeting when the first-year quarterbacks coach accidentally forgot to let Taylor into a QBs meeting for 15 minutes as the Zoom host, the results left everyone as confident as possible heading into the potential return of practice next month.
Rookie quarterbacks always go through the failing on the field while trying to gain instinctive knowledge of the system. The process has been inverted here, with the system fully going in first and Burrow being able to take over on the fieldwork from this point forward.
This portion of the program played into his wheelhouse, but it will be interesting to see what kind of efficiency it creates in how fast he can start playing well between the lines.
“It’s a unique case study,” Pitcher said. “Something to this extent hasn’t happened before. The failing — there’s value in that. There’s value in testing the physical limits. Seeing, OK, I’m going to fit this throw in there, not the best idea. Or maybe I can fit this throw in there. We are very fortunate working with Joe and his skill set, I don’t anticipate there being a lot of mental failing when it comes to Joe. He works extremely hard — don’t get me wrong, he’s a rookie but he’s going to make mistakes as any rookie in that are — but getting to work with him as much as we have between Zac and Cally and myself, I feel really good where we are at as far as that goes.”
‘I know you are, but we’re not’
Many have wondered about Burrow getting the group of receivers together for a throwing session as we’ve seen other quarterbacks put together around the league — whether Josh Allen with the Bills in Florida or Matt Ryan with the Falcons in Atlanta.
The hope is a group, led by Burrow and A.J. Green, is aiming to throw something together after the Fourth of July holiday. Even just starting to establish chemistry and relationships will be a plus, but the logistics are still in motion and obvious uncertainties abound.
Regardless, when they arrive together whenever training camp or a potential earlier acclimation period begins, Burrow won’t be coming in blind in the first steps toward establishing leadership and belief in his abilities from teammates and coaches.
He may be a rookie and treated like a rookie, but it’s clear they are dealing with somebody different. The instinctual nature of Burrow’s football knowledge, particularly in analyzing the big picture of every play, was the most obvious takeaway of the last few months.
“He’s a coach’s kid, so he’s been hanging around football since he was a little kid,” said Callahan, notably also a coach’s kid, son of former head coach and current Browns offensive line coach Bill Callahan. “He’s got such a feel for it. A lot of these things aren’t new for him. Maybe the translation of how it hits his brain and word of it is different, but it’s not new. He picks things up really quickly and has an analytical brain where once he has command of it, now he knows how to fit the pieces together. What if I do this and this in this situation? Great, I love that, that’s what guys who have been playing for eight years do. The adjustments are so easy for him because he has such great understanding of how the pieces of an offense fit together versus a defense.”
[img=898x2619]https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/05/23192741/AP_19113745048011.jpg[/img]
Zac Taylor, left, didn’t have the luxury of getting out on the field with his players and staff this spring as he did as seen here last April. (John Minchillo / Associated Press)

Callahan acknowledges Burrow probably got bored at times, not just from being tired of Zoom meetings along with the rest of the working world, but the coaches made a point to coach everyone at a rookie pace even though his thought process might be many steps ahead of those basics.
“Sometimes he would say things early on and I’d say, we are not talking about that right now, let’s just get through what we need to get through here and then we can revisit that later,” Callahan said. “We will probably answer that question you have in a day or two days or three days because we are not there yet. I know you are, but we’re not.”
There’s only so much you can show in these sessions. The coaches used an app called Notability that allows you to share screens and write live with the Apple Pencil to simulate whiteboard work. They found that handy to help Burrow or Ryan Finley or Jake Dolegala work the board and constantly be teaching the plays and concepts back to the coaches.
Anything to break up the monotony.
The consistent takeaway from all the coaches involved was Burrow’s unrelenting desire to make sure he had this system understood. That much was obvious. As was the advanced nature of his acumen.
These are all traits they knew they were getting from Burrow or had heard enough stories about during the draft process to assume it to be true, but to see it in motion in this unorthodox setting was striking.
“The ability to take a concept that takes some guys maybe an offseason to learn, it would take a huge concept and he’s immediately thinking about the next level of things,” Callahan said. “’What can I get to that’s better than this? What if we get this coverage, I don’t like this look here what can I do?’ Well, here’s your options. OK, good.
“His processing information and applying it to the next level was what was really impressive to me.”
The field awaits. Putting the arm in lockstep with the brain comes next. He’s still a rookie and nobody expects perfection. But he enters with a base of knowledge for what the Bengals are trying to accomplish that almost no rookie quarterback is afforded upon taking his first snap in a pro helmet.
Will that make a difference? Nobody knows. But forced by life to find a new way to groom a rookie quarterback, the Bengals did just that and feel as good as you can about what they were actually able to get from it.
Specifically, what Burrow was able to get from it. It lays the foundation of not just learning the offense, but also earning the respect of the entire team.
“He comes in right away because he understands all of it and he has a ton of confidence and a ton of command,” Callahan said, “and I think those guys are immediately drawn to that.”

(Top photo: John Korduner / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

What did you think of this story?
Reply/Quote
“White bread, ham, hammmm, pepper jack cheeeese, Mayo, Mayo, pickles, tomato!”

Joe also screams at his mother for a sandwich amidst practicing play calls.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2020, 10:38 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: “White bread, ham, hammmm, pepper jack cheeeese, Mayo, Mayo, pickles, tomato!”

Joe also screams at his mother for a sandwich amidst practicing play calls.

Sounds a lot better than Carson yelling plays to his mom in the kitchen. JOHN MORREL, JOHN MORREL, GO DEEP, SLUT SLUT SLUT!

Reply/Quote
Thanks for the full article Synric, nice read. Very interesting seeing how everyone is adjusting and doing what they
can to prepare everyone. Love hearing Burrow and Trey Hop working on their communication already and getting
down that chemistry. So happy Hop came around the last couple of years and became a decent Center for us.

Love everything I am hearing about Burrow, honestly doesn't surprise me though. Dude is special.
Reply/Quote
sounds like the coaches don't know how to handle someone smarter than them.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2020, 10:30 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: sounds like the coaches don't know how to handle someone smarter than them.

I'm not sure that's what you were supposed to take from this article.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2020, 10:44 PM)Earendil Wrote: I'm not sure that's what you were supposed to take from this article.

This article that summarized it, did too.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/24/bengals-joe-burrow-so-far-ahead-coaches-asked-slow-down/

Could turn into a LeBron, where very few coaches are ahead of him. Kind of reminds you of school, teaching to the lowest common denominator. Based on Bengals performance history, he might want need to do some training outside of class himself...lol.
Reply/Quote
That doesn't mean he's smarter than they are. They probably have a certain order that they want to install the offense and it doesn't help if he's skipping steps.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2020, 01:47 AM)Earendil Wrote: That doesn't mean he's smarter than they are. They probably have a certain order that they want to install the offense and it doesn't help if he's skipping steps.

Agreed, just means he’s eager. There have been plenty of jobs where I have tried to jump ahead like Joe here and was told to slow down a bit. You’re ahead of the curve sure, but you could miss something valuable or overlook and important detail. Sometimes you gotta wait and help your peers as well. It’s all good, Joe is just excited to win ROY lol
Reply/Quote
They actually posted a bit of a recent Zoom call between Joe Burrow and Brian Callahan on a Youtube fan channel. Pretty interesting dynamic between to the two I think. Here it is:

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2020, 10:30 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: sounds like the coaches don't know how to handle someone smarter than them.

I disagree with that take. If you have a chance, listen to interview with the OC done by the writer of the article. "Hear that podcast gowlin" is the podcast. That isn't how it comes across at all.

A group can only move as fast as it's slowest member. If not, people get left behind until only the fastest guy remains.  That definitely doesn't aork jn a sport like football. They have to take this stuff in a specific order and pace to make sure every player in every position group is on the same page at the same time. Or else, there will be major failures in actual play.

The QB being the smartest guy in the room is a good thing. Blowing by everyone else is not.
Reply/Quote
I have alwasy said that you can't judge an NFL player by his rookie season. So if Burrow is not Superman right away there is no need to panic, but He really does have some advantages over other recent high draft picks when it comes to being prepared to start from day one.

-He spent five years in college. Don't know when the last time a top QB prospect had much experience.

-His time in college was at the top programs in the country. No offense to small college prospects because there have been a lot of them that became great NFL QBs (Augustana College says "hi"), but the coaches at top division one programs are usually better. His OC in college, Joe Brady, has already been promoted to an NFL OC in Carolina.

-He basically had to learn 3 different offense schemes in college. He only played at two different schools, but LSU's offense changed dramatically from '18 to '19 when Joe Brady showed up.

These are three big reasons why Burrow should be able to play well as a rookie. I am not surprised he is impressing the coaches with his knowledge of the game.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2020, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have alwasy said that you can't judge an NFL player by his rookie season. So if Burrow is not Superman right away there is no need to panic, but He really does have some advantages over other recent high draft picks when it comes to being prepared to start from day one.

-He spent five years in college. Don't know when the last time a top QB prospect had much experience.

-His time in college was at the top programs in the country. No offense to small college prospects because there have been a lot of them that became great NFL QBs (Augustana College says "hi"), but the coaches at top division one programs are usually better. His OC in college, Joe Brady, has already been promoted to an NFL OC in Carolina.

-He basically had to learn 3 different offense schemes in college. He only played at two different schools, but LSU's offense changed dramatically from '18 to '19 when Joe Brady showed up.

These are three big reasons why Burrow should be able to play well as a rookie. I am not surprised he is impressing the coaches with his knowledge of the game.

Agreed, I also think he has shown that he can handle adversity. Nothing was handed to him and he had to make his own way to become what he is now. A lot of college QBs are groomed and pampered for four years, Joe had to fight for his right to start. To me what he did took a lot of perseverance.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2020, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have alwasy said that you can't judge an NFL player by his rookie season.  So if Burrow is not Superman right away there is no need to panic, but He really does have some advantages over other recent high draft picks when it comes to being prepared to start from day one.

-He spent five years in college.  Don't know when the last time a top QB prospect had much experience.

-His time in college was at the top programs in the country.  No offense to small college prospects because there have been a lot of them that became great NFL QBs (Augustana College says "hi"), but the coaches at top division one programs are usually better.  His OC in college, Joe Brady, has already been promoted to an NFL OC in Carolina.

-He basically had to learn 3 different offense schemes in college.  He only played at two different schools, but LSU's offense changed dramatically from '18 to '19 when Joe Brady showed up.

These are three big reasons why Burrow should be able to play well as a rookie.  I am not surprised he is impressing the coaches with his knowledge of the game.

Russell Wilson 2007-2011. Also a graduate transfer.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 12:53 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Russell Wilson 2007-2011. Also a graduate transfer.

Wilson did not sit out a year when he transfered to Wisconsin, so I thought he only played 4 seasons.  But he redshirted his first year at NC State and did have 5 years of college experience.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2020, 10:31 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I disagree with that take. If you have a chance, listen to interview with the OC done by the writer of the article. "Hear that podcast gowlin" is the podcast. That isn't how it comes across at all.

A group can only move as fast as it's slowest member. If not, people get left behind until only the fastest guy remains.  That definitely doesn't aork jn a sport like football. They have to take this stuff in a specific order and pace to make sure every player in every position group is on the same page at the same time. Or else, there will be major failures in actual play.

The QB being the smartest guy in the room is a good thing. Blowing by everyone else is not.

Agree with PDub80, been awhile....
Reply/Quote