Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow ball velocity
There is a really good article in The Athletic today talking about Jordan Palmer and how he uses technology such as 3d cameras and pressure plates to tweak QB throwing motions. For example, we all read the Joe Burrow has gotten stronger in the core and glutes. Well, that is because they discovered that Joe was throwing from his toes in certain situations. When they were working together before the draft Joe's velocity never measured above 48.5 MPH. Palmer estimates that most NFL QBs throw in the 47-53 mph range so Joe was at the low end of that. After working together, with Joe getting stronger, and fixing the toe push off issue, he was measured consistently at 54mph.

If this work does for Joe what it has done for Josh Allen...holy moly he's gonna go crazy on the field

The really interesting article itself is behind a paywall

https://theathletic.com/2719015/2021/07/23/this-technology-could-give-bills-qb-josh-allen-and-bengals-qb-joe-burrow-a-big-boost-in-their-nfl-careers/

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Been hearing this all Offseason from the receivers and Joe himself talking about the injury made him use his hips more
and it led to this increased velocity. That is a huge growth, wild. I am excited for Joe this season with the additions and
the way he goes about the game mentally and physically. Could be a great sophomore year for him.

As noted in the other thread about Chase love. The OL's biggest question right now is not pass protection but run blocking.

Might have to use the pass to set up the run.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 01:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Might have to use the pass to set up the run.

I can't see us getting away from the pass heavy mantra set in 2020.  Burrow is going to be slinging as often as Stafford did with the Lions, I'd reckon. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 01:28 PM)pally Wrote: There is a really good article in The Athletic today talking about Jordan Palmer and how he uses technology such as 3d cameras and pressure plates to tweak QB throwing motions.  For example, we all read the Joe Burrow has gotten stronger in the core and glutes.  Well, that is because they discovered that Joe was throwing from his toes in certain situations.  When they were working together before the draft Joe's velocity never measured above 48.5 MPH.  Palmer estimates that most NFL QBs throw in the 47-53 mph range so Joe was at the low end of that.  After working together, with Joe getting stronger, and fixing the toe push off issue, he was measured consistently at 54mph.

If this work does for Joe what it has done for Josh Allen...holy moly he's gonna go crazy on the field

The really interesting article itself is behind a paywall

https://theathletic.com/2719015/2021/07/23/this-technology-could-give-bills-qb-josh-allen-and-bengals-qb-joe-burrow-a-big-boost-in-their-nfl-careers/

For as average as Jordan was in the NFL, the dude certainly has had a major impact on several other QBs careers.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 01:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't see us getting away from the pass heavy mantra set in 2020.  Burrow is going to be slinging as often as Stafford did with the Lions, I'd reckon. 

Possible even if I don't like it. I like the balanced approach.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 01:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: For as average as Jordan was in the NFL, the dude certainly has had a major impact on several other QBs careers.

It feels like it is often the aggressively average and bubble guys who turn out to be the best coaches. Probably because they had to get there based off effort and research which can be taught and transferred compared to overwhelming natural talent which cannot.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 01:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: For as average as Jordan was in the NFL, the dude certainly has had a major impact on several other QBs careers.

Average performers make the best trainers, from sports to sales and many professions between.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 02:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Possible even if I don't like it. I like the balanced approach.

If we have an elite QB throwing to a stacked WR corps in a league where even looking at a WR funny is a penalty, then balance can to fly a kite. 
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 02:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It feels like it is often the aggressively average and bubble guys who turn out to be the best coaches. Probably because they had to get there based off effort and research which can be taught and transferred compared to overwhelming natural talent which cannot.

(07-23-2021, 02:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Average performers make the best trainers, from sports to sales and many professions between.

So John Ross should be one hell of a WR coach.  Ninja Ninja Ninja

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 02:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So John Ross should be one hell of a WR coach.  Ninja Ninja Ninja

Maybe.  Our current HC couldn't even throw a single pass in the CFL and he's gonna "get it" this year.  
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 02:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe.  Our current HC couldn't even throw a single pass in the CFL and he's gonna "get it" this year.  

Didn’t he set records at Nebraska? That’s textbook average if I’ve ever seen it.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 02:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If we have an elite QB throwing to a stacked WR corps in a league where even looking at a WR funny is a penalty, then balance can to fly a kite. 

Agree with that!
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 02:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If we have an elite QB throwing to a stacked WR corps in a league where even looking at a WR funny is a penalty, then balance can to fly a kite. 

how to get an OL to gel....

RUN THE BALL

how to save the QB from unneeded hits..

RUN THE BALL.

How to eat clock so your defense can breathe.

RUN THE BALL.

of course you have to do it moderately well... If we can run successfully Joe and the receivers will have big days
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 03:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: how to get an OL to gel....

RUN THE BALL

RUN THE BALL.

RUN THE BALL.

of course you have to do it moderately well...   If we can run successfully Joe and the receivers will have big days

I get that but Mixon hasn't seen the field much and ZT doesn't seem to care about running it even when Mixon is healthy.  Our running game hasn't looked all that great and we have Burrow and Chase and don't seem to be shying away from a pass heavy offense.  

Better just embrace it.  I assure you you won't miss a 2 yard run when Burrow hits chase deep. 
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 03:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get that but Mixon hasn't seen the field much and ZT doesn't seem to care about running it even when Mixon is healthy.  Our running game hasn't looked all that great and we have Burrow and Chase and don't seem to be shying away from a pass heavy offense.  

Better just embrace it.  I assure you you won't miss a 2 yard run when Burrow hits chase deep. 

the runs help set up play action which helps kill the pass rush.

I know our HC is very one dimensional     but thats a bad thing not a good one
Reply/Quote

Those that can..do

Those that can't..teach
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Those that can..do

Those that can't..teach

Those that cant Teach.... Write the text books
Reply/Quote

Still have to be moderately successful running the ball to keep Defenses off guard.

We aren't deep at WR either. At least use Mixon and the RB's in the passing game as an extension of the running game.

(07-23-2021, 03:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: how to get an OL to gel....

RUN THE BALL

RUN THE BALL.

RUN THE BALL.

of course you have to do it moderately well...   If we can run successfully Joe and the receivers will have big days

ThumbsUp

(07-23-2021, 04:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the runs help set up play action which helps kill the pass rush.

I know our HC is very one dimensional     but thats a bad thing not a good one

Sad but true. Carman is a good run blocker and Jonah could be if he stays healthy. But other than that we have purely pass 
protectors, not a bad thing, but you would like the entire OL to be able to do both. Reiter is another pure pass protector.
Reply/Quote
Shouldn't be a surprise the offseason between year 1 and year 2 is always huge for higher round draft picks. They get those specialized coaches, nutritionists etc. Ja'marr Chase got a head start with the opt out.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

He wasn't doing this kind of thing when he was an active player.

He was creating apps like runpee.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote