Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow is out here throwing guys open
Joe Burrow is doing what I've only seen a handful of QBs do in this league...he's throwing guys open.

How many times in the past did we talk about how many weapons Andy needed on offense in order to elevate him? Andy was a fine quarterback hitting guys that were open, but he was just limited.

Burrow is out here putting up numbers and making this offense run with who? Drew Sample, a rookie in Higgins, Boyd, and...a washed AJ Green?

I just watched the extended highlights from yesterday and Joe is literally throwing guys open. Most of the time they are covered pretty well but he's putting the ball where only our guys can catch it. Man that's just so amazing to see. He's elevating this offense more than just putting up passing yards and TDs.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Tate made a hell of a catch yesterday on that sideline throw. The throw to the back of the end zone to sample (not the interception) was an amazing throw as well!
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 02:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe Burrow is doing what I've only seen a handful of QBs do in this league...he's throwing guys open.

How many times in the past did we talk about how many weapons Andy needed on offense in order to elevate him? Andy was a fine quarterback hitting guys that were open, but he was just limited.

Burrow is out here putting up numbers and making this offense run with who? Drew Sample, a rookie in Higgins, Boyd, and...a washed AJ Green?

I just watched the extended highlights from yesterday and Joe is literally throwing guys open. Most of the time they are covered pretty well but he's putting the ball where only our guys can catch it. Man that's just so amazing to see. He's elevating this offense more than just putting up passing yards and TDs.

RBs are doing better than Green.
Mixon + Bernard = 25 rec, 186 yards

Sample and Higgins are right on AJ's coat tails when it comes to receptions. Green = 14, Higgins and Sample = 12 each. Sample would probably be ahead of Green if he had been the starting TE the first two games.

With Boyd looking like a perennial 1000+ yard WR, Higgins trending toward a legit WR2, and Burrow getting the TEs and RBs involved in the passing game, I don't see a big need for the Bengals to invest a lot of draft capital or $$ into a new WR next year.
Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder, but I'd look for OL/DL in the first two rounds for sure. You can typically find a WR3-caliber vet in FA too who can be had for $5 mill a year, which would save a draft pick for even more OL/DL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 02:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: RBs are doing better than Green.

Sample and Higgins are right on AJ's coat tails when it comes to receptions. Green = 14, Higgins and Sample = 12 each. Sample would probably be ahead of Green if he had been the starting TE the first two games.

With Boyd looking like a perennial 1000+ yard WR, Higgins trending toward a legit WR2, and Burrow getting the TEs and RBs involved in the passing game, I don't see a big need for the Bengals to invest a lot of draft capital or $$ into a new WR next year.
Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder, but I'd look for OL/DL in the first two rounds for sure. You can typically find a WR3-caliber vet in FA too who can be had for $5 mill a year, which would save a draft pick for even more OL/DL.

I'd love for this offense to get some more speed on it. Boyd, Higgins, Tate all look good...but I would love to have that play making speed guy. I think its one of the last pieces. This is where Ross not working out kills you. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 02:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe Burrow is doing what I've only seen a handful of QBs do in this league...he's throwing guys open.

Don't forget Cethan Carter.  If Burrow can continue to hit him in full stride, like he did yesterday?  He'll soon be drawing serious coverage attention.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 03:28 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd love for this offense to get some more speed on it. Boyd, Higgins, Tate all look good...but I would love to have that play making speed guy. I think its one of the last pieces. This is where Ross not working out kills you. 

Indeed.
Is it worth activating Ross for a game or two to see if he's "got it" now?
The Bengals might need to try given there's a good chance they have to play from behind over the next month.

Another option could be going for cheap speed guy like Taylor Gabriel (available now) or wait until offseason for someone like Paul Richardson or Will Fuller. Fuller would command (much) more $$ than Richardson or Gabriel obviously, and it could be $8+ mill a year if he hits 800+ yards this season. Fuller is on pace for 1100 yards this season, but has never had more than 670 a season prior.
Richardson is similar to Ross where he's been underwhelming based on where he was drafted, but the guy is a speedster. Should be very cheap to sign.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 02:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: RBs are doing better than Green.

Green, Ross, Erickson, and Thomas are all UFA's next year.  They definitely need to invest some draft capital there.

Boyd is also primarily a slot WR.  Most of the cheaper veteran #3 WR's are pure slot guys.  

The current WR group is having trouble getting separation, getting the down field passing game going, and scoring in the red zone.  Boyd is the only one consistently generating separation, though Higgins should improve as he becomes a more polished route runner.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 03:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Indeed.
The Bengals might need to try given there's a good chance they have to play from behind over the next month.

Another option could be going for cheap speed guy like Taylor Gabriel (available now) or wait until offseason for someone like Paul Richardson or Will Fuller. Fuller would command (much) more $$ than Richardson or Gabriel obviously, and it could be $8+ mill a year if he hits 800+ yards this season. Fuller is on pace for 1100 yards this season, but has never had more than 670 a season prior.
Richardson is similar to Ross where he's been underwhelming based on where he was drafted, but the guy is a speedster. Should be very cheap to sign.

Gabriel opted out of 2020.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 04:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: Green, Ross, Erickson, and Thomas are all UFA's next year.  They definitely need to invest some draft capital there.

Boyd is also primarily a slot WR.  Most of the cheaper veteran #3 WR's are pure slot guys.  

The current WR group is having trouble getting separation, getting the down field passing game going, and scoring in the red zone.  Boyd is the only one consistently generating separation, though Higgins should improve as he becomes a more polished route runner.  

I’m sure there’d be plenty of meltdowns here if we take anything but OL or pass rusher in the 1st, but Ja’Marr Chase and Justyn Ross would be very tempting if either one are there when we pick...

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 04:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: Green, Ross, Erickson, and Thomas are all UFA's next year.  They definitely need to invest some draft capital there.

But a 1st or 2nd round pick?
That's what I mean when I say "a lot of draft capital."

Your WR1 can still be your slot receiver. Look at Adam Thielen, or all the Patriots WRs over the years.
It doesn't matter where your top WR lines up, he just has to produce.
And Boyd is producing as a WR1.

All I'm getting at is I don't think the Bengals have to use a premium pick on a WR in 2021, especially given the need at OL and DL.
Boyd can be your primary option with Higgins and Tate outside to start the year next year.
Re-sign Thomas as your WR4/5, and draft a guy in Rd 3-4 to groom.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

You'll get no argument from me.  It is really a beautiful thing to behold.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
That throw to Higgie Baby was unreal. Dropped it in between
2 defenders.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 03:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Indeed.

Man, Ross ain't shit. Let that ship sail on.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
That thread title is going to be a Bat-signal for some people.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 04:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Man, Ross ain't shit. Let that ship sail on.

AJ hasn't been either though. Neither is Erickson.

I'd understand if Ross was inactive the rest of the season (barring injury), but it would be nice to give him one last chance, at least if (when?) the Bengals are no longer in playoff contention.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 04:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ hasn't been either though. Neither is Erickson.

I'd understand if Ross was inactive the rest of the season (barring injury), but it would be nice to give him one last chance, at least if (when?) the Bengals are no longer in playoff contention.

If for nothing else, to at least have him make the defenses cover the deep ball.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 04:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ hasn't been either though. Neither is Erickson.

They will usually at least catch the ball when it goes their way, and Erickson contributes on punt returns. Ross is, was, and will be....a bust. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 05:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: They will usually at least catch the ball when it goes their way, and Erickson contributes on punt returns. Ross is, was, and will be....a bust. 

AJ Green's catch rate this year is 46.4%, which is 101st in the league.
If you remove the targets that were deemed uncatchable, he's still only at 65% true catch rate, which is 105th in the league.
https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/aj-green/

That's about on par with Ross from 2019 (50% CR, 63.6% TCR).

2020 NFL salary:
AJ Green - $18.1 mill
John Ross - $5.5 mill

People should be more mad that the WR with the second-biggest cap hit in the league only has the 99th most receiving yards, and he's not even injured.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 04:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But a 1st or 2nd round pick?
That's what I mean when I say "a lot of draft capital."

Your WR1 can still be your slot receiver. Look at Adam Thielen, or all the Patriots WRs over the years.
It doesn't matter where your top WR lines up, he just has to produce.
And Boyd is producing as a WR1.

All I'm getting at is I don't think the Bengals have to use a premium pick on a WR in 2021, especially given the need at OL and DL.
Boyd can be your primary option with Higgins and Tate outside to start the year next year.
Re-sign Thomas as your WR4/5, and draft a guy in Rd 3-4 to groom.

Thielen has 4 TD's this year.  Boyd has 1.  From a catches and yardage standpoint, he's producing like a #1, but not from a scoring standpoint.  Honestly, we would probably be 3-1 right now if not for the fact that we have been brutally bad in the red zone.  We need somebody that can get separation and win down there.  

They need to fix the OL in FA.  Drafting OL is for the future.  They need guys that can step in and play at a high level immediately for that unit.  They don't need to draft a guy and do on the job training.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 06:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: Thielen has 4 TD's this year.  Boyd has 1.  From a catches and yardage standpoint, he's producing like a #1, but not from a scoring standpoint.  Honestly, we would probably be 3-1 right now if not for the fact that we have been brutally bad in the red zone.  We need somebody that can get separation and win down there.  

They need to fix the OL in FA.  Drafting OL is for the future.  They need guys that can step in and play at a high level immediately for that unit.  They don't need to draft a guy and do on the job training.

TDs scored since start of 2018 (since Auden Tate entered league and Boyd blossomed):
Tyler Boyd - 13 (7, 6, 1)
John Ross - 10 (7, 3, 0)
AJ Green - 6
Auden Tate - 1
Mike Thomas - 1
Alex Erickson - 0
Drew Sample - 0

Perhaps activate the guy who has the second-most TDs on the team in that time span and use him in the red zone if the Bengals want to score more TDs this year?

I realize you are referring to next year, but perhaps it's worth trying to keep Ross as a RZ weapon.
If not, Chase is obviously a great choice (if he's there). He scored 20 TDs last season and has the rapport with Burrow.
Kyle Pitts is making his way up draft boards and might be worth a selection in the teens come draft day. He's already put up 6 TDs this season in just 2 games.
Devonta Smith had 14 TDs last season and Waddle is on pace for double-digit TDs this year.

I just think it's a smarter investment to get OL/DL in the first two rounds as opposed to WR. Yes, the Bengals need to get one good OL in FA, but they also probably need to get one in the draft too, much like how CLE did this past offseason with Conklin and Wills.
They also need a pass rusher, might need a CB too.

I can understand WR, but it would be lower on my priority list unless they properly address OL (and CB/pass rusher) in FA first.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote